Today I checked my hive in the hakea . It is at least 6 weeks since I looked.
In the bottom box there were 5 staples and they had pretty much demolised them .
There are slabs of brood under where the staples have been .
I could not see that the placement of staples had any effect on the brood .
There were 5 staples in the box .
The top box had 9 frames of capped honey .
They had not touched these staples .
This was my weakest hive before I moved it . The site is quite sunny and dry with a good flow all winter .
My current weakest hive is in a spot which did fine last yr with a strong hive , but I took two late summer nucs from it this yr and reduced the nos of bees too much .
I really think warm and dry is critical for wintering bees over .
A big empty space is a killer for them .