NZ Beekeepers +
Scutellator

Breeder queens

Scutellator    19

Hi there, new to the forum. I have a question - does anybody knows where to find breeder queens with pedigree in NZ?

Thanks

Donnie

beefree    263
Posted (edited)

Bettabees Italian artificially inseminated breeder queens would be the first obvious choice as they have collected stock from around NZ and work through at least a basic scientific method to achieve desired traits, however the jury is out on whether they are actually great queens or not. But I warn you, if you have a heart condition I don't suggest to look at the price of them.

It makes me very jealous when I see how cheap AI breeders are in Europe and the great selection of them, I think you may be disappointed here with the commercial diversity of breeder queen strains.

Edited by Guest

tristan    2,935

Products

a few options if your into Carniolan

Scutellator    19

Thanks for the replies. Bettabees is out of my list. Closed randon mass selection program = no pedigree. Had limited experience with them this season. My personal opinion - I think they had introduced new genetics the tricky way.

Need something with calculatable inbreeding and kinship coefficients. Life is much more easier.

Colour is of no importance. In fact, I have an eclectic taste.

Yep, many AI (or Island maded) queens in Europe on the market, but the best won't be found in the yellow pages. Just because the beeks are the same all over the world ;)

Kiwifruiter    500

Pick a queen that you like/has things you like and breed from it....

• Like 1

Jose Thayil    455

Products

Carniolan breeder queens and new hybrid being introduced this coming season.

tom sayn    1,104

i can't see any sense in importing an nz breederqueen to greece or anywhere into eu.

but if you have a good reason, maybe try arataki. they are experienced in exporting queens and i would think that's impotant in that respect

tom sayn    1,104
find breeder queens with pedigree in NZ?

you might be out of luck there, mate.

Scutellator    19
Pick a queen that you like/has things you like and breed from it....

In one of my expeditions many years ago, I climbed the highest peak on the highest mountain on an undiscovered yet Island in the Atlantic ocean. And there, in the middle of nowhere -there he was - an old beekeeper, who happened to be a friend with br. Adam. In his apiary I found one such queen and I am still grafting from her. Unfortunately, they won't let me import her in NZ

• Like 1

Rob Stockley    2,756

Hi @Scutellator are you planning a move to New Zealand? The bee population here has been closed to imports for many years. We don't have European Foulbrood, tracheal mites or small hive beetle. Treatment with antibiotics is banned and this adds to the value of our honey exports.

kaihoka    864
Hi @Scutellator are you planning a move to New Zealand? The bee population here has been closed to imports for many years. We don't have European Foulbrood, tracheal mites or small hive beetle. Treatment with antibiotics is banned and this adds to the value of our honey exports.

Do you think it would be a good thing to import , with bio security controls, some new genetics into the NZ bee population.

I read about buckfast bees and they sounded pretty good.

Have they ever been brought to NZ ?

Rob Stockley    2,756
Do you think it would be a good thing to import , with bio security controls, some new genetics into the NZ bee population.

No. I think the risks outweigh the returns. Apart from varroa tolerance (do we really want Africanised Bees?), what's wrong with our current honey bee stock?

I don't know the answer. All sorts would have been brought out during New Zealand's colonial period. So perhaps the Buckfast genetics are already here.

Daley    2,771

No.

And the idea of anyone importing bees freaks me out lol

• Like 1

Kiwifruiter    500

The last time genetics were imported deformed wing virus came in at the same time...

Ted    94
The last time genetics were imported deformed wing virus came in at the same time...

A very well known breeder experienced in importing genetics told me a couple of years ago that MPI had approached him to say they would support him in any endeavours to import some new lines. Because of the personal attacks/backlash he suffered the first time he imported genetics he decided he didn't want to go through that again. Interestingly - one of the most vocal beekeepers against the imports is now using those genetics almost exclusively for his queen and package bee export business.

• Like 2

Kiwifruiter    500
A very well known breeder experienced in importing genetics told me a couple of years ago that MPI had approached him to say they would support him in any endeavours to import some new lines. Because of the personal attacks/backlash he suffered the first time he imported genetics he decided he didn't want to go through that again. Interestingly - one of the most vocal beekeepers against the imports is now using those genetics almost exclusively for his queen and package bee export business.

For me it isn't about genetics it's about disease risk....

kaihoka    864

I suppose because they fly you would have to quarantine imports on the Chathams or Raoul island

tristan    2,935

you can forget imports here.

from what was learnt from the carni imports is that there is diseases that can be transmitted by seamen alone.

there is a risk of importing some unknown virus.

tristan    2,935

i suspect they have been imported in the early days. even carnis etc where brought in and all sorts smuggled in or arrived as wild hives. quite amazing we didn't end up with more diseases.

but beeks bred mainly Italian and wild pop was heavily black bee based.

Shaun    1,464
Posted (edited)
you can forget imports here.

from what was learnt from the carni imports is that there is diseases that can be transmitted by seamen alone.

there is a risk of importing some unknown virus.

Semen or seamen?

From what I've come to understand the viruses were only NOTICED once varroa acted as a vector and amplified the affects.

Edited by Guest

frazzledfozzle    4,660
Posted (edited)

From what I've come to understand the viruses were only NOTICED once varroa acted as a vector and amplified the affects.

Varroa was discovered in NZ in 2000, carniolan imports were given the OK in 2004, deformed wing virus was first discovered in NZ in Northland in 2007.

My bet is with the virus being in the carny semen

Edited by Guest

kaihoka    864
Varroa was discovered in NZ in 2000, carniolan imports were given the OK in 2004, deformed wing virus was first discovered in NZ in Northland in 2007.

My bet is with the virus being in the carny semen

Is that why you do not like carnys , or is that just one of the things on a large list :lol

Jose Thayil    455

We have most known bee viruses already here in nz.

We in nz so worried trying to stop all the bad things such as diseases and pests getting into nz, but some how we end up every nasty stuff in the world but still not allowed to bring the cures such as VSH bees etc.

May be we need to look at ways to get our bee stock improved without getting any pests or diseases with it. With the technology we have now a days we should be able to import needed genetics for our bees.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ted    94

We in nz so worried trying to stop all the bad things such as diseases and pests getting into nz, but some how we end up every nasty stuff in the world but still not allowed to bring the cures such as VSH bees etc.

May be we need to look at ways to get our bee stock improved without getting any pests or diseases with it. With the technology we have now a days we should be able to import needed genetics for our bees.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was told that MPI were trying to encourage a well known breeder to attempt some more semen imports. That was 2 or 3 years ago so don't know if they are still agreeable. The breeder declined due to the flack he copped from his first imports. He didn't want to face that again so the opportunity for improved genetics was lost.

Daley    2,771

I think we should be very concerned with not letting in any more pests and diseases.

It seems very short sighted to allow any import of anything bee related in to NZ.

There is a reason we are unique and can demand a good price for our honey and it would be silly to stuff that up by adding more stressors to an already pushed environment.

Just for the sake of a few new genetics.

Insects don't inbreed like mammals do.