NZ Beekeepers +
ikwezinz

Oxalic and glycerine

olbe    2

glycerine available at your local farm supply store - used as teat salve in dairy.

ikwezinz    82
What day did you start to see bits of the towel out front?

I put MAQS in 3 hives and it is now day 7 with no sign of any debris thrown out. Mind you, I didn't check this arvo as it's hosing down :(

Day 1 had some removed already, I've never had them remove MAQ's, I take them out after a few weeks normally and they haven't really ever been touched

glynn    1,129
glycerine available at your local farm supply store - used as teat salve in dairy.

That could be vegetable or animal glycerine

Philbee    1,445
That could be vegetable or animal glycerine

Do you have a preference?

Is it advisable not to use Mineral glycerine?

My supplier of Fa and OA can supply Mineral Glycerine.

A lot of people will automatically run with the vege Glycerine but is there a sound reason to not use the Mineral based product?

karuhi    155

Just picked this thread up - very interesting.

Have a few questions i hope someone can help with

does anyone put a layer of plastic or something under the roof to stop in corroding? or will the hive mat be enough?

Is it temperature affected? its about 28c here and around very high humidity - how will that affect treatment?

shop towel - is it paper? i have a roll of 'shop towel' i use in the workshop and its a sort of lightweight chux type woven cloth - would this work? would it slow down the bee removal?

Anyone with an idea or opinion on any of that?

Typically - i didn't read all the article before asking the above questions :whistle:. Some are now answered!!

One question i do have though that i cant see is ..... okay you soak the roll,squeeze it out - how are people storing it before going out to apiaries?

Ii don't know if i've worded it right.

If you have a roll of treated wipes are they just tasking the whole roll out wrapped in i suppose plastic and then tearing one off on site? or do you after treating the roll. peel them off and putting them into something?

Is there a small time window of treating towels to treating hives?

HSV_Darren    228
Just picked this thread up - very interesting.

Have a few questions i hope someone can help with

does anyone put a layer of plastic or something under the roof to stop in corroding? or will the hive mat be enough?

Is it temperature affected? its about 28c here and around very high humidity - how will that affect treatment?

shop towel - is it paper? i have a roll of 'shop towel' i use in the workshop and its a sort of lightweight chux type woven cloth - would this work? would it slow down the bee removal?

Anyone with an idea or opinion on any of that?

Typically - i didn't read all the article before asking the above questions :whistle:. Some are now answered!!

One question i do have though that i cant see is ..... okay you soak the roll,squeeze it out - how are people storing it before going out to apiaries?

Ii don't know if i've worded it right.

If you have a roll of treated wipes are they just tasking the whole roll out wrapped in i suppose plastic and then tearing one off on site? or do you after treating the roll. peel them off and putting them into something?

Is there a small time window of treating towels to treating hives?

I used shop towels from super cheap, the are like a tough paper towel and I have notice bits of fluffy towel under the hive that have passed through the mesh floor, I made up the solution at home that could treat 3 hives that were at another apiary, I cut the supercheap towels in half and soaked them in the mixture and rung them out and put them in a plastic takeaway container to transport to the other apiary, when the mixture goes cold it sets a little and firms up, but simple to use, I treated two hives at home with the glycerine/oxalic acid and one hive had only a couple of varroa under the mesh floor and the other hive which was stronger had about 30 varroa, I didn't check mite levels before treating, but will after 4 weeks.

Philbee    1,445
I used shop towels from super cheap, the are like a tough paper towel and I have notice bits of fluffy towel under the hive that have passed through the mesh floor, I made up the solution at home that could treat 3 hives that were at another apiary, I cut the supercheap towels in half and soaked them in the mixture and rung them out and put them in a plastic takeaway container to transport to the other apiary, when the mixture goes cold it sets a little and firms up, but simple to use, I treated two hives at home with the glycerine/oxalic acid and one hive had only a couple of varroa under the mesh floor and the other hive which was stronger had about 30 varroa, I didn't check mite levels before treating, but will after 4 weeks.

Apparently there two grades of Glycerine, one light and the other is heavy.

The light one is for winter use in the cow shed.

Who knows which would be best for this use??

ikwezinz    82

The glycerine seems to be mainly a carrier, so not sure about heavy or light, the vegetable I bought is pretty thick, but when you heat it I assume it would all be the same. HSV has done what I did, true test will be a hive with a mite load?

M4tt    2,541

I have not heard of there being two grades . I believe it's all the same

In winter, farmers can add more glycerine to the teat spray for a mix with more emollient

Philbee    1,445
I have not heard of there being two grades . I believe it's all the same

In winter, farmers can add more glycerine to the teat spray for a mix with more emollient

My info comes from Farmlands store.

The 20L pail only comes in heavy but the 200L drum comes in both.

The light is about $100 more expensive per drum

Maybe its a central plateau thing?

M4tt    2,541
My info comes from Farmlands store.

The 20L pail only comes in heavy but the 200L drum comes in both.

The light is about $100 more expensive per drum

Maybe its a central plateau thing?

Ok. Thanks

Farm use is usually purchased 20 litres at a time, so it must be the heavy type I'm used to

glynn    1,129

Maybe why they say vegetable stuff

tony    1,852

Ok so i rolled out a round of treatment oxa/gly, We started with a full on trial but its came to a bit of a flop the trial that is. so my figures on this at this stage are bit invalid for a trial but very interesting results all the same.

What i used was glycerine from farmlands, normal oxalic and at this stage trying johnson nappy wipes and some shop towel type roll from super market rough cost per treatment 45 cents.

First we targeted our highest average mite site 40 hives, we then took another average count and took a natural mite fall over 48 hours, before treatment, we then treated using 50% of the nappy wipes and 50% of the shop type towel, we cleaned trays and put back in we have taken counts of the killed mites in trays under mesh floor after 24 hour this is where the trial went bit wrong we observed that the pads where stopping a lot of the mites falling out from the top box (of course) but any way we cleaned trays and tried another count 72 hours later, more for interest as we new it was not going to be accurate, so we will keep doing average site counts as we would with any treatment we do.

What have we discovered? well first up I am very impressed, It defiantly kills mites, so far the nappy wipes after day 4 they started chewing them not all but some, and the shop type towel not so much yet, we tried sca shop ones from super cheap but they are much like paper towels and disintegrate quite quickly when soaked, I attached some photos to look at you can see the amount of mites that are been killed.

IMAG0522.jpg.1c2b96d2a7d24344a5f81174df0950d2.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg.275e84214d4838d81c855c8d128c9f18.jpg

imagejpeg_2_5.jpg.081fb8d5cb312c8a9f7fbc8d18d13d41.jpg

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg.aedd7601af5a1a38cecaabea35ac6fa7.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg.ea28b0b8faa55492ac1f223cffe079d7.jpg

imagejpeg_2_7.jpg.75e33840d0e2b181e4372ea4fa89bcf5.jpg

IMAG0522.jpg.1c2b96d2a7d24344a5f81174df0950d2.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg.275e84214d4838d81c855c8d128c9f18.jpg

imagejpeg_2_5.jpg.081fb8d5cb312c8a9f7fbc8d18d13d41.jpg

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg.aedd7601af5a1a38cecaabea35ac6fa7.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg.ea28b0b8faa55492ac1f223cffe079d7.jpg

imagejpeg_2_7.jpg.75e33840d0e2b181e4372ea4fa89bcf5.jpg

• Like 2

karuhi    155

Excellent stuff Tony. I have a roll of the American shop towels the same as what scientific beekeepers calls for in their web site. And another couple of rolls coming. there is also a roll on trademe.

It is a very heavy but soft woven fabric, more like cotton than cellulose. is apparently washable!!

As long as my oxalic arrives before Saturday i will try this on some hives.

tony    1,852
Excellent stuff Tony. I have a roll of the American shop towels the same as what scientific beekeepers calls for in their web site. And another couple of rolls coming. there is also a roll on trademe.

It is a very heavy but soft woven fabric, more like cotton than cellulose. is apparently washable!!

As long as my oxalic arrives before Saturday i will try this on some hives.

have you a link for that towel?

karuhi    155

Scott Pro Shop Towels

try that one,

Yesbut has got the correct one the same as i have, which is the type that is shown in the scientific beekeepers page.

I have a sister in the states that had sent my mother a couple of rolls for ........... something :unsure:

she is now going to send me some more :)

tony    1,852

They are quite expensive, ok both of those are quite expensive at nearly 50 cents a sheet. mine are sitting around 10 cents, i have been looking at these Nappy Liners | Biodegradable Nappy Liners NZ, might get some to try.

go on ebay and those liners are even cheaper

karuhi    155

As per normal the price on Amazon is tiny compared to the price here in NZ.

Maybe if people are interested a group buy could be done if no one can find a similar substitute here.

NZ post can give anyone their American address and it is then on sent (for a small fee) - my daughter uses it often.

But even if you use the amazon option for postage that is there for 30 rolls it works out at $7.62 US per roll

WYPALL* X70 Single Sheet Wipers - KIMBERLY-CLARK PROFESSIONAL*

I would say the above product is the same as the Scott shop towels, i do not know the price though

Kiwi Bee    383

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if someone mentioned it before.

It may be time consuming on commercial level, however I was thinking to cut the towels in strips and hang them between the frames. The bees may pull them out from the hive faster, however more nurse bees will get in contact with the strips and that is where I see the effectiveness.

yesbut    3,330
NZ post can give anyone their American address and it is then on sent (for a small fee)

I use it too, but the "small fee" is getting steadily quite solid

tony    1,852
@tony do you think a geotextile mat might work? You'd get 750 20x20 sheets at around 7c each.

Nonwoven geotextile for subsoil drains

not sure but Im glad you showed this site i been looking for this for my retaining wall project. i went with another product, much inferior though.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if someone mentioned it before.

It may be time consuming on commercial level, however I was thinking to cut the towels in strips and hang them between the frames. The bees may pull them out from the hive faster, however more nurse bees will get in contact with the strips and that is where I see the effectiveness.

honestly my inexperienced knowledge so far reckons you could use a whole range of stuff, its still quite unknown, what is still unknown is how much product is been soaked in so far ours has ranged from 10 grams to 60 grams of product, depending on how well the pads are squeezed, on a hobby level you should be able to get it spot on, but commercially its going to be a test

• Like 1

Philbee    1,445
not sure but Im glad you showed this site i been looking for this for my retaining wall project. i went with another product, much inferior though.

honestly my inexperienced knowledge so far reckons you could use a whole range of stuff, its still quite unknown, what is still unknown is how much product is been soaked in so far ours has ranged from 10 grams to 60 grams of product, depending on how well the pads are squeezed, on a hobby level you should be able to get it spot on, but commercially its going to be a test

I once used very short pile lamb skin soaked in Canola and Thymol.

It was hard to believe how such a small piece could make such a large oily mess in a hive.

• Like 1

ikwezinz    82
Ok so i rolled out a round of treatment oxa/gly, We started with a full on trial but its came to a bit of a flop the trial that is. so my figures on this at this stage are bit invalid for a trial but very interesting results all the same.

What i used was glycerine from farmlands, normal oxalic and at this stage trying johnson nappy wipes and some shop towel type roll from super market rough cost per treatment 45 cents.

First we targeted our highest average mite site 40 hives, we then took another average count and took a natural mite fall over 48 hours, before treatment, we then treated using 50% of the nappy wipes and 50% of the shop type towel, we cleaned trays and put back in we have taken counts of the killed mites in trays under mesh floor after 24 hour this is where the trial went bit wrong we observed that the pads where stopping a lot of the mites falling out from the top box (of course) but any way we cleaned trays and tried another count 72 hours later, more for interest as we new it was not going to be accurate, so we will keep doing average site counts as we would with any treatment we do.

What have we discovered? well first up I am very impressed, It defiantly kills mites, so far the nappy wipes after day 4 they started chewing them not all but some, and the shop type towel not so much yet, we tried sca shop ones from super cheap but they are much like paper towels and disintegrate quite quickly when soaked, I attached some photos to look at you can see the amount of mites that are been killed.

Interesting, I found the SCA towels from Super Cheap worked very well and the bees can pull it out of the hives fairly easily, the fibre type towel would seem pretty hard for them to remove? The towel in the photos looks a lot more like the SCA towels?