Oxalic and glycerine

Discussion in 'Disease & Pests' started by ikwezinz, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Pinnacle

Pinnacle Pupa Donor 2016 Commercial

Ratings:
    +858 / -0
    Can I ask a question.

The original work or something thereafter showed cardboard strips soaked in oxalic and glycerine were quite effective.

I appreciate these are extra work compared shop towels. But is there any other reason why these strips are no good?

Thanks

2. Rob Stockley

Rob Stockley Hive Management Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +6,193 / -1
    I used OA/GL soaked cardboard. I got roughly 30% complete failure. 20% excellent result and the rest more or less held their ground. The only useful variable I can make out is that all the hives that did well we're congested with bees following removal of supers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Kiwi Bee

Kiwi Bee Guard Bee Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +740 / -2
    So not the cardboard or towel is the problem but the weather and season, influencing the number of the bees in the hive.

4. glynn

glynn Guard Bee Donor 2016 Commercial

Ratings:
    +1,358 / -0
    The problem is the commercially available strips are not just cardboard and their brew is different and a closely guarded secret as can be expected.
    I used the paper towels on 200 hives last year with mixed results.
    The good results make it worth further tests this year.
    I see some paper being chuckled out the entrance now as I finish up my winter vapour runs.
    Nan has come up with the idea of hitting them with the vapour as we put the towel in then we do a mite check in 3 weeks to check towel is being removed and is working .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lindaloo26

Lindaloo26 Pupa Commercial

Ratings:
    +151 / -0
    I tried a few cardboard strips. On a couple of nucs they worked okay. On the larger hive not so good. Used the old oxalic recipe, with no water added. Also cardboard from pizza box which delaminated. Looked for 'egg carton' type cardboard in sheets with no luck.
    They did chew them away, a pencil tip growing shorter and shorter.
    Pain to put in and move about if wanting to check the hives.
    Need active bees working away at the treatment to be effective, I reckon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Loosehead

Loosehead Drone Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Coming in to this late but in original experiment draped towels tended to be chewed through and fell to the floor where there was less contact and efficacy - but results were still good in those that remained in place.

oops sorry - have still got to work out how to use this properly and get posts / replys in right places

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  7. tony

tony Guard Bee Commercial

Ratings:
    +2,153 / -0
    I've been thinking about the cloth issue and was wondering what peoples thoughts are of making a recycled news paper with OA and gly mixed in, bit of work involved but I have a feeling the bees will readily engage with it better.
    My thoughts on the process be something like this, soak newspaper in water until it starts to breakdown, remove excess water (squeeze out), and then add glycerine and O/A, mix well then roll out, cut into strips, bag up. Any thoughts on the process please comment or whether you think it will even work, will soak some news paper today and have a play.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tony

Ratings:
    +2,153 / -0
    Ok forget the last recipe I suggested, all that ended up happening is making cardboard which is alright but way to slow its to much water. Instead I what I did was got local newspapers 400 x 300 and got two whole sheets so 4 pages thick, basically a two page newspaper, What I did then was make up 1 ltr Gly, and 1 kg OA and heated and dissolved, once dissolved I had a bit over 1700mls so I added water to make up 2000mls, just to make calculation easy, using a 60ml syringe put 50mm of mixture onto one two sheet N/P inside a fish bin targeting the centre more I wasn't worried about getting every bit, then took the next two sheet N/P and lay on top, lay it across so it looks like a + and added another 50ml so on and so on till I had done 40 two sheet N/P.
    It looks like its worked quite well the N/P can be separated still after an hour and its still quite firm and not mushy but still soaked in am just testing the storage overnight to see if they stick together, took about 20 minutes to make, will post some photos at some stage.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. glynn

glynn Guard Bee Donor 2016 Commercial

Ratings:
    +1,358 / -0
    Mite 10 sell the Scott towels now 6 bucks a roll

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. yesbut

yesbut Field Bee Donor 2015 Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +8,343 / -3
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa !

11. Lindaloo26

Ratings:
    +151 / -0
    I thought newspaper could work well. What about Handy Towels?

Could you 'dip' the newspaper in the warm solution and then stack? Bit like developing film.

12. ikwezinz

ikwezinz Pupa Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +155 / -0
    Which mitre10 had them? Can't find them on their website yet

13. tony

Ratings:
    +2,153 / -0
    Yea thought about that but wasn't sure on how much dosage per sheet I would end up with, I think it would work just bit more experimenting

14. Rob Stockley

Rob Stockley Hive Management Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +6,193 / -1
    Maybe the paper/card strips should be triangular with the point down. That way the bees might remove them from the bottom up.

15. Lindaloo26

Ratings:
    +151 / -0
    That's exactly what happens anyway. The strips I put in ended up with a pointy end, getting shorter as the bees remove it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. tony

Ratings:
    +2,153 / -0
    Im thinking this newspaper will work well on growing hives, I will try a couple of ways to apply it. I'm thinking trying whole sheet, in strips and whole sheet but cut slots down the frames with hive tool, so bees have to walk past it

17. tony

Ratings:
    +2,153 / -0
    IMG_20170715_164912680.jpg this one was actually one of the shinny papers just one sheet it absorbed ok but the 2 normal sheets seems better. IMG_20170716_105634880.jpg
    no gluing together after 48hrs I have turned them a few times now though which may have an effect but I don't think so, I Have found a exceptional hive that's just pumping at the moment so I'm going to send a single trial sheet out

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Like Like x 3