Jump to content

Kiwi Bee

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Kiwi Bee last won the day on September 11 2019

Kiwi Bee had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

589 Excellent

1 Follower


  • Beekeeping Experience
    Hobby Beekeeper


  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Maybe this question was raised before. Will it work to put scrapped comb/honey from plastic frames straight into a spin float? I am thinking about a plain spin float and adding the comb/honey manually. Also can someone who knows tell about pricing?
  2. Does anybody have experience with 2 frames extractors? I can see a SS model on TM(for $129 + delivery from SI), however I may have to build to it a stand and fit a honey gate too. It has a honey tank at the bottom but it will turn into a mess when you open the unit to get access to the honey.
  3. @NickWallingfordhow many liters of water you need for one of those systems? One box can be up to 35kg, and one hive of 5 boxes will get close to 160kg. Just estimating. I try to visualize the 0.8m of tubing filled with water (80-90%) lifting the hive.... 3mm.
  4. This is exactly what I am after. @Hector Wongcan you remember how much did you pay for it?
  5. I sill do not get it. Is I buy a pot of honey from PnS, let say made by one of the big players, and I would like to send it to EU. Can I do it or not? If NZ Post doesn't do the job, what about DHL?
  6. Thanks guys. I know about those EU scales made for beekeeping with txt messaging etc. Also we have here in NZ on TM or few other website handheld digital scales or digital platform scales and their prices are good(China made, but under $100 so it is a good price). However what I am looking for(I will prefer) is to get an old school platform scale to have the hive on it all year round. I will check the weight when I go to the apiary and I will make notes. I am afraid to buy a digital platform one because of the rain plus it may not work to have the hive on it all the time(
  7. Maybe an oldie question, but anybody using a scale to get the weight of the hives now in the season? I can't find an old school scale or I didn't search in the right place.
  8. And think about those hives that you did not split. ? I am still equalizing the hives and I had a sign on a weak hive. Last weekend when I checked it I found a darkish small queen in the bottom box. She is mated. There were tones of fresh brood so I thought this hive changed gear and is on the right track. When I checked the top brood box it popped into my eyes a big yellow queen working hard as the dark one. A couple of minutes later I made a plan and I looked for the queens but they were hiding very well. I decided to add a QE and a super and leave it for now. They still hav
  9. Did anybody use decking timber for full bottom boards? The smooth version. I would like to make a few and I have the timber. Since it is a treated timber I am not sure when it gets wet, will it release any toxins?
  10. I had a swarm for a short time. Last week I had a call about a swarm and I went out there in the evening. Wowwww that was a huge swarm! Right up in the tree! It was very calm waiting for the night. Got myself my bucket with the extension and I collected it in a second. Easy as per the book. Maybe less than a handful remained on the branch. The bucket was 30%+ full. The bees were very calm so I knew the queen is there too. I purred the bees into a 5 frames nuc box and I had to wait till the bees started to climb the frames. Like there was no room for the frames. After a couple of minutes
  11. @Mattrustyare there dead bees also on the bottom board too? Also do bees have their tongue out?(that is from poisoning) Few years ago I had one hive poisoned. There were lots of dead bees outside in the front of the hive and many others on the bottom board. Very few bees survived it. All those dead bees had their tongue out - poisoning. I didn't find out the source of poisoning. But the most interesting part was that the other 8 hives in the apiary were absolutely fine. No problems there - not even 2 or 3 dead bees on the bottom board. It was obvious that only one hive foraged
  12. @Alastair the big vaporizer in the video you shared is available at Ecrotek. The price now is just under 5k + gst(it used to be higher, like 7k). We better stick to our sewing machines.
  13. @southbee that is bad news. Do you have to pay for the site? The good new is you can still get there with cross country skis.
  14. Let say tomorrow I buy 5x1kg of Manuka honey from the local Countdown made by Comvita. Since they are a big, legitimate company, why can't I send the honey overseas? Or am I missing something? It will be good if all this mess up will be sorted in a normal way. I will welcome the idea to have a smart code for each type of packed product we would like to sell(domestically or overseas). And linked to the seller. Have a small annual fee for that like $100/year to ensure people are not getting reluctant because of the high fee. Manuka honey(any grade) should not leave NZ
  15. I'll wait for the mentor and ask him/her to graft. If that is not an option and you said the room around the hive is limited I'll go plan B. I'll do a Demaree setup(1 bottom board; 1 lid; 1 queen excluder; 4-5 boxes; and the relevant frames + bees etc). Its a straight forward method. Queen into the bottom box with 2 frames of capped brood + empty frames, preferably drawn comb but I used new frames in past too. Cover with queen excluder. Second box, frames with capped brood in center at the sides honey and pollen frames. Third box empty frames. In your case maybe fourth box same as third.
  • Create New...