Australian manuka honey producers successfully block New Zealand trademark attempt again

Welcome to NZ Beekeepers+
Would you like to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Wairarapa
Experience
Hobbyist
Time for nz beekeepers to invent a new word to replace ‘manuka’ which indicates a certain high level of the medically valuable property that Manuka honey has (methylglyoxal). It will take a few years and a few million dollars but in the end it can work. Zespri Is an example. I would invest in that.

Tauranga
Experience
Marketer
Not helpful I know, but imagine if NZ had trademarked Manuka, say 10 years ago or before i.e. before Aussie got into labelling any honey as Manuka. Seems like another Kiwifruit naming missed opportunity

Reactions: frazzledfozzle
Tauranga
Experience
Marketer
Time for nz beekeepers to invent a new word to replace ‘manuka’ which indicates a certain high level of the medically valuable property that Manuka honey has (methylglyoxal). It will take a few years and a few million dollars but in the end it can work. Zespri Is an example. I would invest in that.
Peter, think we've got just the thing: UMF has the world trademarks, and millions of dollars and decades of marketing have already been put into it. But some here don't like it since only those who pay can use it (stirrer!)

Reactions: yesbut
West Coast
Experience
Hobbyist
It was over 15 years ago when I suggested to a member of the Maori Council that they register or trade mark the name Manuka, If they had done so we would not have the problem we have today

Reactions: Rob's BP