varroa testing

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

southbee

Gold
Southland
Experience
Commercial
Hi guys, just curious what people are using to test for varroa (sugar shake/alcohol wash etc) and how effective it is. We're using CO2 at the moment and just wondering what everyone reckons is the best method.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Don't use Co2 myself but seems like a good method as it gets an accurate result and does not kill the bees.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
I use the bought shaker, with methylated spirits. Just because I'm locked into that as my approved method for testing bees for export to Canada. The Co2 method came along after that, if I was starting again that's the way I would go.

However apart from export bees where testing is mandatory I don't test the hives, it's too time consuming to test them all, I just assess by the look of the brood and the bees, and the general vibe the hive gives off.

UK
Experience
International
I assume that there is varroa and treat anyway. It's done in late summer after the honey comes off and then Oxalic Acid in winter. If I see deformed wings/signs of varroa, I'll have to decide what to do but if it's just before the honey comes off, for example, I might have to wait and treat once the honey has been removed.