making a living off 350 5$ a kg

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
nelson
Experience
Hobbyist
i reckon you can make a living off 350 hives 2 full depth boxes of honey is 80 kg x 350 28,000 kg or 28 ton x 5 is 140,000 minus cost of runing it fuel sugar syrup

im thinking of getting back into it will be fun what are your thoughts people left cause they couldnt get manuka honey made the price go down but i still believe in myself enough to make it work i worked for a beekeeper from 19-24 so i think i have what it takes

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Straight up, expenses would be a fair chunk of that, for example I am paying $16 + GST per box to have the honey extracted and averaging around 17 kg's per box so there is around $1.00 per kilo of your gross right there. The other weak link in the plan may be needing 80 kg's per hive, national average is less than 1/2 that.

My suggestion would be keep your day job, but run a small number of hives, say 20 to 50, as a sideline, and see if you can make that work. If it's working, build numbers from your profits, and slowly work out of your day job.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
absolutely fantastic to see someone looking at going full time all because they like bees. :cool:

as above, do your costings. vehicle running costs is a big one.
also often you will need a hand. one man bands are hard to do and many will get a 2nd person in. that costs.

be realistic on how much honey you can get. odds are good sites are already taken.

then there is the setup costs. sheds to put supers in, somewhere where you can make gear. somewhere to put full supers before extraction. sheds cost big money. utes, trailers, forklift, lifting gear to shift hives with etc. can you drive a forklift on your yard? need to make honey pallets.
lifting everything by hand sucks.

then the other side of things, can you sell your honey? getting in with buyers can be difficult as many don't like dealing with small players.
mpi registration, rmp's etc, honey extraction. all those personal connections and industry politics.

extraction can be a problem with small beeks. need extractors with the right paperwork for export to certain countries. your often to big for clubs, sometimes to small for the big guys. don't count on being able to get extraction done locally. you may have to take it many hours drive away. that all costs.

then its also beekeeping skill. many have failed due to lack of skill. every hive needs to pay its way, having high fail rates puts you out of business really quickly.
traditionally beeks became semi commercial and built up hive numbers. that also put there skills to the test and gained experience, before going full time. but its a very very risky time.

realistically in todays prices and costs (and that so many are exiting the industry) you really need the efficiency of size. many beeks are inefficient, not having the right setup. that makes it very difficult for small beeks to survive.

Reactions: NickWallingford
Hawkes Bay
Experience
Commercial
like most beekeepers of my generation I used to run a thousand lives to make a living. When my brother retired I just kept 350 and lived quite happily of those for five years. However every thing I had was already paid for. The last couple of years were more difficult with plummeting prices and one very poor season.
I have enjoyed my life as a beekeeper but don't get into the industry wearing rose tinted glasses. Honey prices are low at the moment as is demand. Overstocking is still a problem in many areas. Varoa for many beekeepers has become the nightmare that was predicted 20 years ago and only seems to be getting worse every year.
New Zealand's countryside is littered with abandoned hives and all of those hives have a sad story behind them.
If you are really keen then don't be discouraged. I can see signs of improvement and think things will get better but if you're expecting it to return to the halcyon prices of the pastall expect to be disappointed..

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Agree about varroa, just did a re check of some hives today, they were treated a couple of months ago and time to take the strips out, some of them were crawling with varroa and hives in a very bad state. Was this a few years ago the exact same treatment would have got close to 100% result and beautiful healthy hives.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
Follow up from today. All hives had been treated with 2 strips of Apivar into the single brood box, same way I always have with Apivar, which in the past has normally got an excellent result.

Today I did 2 more sites. The first one was encouraging, nice clean brood and happy looking bees, no evidence of varroa. The next site was bad. Dead brood, bees with DWV, hives dangerously weak.

I did not do any mite washes, the hives at the good site were obviously fine, and the hives at the bad site were obviously badly infested.

Rather worrying, in the bad hives the Apivar has had pretty much nil effect. The Apivar I am using is due to expire next month so maybe that has something to do with it, but still does not explain why the excellent result at one site and terrible result at other sites.

The two bad sites have a very shonky beekeeper nearby with a large number of hives, more than 100 at one site. So there is possible reinvasion. However I would have thought that if the Apivar was working properly it would still have caught most of the new arrivals before they did too much harm.

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
i would be betting shonky beekeeper has a load of dead outs. if there is a lot of hives on site then odds are they all will be dead or dying by spring.
trouble is reinvasion can overwhelm a hive by just sheer numbers of mites drifting in regardless of treatment, especially if its a lot of hives failing nearby.