Jump to content
NZ Beekeepers +
MissEmmz

What are bees foraging on 2017/18 season

Recommended Posts

MissEmmz    25

Already blossom trees in flower as well as the wattles, and rhododendrons.... back yard a balmy 21 degrees at 3 30 pm today..... roll on the season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
Already blossom trees in flower as well as the wattles, and rhododendrons.... back yard a balmy 21 degrees at 3 30 pm today..... roll on the season!

While you are enjoying your A side warm westerly on the east coast spare a thought for us getting the B side on the west coast .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HSV_Darren    236

Five Finger flowering in Lower Hutt ATM

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yesbut    3,477
Five Finger flowering in Lower Hutt ATM

That's pretty amazing, nothing ever flowers in any ATM around here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tudor    1,318

Tree lucerne, tree fuchsia, pussy willow, forget-me-nots, hebe's and lots of other stuff I don't know about ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Philbee    1,569

Sugar Syrup right now

I found a very strong two box hive last week that was empty of stores

It attacked the syrup bucket like a hive possessed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jas    252

The willows are getting greener by the day so it wont be long before the bees can have a feed , weather depending . Was down on the river flats today and saw plenty of flower buds on the Karaka . My hives got hit hard with Karaka poisoning on two sites , so I'm temped to pull them out while the Karaka is flowering .  

 Plenty of what looks like gorse pollen coming in .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mischief    26

Rosemary, thanks to our council planting heaps of them in the town centre, with only a few on my shrubs.

Heaps on the brassicas I sow every year for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
2 hours ago, mischief said:

Rosemary, thanks to our council planting heaps of them in the town centre, with only a few on my shrubs.

Heaps on the brassicas I sow every year for them.

 

Do you sow mustard ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mischief    26

Usually, but this year its mostly turnips and black radish.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
3 hours ago, mischief said:

Usually, but this year its mostly turnips and black radish.

Do you feed the roots to stock ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mischief    26

Nope, I dont have stock and realised that I do not like eating these myself.

I discovered that if I sow them in late summer/autumn, they go straight to seed/flower in winter/ early spring, just in time for hungry honey and bumble bees to be out and about.

Not too sure why I dont have much mustard flowering this year.

Must have sown it in areas that I then went and mulched with woodchip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
33 minutes ago, mischief said:

Nope, I dont have stock and realised that I do not like eating these myself.

I discovered that if I sow them in late summer/autumn, they go straight to seed/flower in winter/ early spring, just in time for hungry honey and bumble bees to be out and about.

Not too sure why I dont have much mustard flowering this year.

Must have sown it in areas that I then went and mulched with woodchip.

I have to be careful when I show bee Brasica to avoid them being a host for grey aphid and diamond back moth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mischief    26

I have Fantails to deal with alot of bugs.

I dont worry too much about pesky insects. to me that just means there is an imbalance and lack of predator types.

I have been trying to include beneficial insect plants and leave weeds alone if they arent in the wrong spot.

Grass I pull out on sight if its anywhere outside of the lawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
15 minutes ago, mischief said:

I have Fantails to deal with alot of bugs.

I dont worry too much about pesky insects. to me that just means there is an imbalance and lack of predator types.

I have been trying to include beneficial insect plants and leave weeds alone if they arent in the wrong spot.

Grass I pull out on sight if its anywhere outside of the lawn.

do you ever have frosts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jaspur M    46

Does any one know much about this plant here? Bees absolutely love it

20170912_065157.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yesbut    3,477

Could be Indian Hawthorn. Although ours isn't flowering yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jaspur M    46

Iv been told its viburnum, not sure if it produces nectar or pollen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Could be Indian Hawthorn. Although ours isn't flowering yet.

I tried to buy one a month ago. I had one years ago and I lost it.

But none of the garden centres had heard of it.

I think 20 years ago there was a wider variety of obscure plants .

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mummzie    100
1 hour ago, Jaspur M said:

Iv been told its viburnum, not sure if it produces nectar or pollen

I agree that its Viburnum. I've just planted one in our "street beautification" project, along with 2 Hebes and a Grevillia.

 

Google isn't helping much with the pollen or nectar answer, so perhaps a good look at the bees foraging and see if they have full pannier bags....I'm curious too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867
7 hours ago, Mummzie said:

I agree that its Viburnum. I've just planted one in our "street beautification" project, along with 2 Hebes and a Grevillia.

 

Google isn't helping much with the pollen or nectar answer, so perhaps a good look at the bees foraging and see if they have full pannier bags....I'm curious too.

Which Viburnum is it .

I should plant some , I have read they like clay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sailabee    114
8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I tried to buy one a month ago. I had one years ago and I lost it.

But none of the garden centres had heard of it.

I think 20 years ago there was a wider variety of obscure plants .

Same problem with plants as so many things - corporatisation. There are 5 big nurseries that have gobbled up the small plant growers, and they are only suppling a minimum of shrubs and tree varieties, while pushing the 'potted colour' thing - providing ongoing sales. At present there are more members in garden clubs than in living memory to get a wider range of plants.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaihoka    867

does anyone know what's affecting this rata tree.

I had a big tree defoliate last summer. It seems to have come back with leaf now.

can find nothing with google .

WP_20170913_13_30_23_Pro.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tudor    1,318

Would that be myrtle rust ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
john berry    2,169

Looks like some sort of scale insect.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×