Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Days Won


Blog Comments posted by dansar

  1. On 22/09/2018 at 7:46 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

    Seems like a lot of work though ?

    wouldnt it be easier to just strengthen up a single in spring then split it around now ?

    Sorry I didn’t see this comment. Yep definitely easier. But there’s no fun in doing that.

    All this was in aid of was to see if I could build up a tiny nuc through winter.

    Yes I can and I split it in spring and both colonies went on to produce around 30kg each.

    Not bad considering I used 4 mega bee patties and less that 20litres of syrup to get a 2 frame nuc to that point.


    And two weeks ago I split the original split in to 2 ten frame colonies.

    A pretty good outcome in less than 12 months.

  2. 2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

    I see a mix of plastic and wood .

    Do you have a preference.

    I prefer wood and wax foundation. 

    I bought 1000 plastics a few years ago I have probably the same amount in wood floating around too. Bees certainly like the wood and wax in the brood box. Either type work well so long as they are well prepared. Bees can wreck wax foundation pretty easily too.

    • Thanks 1
    • Agree 1
  3. 8 hours ago, Mike Fox said:

    Thanks dansar. good to see other peoples colonies are running similar to mine. (except for the loss of close to 100 hives with Nosema c ). Well done. Nucs are the answer.....whatever the question is...

    Getting small nucs (2 frames of bees) to build up through winter takes a lot of time and commitment. 

    Up to this date it has taken on average , 1 litre of 1:1 syrup and 1/4 to a 1/3 of a Megabee patty every week since June to get them to the stage they are at now.

    • Good Info 1
  4. 8 minutes ago, M4tt said:

    Might explain the shotgun brood .

    So you need a mid winter treatment ? What’s your plan 

    Shot gun brood is all sorted now, the initial problem was no pollen in the hive, zero, nada, zilch and that created all sorts of nutritional problems.  The natural pollen supply seems to be coming right now, with lots coming in daily. All of the uncapped cells now have brood in them.

    The varroa came from a drone laying queen hive that I missed treatment completely in, doh! I think there was a reason for not treating as it was going to be combined with another hive, that didn’t happen and it got shaken in front of this nuc. Not an issue. I will drop in an Apivar strip tomorrow.

    • Like 2
  5. 1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

    Nice one @dansar. I will follow with interest.


    Couple of questions: 1. Will they take down the syrup when it is so cold? 2. What ventilation do you have in these boxes to deal with the extra moisture that will be created through feeding syrup?


    A 32mm hole at the back end covered with stainless mesh.

    Never really noticed a problem with moisture other than having to reorient hives that were tilted back and rain water was pooling  on the base board.

    • Like 1
  6. Day 1

    So with time on my hands and the sun shining and being as warm as it is going to get today (around 12 degrees, but there is a keen breeze blowing  directly off the fresh snow down on the Desert Road making it feel more like 8 degrees C) I have started the project of trying to get these nucs building up through winter.  I have taken some photos of the two hives to document progress of.


     Last week I bought two new frame feeders. A new model supplied by NZBeeswax, they are Korean made. Some interesting features such as the “no drown insert and within that there is a anti burr comb insert. 




    It will be interesting to see how they perform. 



    The first nuc which I will call #1 had been given 1litre of syrup and 1/3 of a Megabee patty last week.

    Today I transferred them to a 6 frame nuc box. There are approximately enough bee to cover 2 frames and in total around half of one side of a Full Depth frame has brood of all ages.

    While transferring them to the new box I took the opportunity to inspect some suspect brood. The worst problem found was a bit of chilled brood on the edges of the brood nest, which isn’t unexpected considering the sudden cold snap we have had. Another nuc with a Drone laying queen that was culled today was shaken in to this colony as well to boost numbers by about another two frames worth of bees. A feed of 1:1 syrup with seaweed extract and the Megabee pattie was added.




    Nucleus #2 had  population of 2 frames of bees and barely 1/10th of one side of a Full Depth frame with brood of all ages. An internal feeder with 1:1 syrup with seaweed extract and a Megabee pattie was added and closed up after removing the varroa treatment strips.




    A quick whip around the rest of the hives had varroa treatments removed and the last of the patties placed in some smaller colonies along with a top up of syrup.


    Stay tuned for the next update. 


    • Like 1
  • Create New...