Manuka Bombshell

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jamesc, Apr 18, 2017.

1. frazzledfozzle

frazzledfozzle Field Bee Donor 2016 Platinum Donor '17 Commercial

Ratings:
    +9,220 / -6
    I have to disagree it is manuka that everyone wants to buy.
    The number is secondary.

How will you sell a UMF 9 that isnt manuka?
    If you sell a honey with just a number you will see all types of honey being labelled with just a number.

2. Ted

Ted Pupa Commercial

Ratings:
    +212 / -0
    I was probably being a bit facetious!! However -as we all know at the get go Peter Molans research discovered properties found only in Manuka honey which he labelled the unique Manuka factor. It was these "magical"?? properties which has created all the hype so it could be argued that it is the umf the consumer is after - the carrier could be any old rubbish.

3. fieldbee

fieldbee Pupa Donor 2015 Commercial

Ratings:
    +232 / -0
    @Emissary in your opinion is it possible for a 2.5 umf to be sold as a manuka blend?

4. Hellsbelle

Hellsbelle Drone Wannabe Beekeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Actually the Rewa Rewa is sold in food wholesalers for restaurants/commercial use. We buy it for our restaurant and even at wholesale the price makes us cringe.

5. jamesc

jamesc House Bee Commercial

Ratings:
    +1,109 / -4
    Ah so, Kimosabhe .... Then we are sunk. Done , dusted,all our dreams come to nought and once again slaves to a system ....?

6. jamesc

Ratings:
    +1,109 / -4
    Ah No, Manuka is the elixir of eternal youth. The magic to sooth your ails. The perfect marketing story for a honey that was always the poor cousin. We need to learn from it and build on it. Come this time of year i seem to get covered in bull excrement. it makes me feel a million dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. jamesc

Ratings:
    +1,109 / -4
    PPS ... where is mr philbee with his wisdom in this time of emergency !!? Gone on holiday or jus playin dog, or the goat.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. frazzledfozzle

Ratings:
    +9,220 / -6
    Im certainly missing @Philbee and his posts.
    I know he rubbed some up the wrong way including me at times but I think he posts good stuff and isnt afraid to call it as he sees it.

I Would be interested to hear his take on this.

Come out come out where ever you are !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. dean bristow

dean bristow Pupa Semi Commercial

Ratings:
    +163 / -0
    Hi all. I've been sitting back watch reading waiting. I thought I would be able to make some decisions. life decisions. my future my wife's and my buddy I'm in kahoots with in our little venture. after hearing 9umf is not classed as Manuka has me a little dumbfounded. that 9umf must have more kanuka than Manuka but still has this good umf .will moi sort this out with more testing ? . surely. what other honey has these properties . will they have a so called Manuka honey and a honey with reasonable umf of say 9 we can still go under.... we have held back for the last 8 months looks like more waiting. or a new marketing system for these Manuka kanuka blends. I am a
    procrastinator. but this is crazy. and this is just little old me.feel for all the commercial guys sitting on 20 30 drums of 9plus. is there no practically and thoughts for these people. they should have shut up. covered every aspect. then come to the commercial beeks. with what they have come up with. they are whose lives are most affected .commonsense provales .or not. this is me and my new found friend Ritalins view.

10. dean bristow

dean bristow Pupa Semi Commercial

Ratings:
    +163 / -0
    howdý man. that honey you had tested was it fresh or had it been in drums for a year or so.

11. jamesc

Ratings:
    +1,109 / -4
    Well here's the interesting thing ..... we all know that the UMF value climbs gradually as it matures, and then, correct me if I am wrong, the value declines over the years.
    The sample we sent away was from the 2004/05 season ! In theory the UMF should have been a lot lower, right?
    Time for a retest ?

"It's a mystery to me . Th game commences, for the usual fee, plus expenses ...."

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ted

Ted Pupa Commercial

Ratings:
    +212 / -0
    Private Investigations!!! Mark Knopfler is my hero!!

13. Rob's BP

Rob's BP Pupa Honey Marketer

Ratings:
    +249 / -0

Love it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Top Answer Top Answer x 1
  14. frazzledfozzle

Ratings:
    +9,220 / -6
    @Rob's BP what do you make of the new standard?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BSB

BSB Pupa Breeder

Ratings:
    +813 / -0
    A lot of beekeepers that I have spoken this season have said that their honey quality has been lower than most seasons due to the poor weather and random flowering. This has resulted in some unusual mixes and in some cases a lot more honey dew than could normally be expected. Any thoughts on whether this will result in some beeks getting different results from the new testing than they would usually expect on an average year? Might mean some people are willing to have another run at next season on some sites in the hope that an average or good season will mean better test results and higher value honey.

Seems like all of this could also be creating a 'perfect storm' in the industry. Some beeks highly leveraged, with poor crops of honey that is now of lesser value, with few people buying. All combined with not much honey being left on hives for winter, not much money in the bank accounts to feed or keep good staff on.....could be a lot of dead hives this winter if its a cold one and an up tick in AFB if people are walking away from hives till spring. Not to mention some disappointed landowners whose eyes had lit up at the prospect of a big cheque.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Top Answer Top Answer x 2
  16. kaihoka

kaihoka Guard Bee Donor 2016 Platinum Donor '17 Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +1,675 / -3
    Where does NZ get it's sugar? Australia.
    their crop has been badly affected by weather.
    I wonder if the price of sugar will be high.
    Beeks I know are feeding now when they would not normally be

17. Alastair

Alastair Guard Bee Donor 2016 Semi Commercial Platinum Donor '17

Ratings:
    +5,913 / -1
    Sugar's up 50% or so on last year, depending how you buy.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. john berry

john berry Guard Bee Commercial

Ratings:
    +3,595 / -0
    I have friends who grow sugarcane and they have been struggling with low prices for years. High sugar prices hurt a little bit but they also push up the price of products such as jam which compete directly with honey. I thought I would have to feed a record amount of sugar this autumn but fortunately the autumn has been better than summer and most of the hives aren't too bad for stores.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Shane

Shane Pupa Commercial

Ratings:
    +94 / -0

Yeah i am with you there Dean,, i'm gutted with how all this has gone down, this will effect the smaller operator massively,,, at least i am happy all the MPI lot haven't lost any sleep over salary problems, no foreclosures or just seriously bad credit issues. And now it seems my drums could possibly sit into our next coming spring. just imagine if NZ had i fantastic flow this last season, all those drums sitting(now that would have changed the price of honey dramatically) This whole thing could have been dealt with a whole lot better,, really its :crap: basically. the feedback or info given by MPI is appalling, why as a beekeeper should i have to feel my way through this mess they have served up, at my expense(having no idea what i should test for a pass) even a overall release of their findings (tests) would be seriously useful to all. To think i have got more info off this thread then those morons. Really the commercial beek industry should of had a better say in this,,,, not happy!!

20. Ali

Ali Pupa Gold Donor '17 Beginner

Ratings:
    +260 / -0
    The movement in sugar prices over any year has been curious to me. Apparently South America supplies large amounts to the world market and the price will move up/down with the price of oil. It seems when oil prices are are high a large proportion of the sugar crop is used to create fuel! Thus less sugar on the world market and a higher price.

@jamesc I think it does follow that the UMF figure would drop when the mgo level drops after a longer period of storage however from what I can understand it is not a proportionate drop i.e. if the mgo halved the UMF would probably not halve (talking in Manuka honey here) but would be reduced.
    Any which way if the DNA marker says not Manuka then surely it was never Manuka? (as in insufficient to past the required test). UMF = antibacterial effectiveness measured against the same of Phenol indicates that there is Manuka present in some proportion however a UMF 9 would have have less than 100mg/kg of MGO ( I think!Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong!) indicative there is little "potency" or the honey is naturally diluted by the greater proportions of other nectars.
    The biggest shame in my humble opinion is the test result will confirm whether there is enough Manuka to meet the new proposed standard but if not does not tell you what it largely actually is! Now pay for a pollen count too??