Jump to content

Jamo

Members
  • Content Count

    407
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

Seller statistics

  • 0
  • 0
  • 0

Jamo last won the day on April 30

Jamo had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

391 Excellent

About Jamo

  • Rank
    Pupa

Converted

  • Beekeeping Experience
    Commercial Beekeeper

Location

  • Location
    Bay of plenty

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. We have been extracting honey today. We needed to as we had run out of boxes.
  2. Orchard was sprayed 4 days prior to hives going in. Orchardist has said that what he did was same as other years and I don't remember a problem in that orchard before. Could quite easily have been an avo guy thinking that as soon as his bees were gone he was free to spray even though he may have still had 10 % flower open. I think they are still allowed to use lawsban.
  3. Thanks for the info. Bees were put into orchard 4 days after spray went on. Orchardist told me that this cocktail is same as has been used in previous years and we haven't had issues in this location before. Usually bees do really well there as there is a large gully of Bush right next door. Did not see significant amounts of dead bees outside but estimate that hive populations dropped from about 45 thousand to about 25 - 30 thousand.
  4. Does anyone know the label instructions regarding bee safe use of these sprays in kiwi fruit orchards Movento Prodigy Luna Actiguard.
  5. Nice feeder. How do you block up the holes?
  6. Hi alastair Good to see you sharing your experience with oxalic acid even if it was a negative one. We now know that hives on a flow are maybe more able to cope with excessive acid than hives on no flow. I have talked to a number of beekeepers and generally they fall into one of 3 categories. Use ox and like it. Haven't used it and maybe havent even heard of it. Have used it and are reluctant to use it again after a bad experience. The common issues where people have had a poor experience seem to be. Staples too wet. Colonies too small , less than a box. Used staples too late in the autium. Colonies moved away from poorly positioned staples. Excessive mite numbers to start with. Staples made from a material like thin card that gets chewed out too soon. Regarding staple dryness we hang ours in a rack to drain/dry for 2 or 3 days prior to use and have never observed negative effects on bees or brood.
  7. Many yrs ago when I picked up my first wax melter from norm finlay he showed me his bellow making setup which was quite impressive. I understood he was making them for ceracell.
  8. These days nosema apis is not on its own. Even if beekeepers are able to get on top of their mites a number of viruses persist for much much longer and when present along with nosema can create some very deadly combos.
  9. Spare cells available Tauranga pick up tonight or tomorrow morning
  10. Is there a feeder in the bottom box?😭
  11. Sorry no mite counts yet been too busy trying to keep them out of the trees. Am seeing the odd mite in drone brood in the 99% good hives . In the other 1% the hives are not strong enough to have drone brood and too scared to do a mite wash as the mites might outnumber the bees. Like I said probably should have killed them and started from clean slate. Most of the hives look very good.
  12. Did you have the staples in the right place😉. While some of Phil's results show some very impressive knock downs for me it has been key to keep mite numbers as low as practically possible. Also got to wonder about abandoned hives falling over causing reinvasion levels of epic proportions.
  13. The strips have worked fine in the other 99% of my hives. It's just the few hives where the mites got out of control that are the issue. Seams to be taking a lot more effort to get under control. Some of these hives have had 12 - 15 frames of good brood added over the spring but are still only a box of bees.
  14. In my opperation of approx 500 hives I have maybe 8 hives that moved away from their synthetic strips over winter and became heavily infected. These hives all got boosted with additional healthy brood and treatment with bayverol back in August. Since then they have all had extra brood injections and since end of Sep have had apivar treatment go in but some are still struggling with mites. It seams that it is now much much harder to get on top of heavy mite loads with synthetic strips. So my question to Phil is do ox gl staples have a faster knockdown that synthetics? I know that formic would maybe better in these situations and after this year am wondering seriously if petrol would be better for this type of hive.
  15. Unfortunately that generosity didn't extend to the cof world.
×
×
  • Create New...