NZ Beekeepers +
CraBee

Extraction let down

CraBee    330

I've just had a pretty poor experience with an extraction plant I have used for the first time for some of my harvest.

When investigating using them they confirmed for me that multi-floral could be extracted separately from kanuka.

This was then confirmed on the paperwork completed at the plant.

And in a further email from me to them before extraction started - it is a significant issue with kanuka worth double what the multi-floral is - so I was being careful.

So this morning I get the quantity back for the multi-floral and I ask about the kanuka quantity. "It's all together" I'm told.

I start mindfullness.

nikki watts    121
I've just had a pretty poor experience with an extraction plant I have used for the first time for some of my harvest.

When investigating using them they confirmed for me that multi-floral could be extracted separately from kanuka.

And in a further email from me to them before extraction started - it is a significant issue with kanuka worth double what the multi-floral is - so I was being careful.

So this morning I get the quantity back for the multi-floral and I ask about the kanuka quantity. "It's all together" I'm told.

I start mindfullness.

that's terrible !! In a hard season down grading your crop is about the last thing you need.

frazzledfozzle    4,571

How did the before extraction quantities compare?

Could there be enough kanuka in the mix for it to still sell as kanuka?

• Like 1

Kiwifruiter    473

I would have thought it would be easy enough to work out fairly accurate quantities and for them to pay you the difference.....

Alastair    4,146

Sorry to hear about that, and I do know who you used.

Unfortunately that sort of thing is par for the course with some extraction plants dealing with smaller lots, and you are certainly not the omly person this has happened to. I think the only way to know you are protected against this is take the matter out of their hands. If it can be done, drop in only one type of honey. After it is extracted, drop in another.

A lot of drama yes, but otherwise what has happened to you will likely happen again.

Kiwifruiter    473

If you have proof of what you asked for,You should be able to push the issue....

Pinnacle    331

Frankly that sucks mate.

I know how hard it is to work with contract extraction, never seems that smooth. I agree with Alastair, only drop in one lot at a time if you can.

CraBee    330

Thanks all for your feedback, to answer a couple of the questions/comments: the kanuka crop was about 1/3 of the total, and yes, in future I won't take the risk, I'll get it in separately to wherever it goes to.

We've been talking and while they were a bit unwilling to take any responsibility at the start most recently it looks they want to make it right, so hopefully we can reach a resolution.

• Like 4

Gabor    141

We've been talking and while they were a bit unwilling to take any responsibility at the start most recently it looks they want to make it right, so hopefully we can reach a resolution.

that's a good sign isn't it?

frazzledfozzle    4,571

Excellent news @CraBee us little guys work too hard to have it stuffed up by someone who couldnt care less

kaihoka    785

the migrant beek who has hives on my place had it happen to him too.

everything was blended.

he changed the place he got his stuff extracted.

i have heard lots of complaints about extraction places.

it must be a very tricky thing to do right and please your customer

tristan    2,892

the big question is how much extra did you pay for them to separate it ?

tony    1,852

As a contract extractor its a bit disappointing to hear that, Not that we are perfect we have had the odd stuff up up nothing worse than doing someone else's honey and a hose blows and a bucket spills on the floor or you get jam ups breaking frames etc.. We run two vats now so we can keep line going and separate batches, because we are owner operators we understand the necessity to keep them separate. However in our system we need nearly 20 full boxs just to get it though the system. We generally turn down small amounts but we do do the odd batch like today we put though 8 boxs for someone at least they where full but it is a pain we had to weigh all boxs extract then weigh boxs again so we knew how much honey we needed to put into buckets for him as the next beek honey was chasing it down the line, otherwise it may not have even come out the pipe at the other end. On a side note does bring up the point of if your getting honey extracted to check or talk about insurance policies and who is responsible for what, quite important that this is clear if you cant afford to have a stuff up.

• Like 1

Philbee    1,445

I start mindfullness.

To be blunt, my first thought would be that the Kanuka had been substituted.

However, if the boss isnt in the loop with those doing the work this can happen.

I have seen a very similar thing happen before.

The contractor just shrugged their shoulders.

Im freighting my crop this year and I dont care what it costs.

The value of a good operator is hard to overstate.

frazzledfozzle    4,571

Yes i wouldnt rule that out either @Philbee.

I hope you get a pollen analysis done on it @CraBee

Pinnacle    331

However, if the boss isnt in the loop with those doing the work this can happen.

I have seen a very similar thing happen before.

The contractor just shrugged their shoulders.

Im freighting my crop this year and I dont care what it costs.

The value of a good operator is hard to overstate.

I freight my crop too, for the same reasons. If you find a good extractor, stick with them IMO

Moggie    1

get a transparent extraction plant that can trace your honey with tags and give you the quantities from each site.

WIN_20141219_112525.JPG.79df5ff12ea2caebe170a691e16645e8.JPG

WIN_20141219_112525.JPG.79df5ff12ea2caebe170a691e16645e8.JPG

Daley    2,521

I start mindfullness.

Very disappointing.

I sympathise with you, that's pretty gutting.

I'd hate to think it was done intentionally.

Batching honey especially in small batches with commercial equipment is pretty hard work, you definitely have to spend a lot longer trying to get it through.

But if they knew that was what you wanted when they took the job on it should have been what you had agreed upon.

I don't think you should have to pay for it, but I don't think you'll be compensated.

john berry    2,114

I would check with your extractor. Sometimes mistakes to get made but these can be on both sides. It may well have been kanuka and I don't know how experienced you are but I have seen hundreds of cases over the years where people thought honey was one thing when it was quite obviously something else. In the old days people would try and tell you it was clover when it was 90% manuka and these days they will tell you it's manuka just because there was one bush within 100 miles of the hives..

tristan    2,892

Batching honey especially in small batches with commercial equipment is pretty hard work, you definitely have to spend a lot longer trying to get it through.

just expanding on what daley has mentioned, the extra time taken reflects the cost.

the more automated the system the more its impacted. for eg going from loading by deboxer to having to load frame by frame and inspect and sort each one as you go slows the processing down considerably.

if its turns a 300 box per day plant into 100 box per day plant then i would expect the price to reflect the loss of income. ie increase extraction price by 3x.

also if it ends in less than minimum run size which reduces plant through put, then price will be increased to compensate.

this is why sorting by the extraction plant is rarely done.

more common is the double run for manuka, even then thats often double the price.

so unless he was paying some big dollars for them to sort it, i will guess that they probably never done it before and once realized how much work and cost is involved they gave up and just ran it all through as one.

to give you some idea on work involved, the last time i was told to sort our honey the boss got told rather rudely where to shove it. it ended up taking 6 staff all morning to sort the honey. that was a long time ago now.

its got to be 10 years since i've seen a manuka double run done.

Kiwifruiter    473
just expanding on what daley has mentioned, the extra time taken reflects the cost.

the more automated the system the more its impacted. for eg going from loading by deboxer to having to load frame by frame and inspect and sort each one as you go slows the processing down considerably.

if its turns a 300 box per day plant into 100 box per day plant then i would expect the price to reflect the loss of income. ie increase extraction price by 3x.

also if it ends in less than minimum run size which reduces plant through put, then price will be increased to compensate.

this is why sorting by the extraction plant is rarely done.

more common is the double run for manuka, even then thats often double the price.

so unless he was paying some big dollars for them to sort it, i will guess that they probably never done it before and once realized how much work and cost is involved they gave up and just ran it all through as one.

to give you some idea on work involved, the last time i was told to sort our honey the boss got told rather rudely where to shove it. it ended up taking 6 staff all morning to sort the honey. that was a long time ago now.

its got to be 10 years since i've seen a manuka double run done.

My interpretation from the OP that the two honeys were already sorted and stacked separately....

CraBee    330

Yes, the honey was sorted, the bees did it. I had some sites that targeted kanuka and that is all they bought in. The boxes were all marked with a big "K"- and separate processing was really the only request / condition I had of the extraction plant. I have my request to them in an email and they confirmed replying that they would be done separately.

I don't believe any dodgy has gone on, they are just dis-organised, poor communication at their end. I'm most of the way to having sorted it out with them and that will involve them compensating me for my loss as a result of their mistake. Hopefully alls well that ends well.

• Like 5

tristan    2,892

apologizes, i read it as they where doing the sorting.

yes getting batches mixed up is a bit of a stuff up.