Beefriendly    346
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jamesc said:

No more bees on knees!

Looks like the 'bees knees' to me :13_upside_down:

but what's happening now it's October??

Edited by Beefriendly

yesbut    3,476

Interesting board detail on those pallets, what came on them ?

jamesc    923
40 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Interesting board detail on those pallets, what came on them ?

They were destined for Bees but the Bayvarol did'nt work  so they were surplus to requirements !

BennyBee    37
On 9/30/2017 at 7:22 PM, tristan said:

not sure if pics would help much.

with swarming size and splitting size i could but thats usually easy enough for most people to get an idea of.

tho splitting size varies depending what your trying to achieve, why your splitting etc. theres a lot of reasons behind it. with beginners bigger is better.

if your neighbors hives are a lot stronger than yours then i would be wondering why.  poor queen, wintering problem, mite issues etc.

The commercial hives I saw were in transit from another area with a earlier flow than here so wasn't a fair comparison to what I had but definitely changed how I see hive strength. 

I just thought a visual would help illustrate the strength thing to other newbs that might not have had the opportunity to see strong well managed hives. 

IMG_0537.thumb.JPG.2f0fdff1f3c54e736d2d421cad8e920d.JPG

I wintered this as a single and is now well on its way to a 3rd box full of bees. 

• Like 7

CraBee    390

Looks great although I also see MAJOR SWARMING RISK written on the side of those boxes......

• Agree 5

Philbee    1,568
3 minutes ago, BennyBee said:

The commercial hives I saw were in transit from another area with a earlier flow than here so wasn't a fair comparison to what I had but definitely changed how I see hive strength. 

I just thought a visual would help illustrate the strength thing to other newbs that might not have had the opportunity to see strong well managed hives. 

I wintered this as a single and is now well on its way to a 3rd box full of bees. 

What are those treatments?

CraBee    390
9 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I'm guessing that's the @philbee patented Pams cloth towel method, has Benny not sent you the licence fee :-)

Rob Stockley    2,756
Just now, CraBee said:

I'm guessing that's the @philbee patented Pams cloth towel method, has Benny not sent you the licence fee :-)

No, those are the Signature range knock off of @Philbee Pam's cloth towel method. Some people! Always cutting corners! 

• Haha 3

BennyBee    37
24 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Looks great although I also see MAJOR SWARMING RISK written on the side of those boxes......

Nah one of those boxes has now gone to help the "less fortunate" 

26 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Top secret... :ph34r:

much the same as what you are doing.  Have got it in a few hives and was going to post info (prep, procedure,mite counts ect) in your Randy towel thread once I've done my next wash which is soon. 

• Like 2

tristan    2,935
1 hour ago, BennyBee said:

thats fairly strong but its only a 2 box hive but the catch is putting it into context because other areas won't be like that.

ChrisM    597
28 minutes ago, BennyBee said:

once I've done my next wash

Wot? never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Philbee    1,568
2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Not yet but Im sure he's good for it

Philbee    1,568
1 hour ago, BennyBee said:

Nah one of those boxes has now gone to help the "less fortunate" 

Top secret... :ph34r:

much the same as what you are doing.  Have got it in a few hives and was going to post info (prep, procedure,mite counts ect) in your Randy towel thread once I've done my next wash which is soon. 

They look large? 
Looking forward to your presentaion

Philbee    1,568
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Philbee said:

They look large? 
Looking forward to your presentaion

Im grafting tomorrow pm and have starter finishers that strong that have had OA treatments in since May

Ill wash some of them tomorrow and see how they are.

Its probably too late to treat hives once they get to that size or even half that size, the brood is already cranking and the bees will just eat the treatments in a week.

Edited by Philbee

Kiwifruiter    500

I don't have many hives that are absolutely going for it..... but we are still 8 weeks away from and real main crop.... so not too bothered....   

BennyBee    37
38 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Im grafting tomorrow pm and have starter finishers that strong that have had OA treatments in since May

Ill wash some of them tomorrow and see how they are.

Its probably too late to treat hives once they get to that size or even half that size, the brood is already cranking and the bees will just eat the treatments in a week.

Without giving you only half the info.  That hive got treated with 4 per box on the 12th and the 3rd box went on at the same time that's why there is some of those strips left in the top box and the other 8 are gone. Tommorow is 3 week wash.  All hives were 0 or one on the 12th.  By the end of the week I'll know how they are going

• Thanks 1

Jaspur M    44
10 hours ago, BennyBee said:

How do you run a strong hive like that without it swarming? 

Jaspur M    44
7 hours ago, Kiwifruiter said:

I don't have many hives that are absolutely going for it..... but we are still 8 weeks away from and real main crop.... so not too bothered....   

Whats your main flow in your area @Kiwifruiter

Daley    2,771
58 minutes ago, Jaspur M said:

How do you run a strong hive like that without it swarming? 

Squash the queen

• Like 3

Kiwifruiter    500
3 minutes ago, Daley said:

Squash the queen

That is the most effective swarm advice I have seen in a long time..... 

• Haha 2

Daley    2,771
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Kiwifruiter said:

That is the most effective swarm advice I have seen in a long time..... 

I'd rather squash the queen then lose half the hive.

So sometimes I do squash them if they're determined to swarm, I don't have time for that sort of bad beehaviour.

I just chuck a queen cell in them, pretty much a sure thing in a big hive like that that she'll mate and it will carry on going like stink, once they get big like that the queen does very little anyway because there's no space for her to lay.

Edited by Daley
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Kiwifruiter    500
2 minutes ago, Daley said:

I'd rather squash the queen then lose half the hive.

So sometimes I do squash them if they're determined to swarm, I don't have time for that sort of bad beehaviour

So you wouldnt lift the queen with a few frames of brood into a top split just in case?

Daley    2,771
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Kiwifruiter said:

So you wouldnt lift the queen with a few frames of brood into a top split just in case?

Not if I'd had to cut cells in it more than once.

I'm quite ruthless in my genetic selection.

Edited by Daley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1