NZ Beekeepers +
Sarah Cross

Bees needed for research trial

Sarah Cross    12

Hello fellow beekeepers, my name is Sarah Cross, I am Dr Mark Goodwins Reserach Associate at Plant and Food Research Ltd. We are conducting a trial on the possibility of resistant varroa here in NZ. We are requesting a sample of 300 bees from a hive that has NOT been treated for varroa yet this season. If you are interested in helping us please email me at sarah.cross@plantandfood.co.nz with your name, postal address, and the general area of the hive you would like to take the bees from, and i will send you out a container and return courier bag. Thank you very much for your help.

• Like 1

Sarah Cross    12
When you say this season, how far back are you referring too IE no treatment since Spring 2016 or further back?

Correct. Now is usually the time honey is taken off and Autumn strips put in, I would like bees from hives BEFORE this Autumn treatment happens.

How many hives are u wanting and are u to collect samples?

We would like one sample per beekeeper. Thats 300 bees from one hive. I can send you the container and a return courier bag for you to collect and send back

• Like 1

Daley    2,435
Hello fellow beekeepers, my name is Sarah Cross, I am Dr Mark Goodwins Reserach Associate at Plant and Food Research Ltd. We are conducting a trial on the possibility of resistant varroa here in NZ. We are requesting a sample of 300 bees from a hive that has NOT been treated for varroa yet this season. If you are interested in helping us please email me at sarah.cross@plantandfood.co.nz with your name, postal address, and the general area of the hive you would like to take the bees from, and i will send you out a container and return courier bag. Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Sarah, this is very interesting and cool, is this a one off sample and would you give us our results

tristan    2,834
We are conducting a trial on the possibility of resistant varroa here in NZ.

resistant to what ?

• Like 1

Daley    2,435
resistant to what ?

Always with the good questions Tristan.

Kiwifruiter    465

I assume it is similar to the PSA resistance testing program which is testing for resistance against the most common compounds used for control (in the case of PSA copper and streptomycin). I would guess the main target is bayverol resistance.

tristan    2,834
I would guess the main target is bayverol resistance.

apistan/bayvarol was tested by mark years ago.

only one of interest would be apivar (Amitraz).

if thats what they are testing would it not be better to send a jar of mites?

Kiwifruiter    465
apistan/bayvarol was tested by mark years ago.

only one of interest would be apivar (Amitraz).

if thats what they are testing would it not be better to send a jar of mites?

So there isn't any point in tracking its spread across the country?

tony    1,833

Would it not be Varroa resistance but then is it viruses? which ones? i assume varroa as they don't want to have them treated. I would then be curious why they don't go back to no spring treatment either.

Kiwifruiter    465
Would it not be Varroa resistance but then is it viruses? which ones? i assume varroa as they don't want to have them treated. I would then be curious why they don't go back to no spring treatment either.

It doesn't matter as long as they know what was used last and when....

tony    1,833

If it was a chemical would they not want to know what was used last or is it that they assume they havent been exposed to any chemicals for a period of time

Kiwifruiter    465
If it was a chemical would they not want to know what was used last or is it that they assume they havent been exposed to any chemicals for a period of time

Since spring.

tony    1,833
It doesn't matter as long as they know what was used last and when....

Kinda does to me, resistance to varroa to me would be if they haven't been treated since at least winter last year a five six month break without treatment i would not call resistance but 8 to 12 months beyond well then you really got something to work with. But i'm only surmising i'm no scientist and don't know all the info. but if they wanted hives not treated for that long some advance notice could be given I would not treat selected hives now and get them though winter they can have samples of the survivors. I've done it before for myself out of 40 hives no autumn treatment and last spring treatment was thymol I had 6 survive and of those six four were good strong hives they went though to my drone yard for drone production, to me thats what i'd be looking at, but again some more detail about research be good.

Kiwifruiter    465
Kinda does to me, resistance to varroa to me would be if they haven't been treated since at least winter last year a five six month break without treatment i would not call resistance but 8 to 12 months beyond well then you really got something to work with. But i'm only surmising i'm no scientist and don't know all the info. but if they wanted hives not treated for that long some advance notice could be given I would not treat selected hives now and get them though winter they can have samples of the survivors. I've done it before for myself out of 40 hives no autumn treatment and last spring treatment was thymol I had 6 survive and of those six four were good strong hives they went though to my drone yard for drone production, to me thats what i'd be looking at, but again some more detail about research be good.

It's not looking at the bees it's looking at the varroa. The idea is they take samples of bees and check the varroa on them for resistance.

• Like 1

tony    1,833

Oh ok roger that i get it now, Ignore my last posts :mask::notworthy::oops:,

tristan    2,834

sorry i forgot. thought sarah might post but as she hasn't here is her reply about what they are testing

"We are sending the varroa away to a lab to test if they have genetic markers that could show they are resistant to synthetic pyrethroids."

unfortunately i've already treated, bit of a shame as we had some DWV in some hives on one site. they would have been good varroa to test.

• Like 1

Daley    2,435
sorry i forgot. thought sarah might post but as she hasn't here is her reply about what they are testing

"We are sending the varroa away to a lab to test if they have genetic markers that could show they are resistant to synthetic pyrethroids."

unfortunately i've already treated, bit of a shame as we had some DWV in some hives on one site. they would have been good varroa to test.

Yes I was hoping she might too :)@Sarah Cross are you there?

I still have some hives I have not treated for varroa and would be happy to send a sample if you would let me know, do I get my results?

JohnF    330

Not sure why they need to be treatment free - if indeed resistant. Send the varroa to us @tristan if you can sugar shake them off and chuck in a small tube of water - we have developed some prototype tests for those resistant markers. Just checking a new assay currently

• Like 3

Sarah Cross    12
Hi Sarah, this is very interesting and cool, is this a one off sample and would you give us our results

yes i would like only one sample from each beekeeper from one hive. Results would be given in a report so possibly not for each specific person but just the overall findings