Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'brood break'.
Found 1 result
Hi, no hate and not too many questions people as i am working thru a scroll of data to see why, what I did if anything to help. I now have two, two year old thriving colonies, and good honey production. Bs right, no. I think I have a good clue to why they have made it but need to get some testing done and run for another year to back up this idea and data. These hives have not had a treatment of anything since March 2016, and all are on new wax September 2016, I made and cleaned, myself with new method. These hives are seven frames, insulated boxes with vents weather proofed and I use standard ten frame honey boxes on top. They were in a polystyrene hive I made for over a year until they destroyed it. A mix frames but, small cell central brood and black plastic outer frames and some foundation less for drone killing, if they build it. The only thing I do is remove most of the drones but not all. May 2017 the hive was strong but had visible varroa and small amount of dwv. September 2017 nothing was found wrong. Colony grew, grew and grew, and is doing really well with no varroa visible, good, I hope. Well anyway I thought I should post an update see some pictures. Also FYI I do not think small cell is the key, from what I have seen and tested over four years now there are some other serious factors that affect the hive and colony ability to handle varroa. Moth urine and the last pupate is just one factor, which this colony has none this year but did last year January 2017. Hive design that reduces drone and bee drift, stocking rates and sun position, or lack of sun seem to be better. I actively do 6-12 week rotating brood breaks, something else I am working on, a new method to keep the colony going while still using one entrance with two brood chambers. Anyway who really cares what I do, I just hope that one day we all can have a method to manage without any chemicals.