NZ commercial beekeepers - sounding out possibility of availability for work in UK.

Discussion in 'Commercial Beekeepers' started by UKLeigh, Mar 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. UKLeigh

UKLeigh Drone International Beekeeper Commercial

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    I'm involved in the early stages of a project which ultimately will need quite a few experienced beekeepers to work the UK season - NZ seemed like a sensible place to start asking questions, given our seasons are about as polarised as they can be and we share a common language....even if we get all the vowels wrong in the UK!

I'm struggling to find an organisation akin to our Bee Farmer's Association - I've found Apiculture New Zealand, but that looks to me more like a money making enterprise than a trade organisation...but I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am.

I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction....and are there keen and knowledgeable young guns out there who might be interested in principle? What/where would be the best place to connect with them. This is unlikely to be running in 2017, but increasing through 2018 and hopefully full tilt by 2019. Bee breeding experience would be a good skill to have for 2018. Thanks, Leigh

• Like Like x 1
  2. Best Answer:
    Post #13 by Dennis Crowley, Mar 24, 2017
  3. deejaycee

deejaycee Guard Bee Commercial

Ratings:
    +3,655 / -1
    You're wrong about Apiculture NZ - it'd be a good potential venue for you to contact beekeepers.

4. UKLeigh

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Glad to hear it! Thanks, and I'll drop them a line. :)

5. UKLeigh

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Well, I e-mailed them on 7th March (UK evening), and have had no response from info@apinz.org.nz at all. Disappointing. Any ideas of a contact there who might actually respond to enquiries with reference to potential work for the people they are supposed to represent? Or, are there any other professional bodies for commercial beekeepers who might be more active for their members? Thanks again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rob Stockley

Rob Stockley Hive Management Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +6,070 / -1
    @UKLeigh you might also try The Honeybee Society Inc. I think Linda Bray is Secretary and her contact details are on this page. The president is (or was, not sure) Geoff Bongard from Ashburton Apiaries. The Honeybee Society used to have a website but I'm struggling to find it right now. Someone else here may have a link. @Bonsbees or @john berry might be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. UKLeigh

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Thank you - this all helps. Glad is isn't just me having difficulty finding info! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tom sayn

tom sayn Guard Bee Donor 2014 Commercial

Ratings:
    +1,795 / -1
    the perspective that you may have some need for a seasonal beekeeper in 2018 is not exactly an exciting proposition.
    this forum reaches a lot of beekeepers and relevant info will be passed on to those that are not linked up to this forum. kiwis like to travel.
    so if you make an interesting offer here, there will be response.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jamesc

jamesc House Bee Commercial

Ratings:
    +1,055 / -4
    Might be a good job for Frazz here. I've heard that a large bee keeping operation in the UK is only a couple of hundred hives.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UKLeigh

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Thanks for your input - I understand that. Tricky thing is that at the moment, this is fact finding....chicken and egg etc. I've had some good responses so far - when I have more concrete info I'll post it. :)

11. yesbut

yesbut Field Bee Donor 2015 Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +8,224 / -3
    Judging by the price of getting motorcycle parts here from UK posting concrete is going to cost you a bomb ! :lol:lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Top Answer Top Answer x 1
  12. Dennis Crowley

Dennis Crowley Pupa Commercial

Ratings:
    +419 / -0
    My apologies, UKLeigh, yes APINZ did get your email on the 7th, but it just got missed with all that's been going on at the moment with other matters. We don't have a list of work wanted/workers needed yet but it is something we should be looking at.
    Generally when a job request comes in it gets passed on to a rep who ever is in the area where the job is based and local beekeepers then tend to full the request or not. Sorry again it got missed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. UKLeigh

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Thank you - good to know.

14. Dennis Crowley

Dennis Crowley Pupa Commercial

Ratings:
    +419 / -0
    Best Answer
    I should suggest that you could place an add in the NZ Beekeeper magazine April and October edition which goes to every reg beekeeper.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jamesc

Ratings:
    +1,055 / -4
    Should read ......"goes to every paid up member of APINZ " Not every bee keeper is a member of APINZ.

16. yesbut

yesbut Field Bee Donor 2015 Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +8,224 / -3
    Actually Dennis is right, those two editions are posted to every registered beek, Apinz members or not. (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jamesc

Ratings:
    +1,055 / -4
    Oops ... sorry. So there you are, I don't know everything!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Good Info Good Info x 1
  18. tristan

tristan Field Bee Gold Donor '17 Commercial

Ratings:
    +5,909 / -3
    i think there is an ad for beeks to work in uk in the last edition.