So was out working the hives today, before rain. Liked what I saw Alcohol washed the first hive I went into strong happy hive. 1 varroa. All the autumn strips intact completely. Replaced the whole 4
The rest of the site - a few hives had the middle two eaten out others had them partially eaten and nearly all of the outside strips were intact. All had a good bite to them. So ended up replacing the middle two or 3 strips depending on brood numbers and left the very outside strips, either both outside ones or 1 depending on how many I was replacing.
Who has taste tested new strips how strong are they compared to ones we take out? I dont know if I am game to taste new ones,dislike the taste of old ones.
@Philbee just a thought If you changed the colour of the stitching on the strips every few months then people could track the age of their strips by the colour of the stitching bought in certain months. just an idea.
Bees drowning in large numbers in top feeders, Bees in clumps on fence posts or railings looking lost. Bees all disappeared leaving plenty of stores in hive which dont get robbed out, unlike AFB. Only half a cup or less of bees left with a queen. Collect some (20) of those last bees put in ziplock bag and send to John McKay and DNature in Gisborne for testing.
Those hives that have died out in this way are treated in our operation as follows.
Seperated as diseased. Old frames get all wax blasted off. If frames are good for brood those boxes go into heat tent and get heated 40-50 degrees surposedly for 2 hours but often longer. Bases lids div boards queen excluders scrapped down and either go in heat tent, or dipped in janola, or if nothing done with them in winter and we are back to hot days are laid out in sun on very hot days singly exposed to heat and sunlight.
By doing this we have reduced our disease loadings and now only get the occasional sick hive. We know we had corrorapa because we tested.
We know cororapa is held in the wax because we sent our wax out of sick hives (ie cut out brood wax around the surviving bees) and sent it to John for testing.