Colony Loss survey 2023

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Gisborne Tairawhiti
Experience
Researcher
For those who entered their data for this survey, the results are now available at

Some interesting reading - namely losses appear to have plateaued at this time but varroa continues to be the leading cause of losses.
I'm sure if there are questions then we could encourage Pike to re-join and answer questions.

This survey also contained autumn losses (as well as winter ones) plus has the results of the well-being questions

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
a lot of good interesting data in there.

Commercial beekeepers treated varroa using various combinations of amitraz (Apivar® and Apitraz®), flumethrin (Bayvarol®), and oxalic acid during the 2022/23 season. Indeed, commercial beekeepers are more likely to use each of these treatments than non-commercial beekeepers.

that was a big surprise.
despite the downturn and the lack of $$, they are spending more on varroa control.
what would have been interesting is to know what oxalic treatment they used (or when). also the difference between brands of synthetics.

Alastair

Founder Member
Platinum
Auckland
Experience
Semi Commercial
that was a big surprise.
despite the downturn and the lack of $$, they are spending more on varroa control.

No surprise. You do that, or you are out of business.

Hive numbers in NZ have reduced by close to half over the last several years. My suspicion is many of the ones who are no longer around are the ones who tried cheap skating varroa treatment.

Symptom, or cause?

maungaturoto
Experience
Commercial
No surprise. You do that, or you are out of business.

Hive numbers in NZ have reduced by close to half over the last several years. My suspicion is many of the ones who are no longer around are the ones who tried cheap skating varroa treatment.

Symptom, or cause?
the chart on factors of varroa loss is interesting. reinvasion being a big one. but is it real or just perceived?
i think its ongoing effect of beeks walking away and big crowds downsizing. the effects will be around for some time to come.

• Agree
Reactions: Alastair