NZ Beekeepers +
john berry

AFB outbreak

john berry    2,156

Had my first AFB in about four years today which is a bit annoying. A bit weird as well because it's in a really isolated spot and as far as I know I have the only hives within five or 6 km. I see you still can't report how bad an infection is on API web although you can on the AFB website. There were only a few infected cells and they were all a very light milk chocolate colour so at least I found it early and I just have to hope I don't get any more. The cost and time involved an AFB destruction is depressing but for me the worst thing as having to kill a hive.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 8

frazzledfozzle    4,660

Does anyone know if larvae that have just been infected and not yet turned coffee colour still rope out ?

cBank    39

Got a notification of AFB within 3km and found 2 dead feral colony’s in One Tree Hill (2km away) at the weekend. Hope they aren’t infected...

Edited by cBank
Big typo

Josh    111
1 hour ago, john berry said:

Had my first AFB in about four years today which is a bit annoying. A bit weird as well because it's in a really isolated spot and as far as I know I have the only hives within five or 6 km. I see you still can't report how bad an infection is on API web although you can on the AFB website. There were only a few infected cells and they were all a very light milk chocolate colour so at least I found it early and I just have to hope I don't get any more. The cost and time involved an AFB destruction is depressing but for me the worst thing as having to kill a hive.

Considering its isolation, would it be (could it have been) worthwhile sending it for testing. Or use a test kit?

Are you suspicious of cross contamination if it is so isolated?

i only ask for my own information. All my apiarys Are urban and have had 5km notices from apiweb, so I’d assume robbing if one become contaminated

Edited by Josh

Rob Stockley    2,756
1 minute ago, Josh said:

Considering its isolation, would it be (could it have been) worthwhile sending it for testing. Or use a test kit?

Are you suspicious of cross contamination if it is so isolated?

I think what John was suggesting is that his isolated spot may not be so isolated anymore.

AFB has to come from somewhere. If it didn't come from within his operation (4 years no incidence) then someone must have brought it to him - over the fence style.

• Agree 1

Josh    111

Ahh, that makes sense. So his “isolated” site is no longer 

• Agree 1

CraBee    390
2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Does anyone know if larvae that have just been infected and not yet turned coffee colour still rope out ?

And also:  If a coffee coloured cell(s) liquify but don't rope out is there anything else that could have caused that?

yesbut    3,476
8 hours ago, CraBee said:

And also:  If a coffee coloured cell(s) liquify but don't rope out is there anything else that could have caused that?

Plain old PMS/starved dead rotted grubs 

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 1

Alastair    4,323

Yes, sometimes PMS or sacbrood can be the exact colour of afb, but it doesn't rope the same. 

To what Frazz said, can't answer that, but what I do know is the ropiness of an afb larvae is caused by the long shape of the afb organisms, they intertwine with each other and cause the whole thing to be sticky and ropey. To do that, there has to be a lot of them, giving the larva it's brown colour, so my suspicion is that an early stage white one wouldn't rope.

I sometimes find white larvae slumped exactly like an afb larva, always a worry. What I do is write on the lid with a felt pen, including the date, and this alerts me the next few times I'm in the yard to have a careful look at that hive, I'll do a full inspection each time. Over the years I have always find these hives are OK, except for one time, when a hive did go on to get afb. However I still don't know if that was something to do with the dodgy larva I found, or just coincidence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Good Info 1

john berry    2,156

Well the hive is dead. I also did a thorough check on my other site in the area and it was fine. The farm manager assured me there are no other hives in the area so it was either a latent infection that has laid dormant for many years or an infected swarm left over from the previous beekeeper. Of the two options I prefer the first but suspect it's the second. I will be doing some pretty close inspections for the next year. I have seen PMS rope exactly like AFB, it doesn't usually but it can. Chilled and poisoned brood can also rope to some extent but it is generally a muddier colour and are more soupy consistency. There was certainly no doubting what the infection in this hive was and no need for any further tests. I will keep one frame (under permit) for teaching purposes.

• Like 3
  • Good Info 2

john berry    2,156

009.thumb.JPG.98eb4698d69d1dc8f4e9e917b44c7ce3.JPG

007.JPG

012.JPG

018.JPG

Edited by john berry
  • Thanks 5
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

john berry    2,156

I assume there is some way to caption my photographs but I haven't worked it out. It was a very light infection with only a few infected cells. One in the photograph is very obvious but there is another cell with a tiny pinhole. Interestingly this turned out to have an early stage chalk brood mummy although apparently AFB can be masked by chalk brood.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

Alastair    4,323

Well at least you caught it good and early John, nice work.

It's always horrible heart stopping stuff finding afb, but it's a whole lot better than not finding it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Rob Stockley    2,756
24 minutes ago, john berry said:

I assume there is some way to caption my photographs

Pictures are embedded in posts inline. You can put the cursor between photos and type. Too late now but maybe next time.

Bron    1,884

Sorry to see, @john berry, better now than later though.

Daleys enjoying her new tool right now...

Daley    2,771

I tried to send you a message @john berry but your inbox must be full.

Sorry to hear about your AFB.

One of Dads friends was doing some work with a chopper (last year I think) and found some poorly camouflaged hives on the neighbors place that they didn't know were there, so some of these characters are pretty cheeky.

Might be worth getting a drone with a camera to have a bit of a fly round and a look.

Hope it'll be the only one you'll find.

And hopefully the rest of your seasons going ok.

I'm loving my hive tool, it's amazing for scraping queen excluders and I can tell it's going to last me a lifetime 😁

• Like 3

john berry    2,156

Hi Dale. I have changed my email address and although it's supposed to automatically reroute it doesn't always. My new email address is listed in the latest New Zealand beekeeper magazine on the back page under Hawke's Bay. The bees were not happy with the weather today. It was warm enough for them to fly but for whatever reason they just went interested. Really weird grey clouds sort of quilted and folded. I've seen them before but not for a long time

• Like 1