NZ Beekeepers +
Charles

Availability of the yellow book

Charles    310

As an aside I spent 2 hours speaking with @Mark Goodwin today on a number of subjects. It looks like with new DNA testing that elimination could become a whole lot more practical. I would urge beekeepers to get behind the qPCR testing when it becomes available.

ChrisM    566
Try the internet. Download as a PDF file.

So far as I know there is no new release of this book and there is no PDF download available either. I've lamented the lack of both on this forum previously. I said that I think it reflects badly on the NBA [and what they have now become], but that would be repeating myself.

Trevor Gillbanks    4,478
I said that I think it reflects badly on the NBA [and what they have now become], but that would be repeating myself.

I don't see how you can point your finger at the NBA or ApiNZ for the publication/update or e-release of a book that they do not have Copyrights of.

ChrisM    566
I don't see how you can point your finger at the NBA or ApiNZ for the publication/update or e-release of a book that they do not have Copyrights of.

I think AFB and PMP is underpinned by the NBA and the AFBPMP is a deal between the NBA and the Government to allow 'us' to govern ourselves. (i.e. not to throw us under the bus a.k.a. MPI). The one thing that is central to obtaining one's DECA and the key thing to explain and understand AFB and the AFBPMP is the yellow book.

So, in my view the yellow book should rate a priority for being keep up to date, being kept relevant and being made freely available. That all costs money and requires leadership. But who else would be the body to lead this kind of thing? Who would you point your finger at in those regards?

Trevor Gillbanks    4,478

I hear you Chris. The whole PMP system is busted and certainly needs fixing.

A free copy of the Yellow book would help.

HSV_Darren    228

I've just finninshed reading my copy of the yellow book in preparation for my AFB course next week, it great how it repeats important points and information through out the contents to help you remember certain things, one thing I noticed when trying to remember the photos shown was one photo was called "early stage sacbrood infected larve" and the AFB web site had the exact same photo saying "coffee coloured larve" , its not the kind of thing you want to see when your nervous about taking the test knowing that you must get 100% of the photos correct.

CraBee    330
I've just finninshed reading my copy of the yellow book in preparation for my AFB course next week, it great how it repeats important points and information through out the contents to help you remember certain things, one thing I noticed when trying to remember the photos shown was one photo was called "early stage sacbrood infected larve" and the AFB web site had the exact same photo saying "coffee coloured larve" , its not the kind of thing you want to see when your nervous about taking the test knowing that you must get 100% of the photos correct.

Ask at the course but as I remember it they admit that is confusing and that the answer is Sacbrood.

HSV_Darren    228

Sat the test on Saturday, it was quite easy! I don't get the results until a weeks time but am quietly confident, the course was so much more than just AFB recognition when you have Frank Lindsay as the supervisor, I picked up so many tips and new info on beekeeping in general, it was great!

Thinking about it now, I think every beekeeper should have to do the test at some stage, it just makes sense...

• Like 3

Kiwifruiter    473

Thinking about it now, I think every beekeeper should have to do the test at some stage, it just makes sense...

Look at what DECA is... A Disease Elimination Conformity Agreement. Between beek and the agency. It is ABSOLUTELY INSANE that you can keep bees long term without one and it should be regarded as a basic part of beekeeping. It isn't overly complicated and it should be viewed as a compulsory activity. IMHO it SHOULD be compulsory.