Farmer's Market Honey

Discussion in 'Bee Products & Recipes' started by BeeGirl, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Rob Stockley

Rob Stockley Hive Management Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +6,193 / -1
    Except perhaps when offering advice on NZBees? We wouldn't want any tutin laced honey to turn up in a northern farmers market, eh @ChrisM?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Janice

Janice Guard Bee Donor 2016 Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +5,501 / -0
    At the same time, we wouldn't want southern beekeepers to fret over something that's not a problem for them. The advice is different for us although we should all know the rules.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Rob Stockley

Rob Stockley Hive Management Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +6,193 / -1
    Yes and no. The topic relates to honey which is to be extracted and packaged on a small scale for sale at farmers markets. If the honey is to be sold for human consumption, then you're required to keep records for several years showing how each batch complied with the tutin regulations. Your compliance method might be that you are below 42 south but that doesn't alter the requirement to keep records for each batch. So tutin compliance is important to all beekeepers who sell honey, regardless of where they are located in New Zealand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ChrisM

ChrisM Guard Bee Donor 2016 Silver Donor '17 Beginner

Ratings:
    +1,197 / -0
    oh dear me, that opened the flood gates...
    The King said, "Bother!"
    And then he said, "Oh, dear me!"
    The King sobbed, "Oh, deary me!"
    And went back to bed.
    "Nobody," he whimpered,
    "Could call me a fussy man;
    I only want a little bit of butter for my bread!"
    and honey too of course, with apologies to AAMilne.

5. Daley

Daley Guard Bee Donor 2014 Platinum Donor '17 Commercial

Ratings:
    +3,901 / -0
    I brought up the Tutin.
    Because all the time I hear people whinging about the cost of tutin test and not wanting to test their honey.

I consider tutin to be the only safety risk around honey and really I don't care if they jarred it up in their kitchen and they're selling it at the gate, but don't blimin poison anyone.
    That was my only point.

And Rob is right it is an important component in an RMP and your auditor will want to see your tutin results wether you have tutin or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisM

Ratings:
    +1,197 / -0
    yep, all true, but somehow it got misquoted and the misquotes then got only half-read before further comment was made that was in any case preaching to the converted.

With the massive increases in hobby bk's that are being recorded in the statistics it will be interesting to see what happens with Tutin levels, hive health and AFB. I guess we are all waiting for that, expecting the worse and hoping for the best. The only piece of good news I can suggest is that most of the hobby increase comes from the cities and there is very little Tutu inside city boundaries. So while the mites, nosemas and afb might become rampant, tutin will probably not feature highly in the cities.

7. Daley

Daley Guard Bee Donor 2014 Platinum Donor '17 Commercial

Ratings:
    +3,901 / -0
    Maybe where you live.
    Some city councils are planting tutu in their parks and reserves and it is definitely a concern anywhere around the gisborne region where there is tutu on all rural roadsides and river edges. And we have a lot of vine hoppers too.

8. ChrisM

Ratings:
    +1,197 / -0
    which city council?

9. Gareth

Gareth Larva Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +43 / -0
    Below is a reply I got from Rangitikei council after explaining a few times that I am only a very small scale honey operation. I told them my my vehicle movements would be a wheelbarrow!
    They have finally passed on my request to the environmental health team for their input now. I know this info won't interest everyone but thought it would interest small scale people like myself! I will add info from the other councils if people are interested in the comparisons between them?
    If they reply to me anyway that is.

Hi Gareth,

This scale changes things for me. We would be able to consider that scale of activity as a home occupation – which means no resource consent would be required for the activity, provided you complied with the standards below. See below for the standards around home occupations.

[​IMG]

Kind regards,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Good Info Good Info x 1
  10. Gareth

Gareth Larva Hobbyist

Ratings:
    +43 / -0
    image002.jpg
    Sorry did not seem to upload before have tried again hopefully this works

• Like Like x 1
  11. BeeGirl

BeeGirl Larva Semi Commercial

Ratings:
    +70 / -0
    I'm sure that there are others out there that would be interested in hearing what the councils have to say. Keep us posted.:)

• Agree Agree x 2