NZ Beekeepers +
Rob Stockley

New Zealand swarm dates for season 2017/18

Rob Stockley    2,763
Posted (edited)

Got a call this week. Soccer ball sized swarm hanging off a palm tree. I thought, really:) it couldn't be :what: it wasn't :rolleyes:

The caller was almost right. It was a soccer ball sized cluster of honey bees. But it wasn't a swarm. There must have been an apiary nearby. The temperature was up and a palm flower was bursting with pollen. It was black with bees. Quite a sight. You meet some lovely people through the swarm list.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

Alastair    4,329
Posted (edited)

My bees have been knocked back somewhat by the crap weather Auckland has had for the last few weeks I'm picking things will be a tad later than normal.

Always check the weather every night and despite the floods in other parts, prior to that, day after day I would see the rest of the country drenched in sunshine while Auckland always had a black cloud and rain. My guess is bees in other parts will be less impaired than Auckland, long as they didn't go under water.

However the 3 hives in my back yard were overjoyed to be able to get out of the hive yesterday and really making the most of the opportunity, there was a definate vibe that they want to make up for lost time, so who knows.

Edited by Guest

Jaspur M    46

Any swarms been caught yet? My bees are really starting to pick up the pace

Rob Stockley    2,763

I was told yesterday of two already in Hawkes Bay

• Like 1

Jaspur M    46

One in tauranga today acording to swarm facebook page. Its starting 😊

Edited by Jaspur M
  • Agree 1

Neville    17

I anyone has a spare swam in Auckland or the Waikato, I have a hexagonal top bar looking for tenants.

Heli Bee    7
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:24 PM, Rob Stockley said:

I was told yesterday of two already in Hawkes Bay

Caught a large swarm in Hastings this morning .  

• Thanks 1

Heli Bee    7
8 hours ago, Jaspur M said:

Awesome did you take any pics worth sharing @Heli Bee

No sorry . I probably should have because it was in the middle of a blackberry bush . bit of a mission but we got them all.

MikeO    9

Caught my first ever swarm in Christchurch today. Hope the stay where I put them....

52867717226__67861017-C4CB-4873-AB1C-509F2A84AD72.JPG

• Like 9

Beefriendly    347

Keep us updated @MikeO

swarms are cool, unless it's your hive that's swarmed 

:29_smirk:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

CraBee    391

I've had five hives swarm starting from about ten days ago - each hive on a different site and in a range of environments  (rural - urban) and at most about 60km apart.  I've found capped and uncapped cells when checking, but no Virgin emergence, so no secondary swarms.  It is impossible to be everywhere at once when the switch is turned on, and given cell age etc it looks like they all started swarm cells within two or three days of each other.

Two of them I had split two or three weeks ago leaving one box with the Queen and foragers and perhaps they just got too strong again, one of them was a three box hive that I'd turned up to but realised I'd left my smoker behind at the last site, and they wouldn't let me in to check, and when I got back three or four days later they'd gone.  Another one I had decided not to split, it was only around seven or eight frames, with comb available to lay in - by the time I got back to check they'd  gone.  And another two boxer seemed to have swarmed on one uncapped cell at the bottom of a frame.

Given that I had a zero swarm target this season I should be disappointed, but I'm not really, as I've done a massive number of splits in the last three or four weeks which are (mainly) going well and some of my sites are real honking it at the moment, and here's hoping these swarms end up being someone's new hive.

• Like 3

kevin moore    470
On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, Jaspur M said:

Any swarms been caught yet? My bees are really starting to pick up the pace

yer got my first on Wednesday 4/10/17 last week, a bout the size of half a 10 litre bucket, it was a real sod a split swarm one half caught ok the other took off and came back latter as things got colder, no queen with this half,

got two other calls but these were hives with bees just enjoying getting out of the hive.

Daley    2,779

I lost a swarm last week.

The home hive got really close to swarming, just managed to get to it in time before it went.

Most of my hives aren't making cells yet but I have seen at least 10 with cells so they're starting up, I'd imagine next week anything I haven't slapped down will be full of cells.

Trevor Gillbanks    4,562

I got 2 swarms today. 1 nice NUC 5 framer and the other a large 10 framer (4.5kg of bees)

20171009_154613.jpg

20171009_154955.jpg

20171009_155005.jpg

20171009_160318.jpg

20171009_160347.jpg

• Like 8

Nedeljko    28

Have you noticed that Italian bees tend to swarm earlier (given the same time from making a swarm cell) than Carnica or Carniolan? Than of course, it comes to the genes of the queen. What I was advised is that once you collect the swarm you apply a varroa treatment straight away and if early in the season you change the queen with desired habits. 
What are the thoughts of more experienced BKs?

Edited by Nedeljko
Typos

I always treat swarms with Bayvarol for 48 hours.  Once the swarm has become established I then requeen the colony

Nedeljko    28
1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I always treat swarms with Bayvarol for 48 hours.  Once the swarm has become established I then requeen the colony

I guess Bayvarol is the fast acting drug. Is 48 h enough for varroa to fall off, though? I know that new swarm has no brood yet. Would it be harmful to leave the treatment in until first cells are capped? Thanks, Trev.

• Like 1

That is possible.  I have only ever done the 48 hours. I have found it enough

• Thanks 1

ChrisM    597

I've been waiting 3 days for them to get things started and then I've used an OA treatment (3 minutes with passive vapouriser) at the end of the day when everyone is home. So far only one swarm this season, but they did not seem to mind at all.

• Like 1

I caught another one today.  This will go back to the young beekeeper (15 years old)

Only a fairly small swarm 1.2 kg (10 000 plus bees)

20171012_181416.jpg

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Beefriendly    347

“Sure enough there were a pile of damp bees in the grass by a post, I picked up some bees and put them into a nuc box and put a cardboard ramp from bees to box and it wasn't long and the bees started walking into the box queen and all” @overworker

It is so cool to hear stories and see pictures of swarms doing this!

Edited by Beefriendly
  • Agree 1

cBank    39

Is that the queen marching up in that last photo?

• Like 1