Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Vaporiser'.
Found 4 results
Ok so i dont post here much but i have done lots of reading over the years . during this covid break i had no work for a long period of time so had some time up my sleeve. over the last few years ive developed a vaporiser for treating my bees here in new zealand i got sick of using a wand as it took to long so developed a quick blow in system out of junk in my garage and a couple of parts from china. i re built it a few times during covid. Then i decided to make 10 stainless steel units to sell to help make ends meet due to not having a job. so here they are im hoping to sell them to people in the auckland end of nz so i can get feedback and discuss the operation of them. If they work well i am thinking of setting up making them more often but need to see feedback first. im looking at selling them for 800 each as they where quite a bit of work to make but they are fast treating the bees. and oxalic acid is cheap so i feel there worth it. I had a friend who was using one of my older versions on his commercial operation (who wants to remain anonymous) and found that during the warmer months he would just use it to treat each apiary just after he worked it as a extra boost in conjunction with his strips and then he would do a full 3 hit treatment during mid winter and found that it helped keep the varroa down. I only have 10 hives and i have never used strips in any of my hives, not for any major reason i just started with the vaporiser and haven't felt the strips where necessary. here are picture's of the unit and a video showing its operation Accidentally i did leave out of the video the cleaning process. All i do to clean it is to poor water down into the chamber which melts any bits stuck inside and then poor it back out again. This also has the benefit of cooling down the device before putting it in the truck to go to the next spot.
Hello everyone, I've maxed out my beekiness today. I've done a sugar shake test 13mites/300ish bees gives me 4% level in my new, and only, hive. I've done my first oxalic acid vaporisation ¼ teaspoon (1g) for my only brood box, as per kiwimana, and went well. Best I've ever done infact... I'm going to re-treat every 5-7 days for the next 3 treatments and retest my mite count after that (fingers crossed). It's amazing that despite this method being "mainstream" for the many years now, and well ahead of Europe's dribble method, that there is still a bit of variation in advice. I suspect it's a classic example of shining the cat & everyone does it slightly differently with the end result. Bee Culture recently recommended 2.25g/treatment/FD bloodless box, that's almost double most of the others. But it was single treatment of bloodless hive. Kiwimana recommends ¼ teaspoon per hive, others 1g (same as ¼ teaspoon) per FD brood box (assuming most "typical hives" have 1 or 2 FD boxes for brood. Scientific beekeeping hasn't really done anything on it yet, as it wasn't approved for the US when he wrote his things. I get why this technique isn't necessarily commercially viable, it's a bit time consuming, but it must be a good thing for everyone if hobbyists minimise resistance by choosing these sorts of techniques and only use strips for rescue. So it would be nice if some concrete advice on how to could be found. Also, in NZ, what do people consider acceptable levels of mite? 1%, 2% or some other figure? Thanks
Hi everyone, Pondering the warm winter canterbury is having (and presumably elsewhere) and my bees are out several times/week. But it's not warm enough to confidently open the hive. With roaming bees and warmer climes, should I be considering winter varoa treatments with my vaporiser to help beat back the spring surge of varoa? It's a good treatment for winter in that I don't need to open the hive, and its not temperature sensitive. And some of the "science" behind oxalic acid uses it to target a bloodless treatment anyway. Further info - I don't currently strips, a philosophical choice & financial choice. Last mite count was 3% on sugar shake test (down from 8% pre-autumn treatment). I'd be interested to hear what others think/experience. I listened to kiwimana podcast recently discussing this very thing, and would be interested to hear what others think.
For the new beeks, and the old dogs looking for new tricks. The oxalic acid sublimation/vaporiser use is reviewed and studied in the latest (march) Bee Culture. You can get a free online 3 months subscription if you want to check it out. Bottom line, it works. And 2.25g/brood box seems to be the magic number. But they were treating bloodless (over winter) hives for maximum single treatment effect.