I agree, anaphylaxis is frightening. Mine was a sudden attack. I underwent the desensitisation programme for a number of years, ceasing approx. four years ago. I am very careful about all my beekeeping practises.
Until you sustain anaphylaxis, you do not realise how many people in the industry have been through a hospital based desensitisation programme.
However, the path of staying in the industry is not for everyone. I had bees for a number of years before my anaphylaxis, and it happened a week post flu. The fact I had worked commercially for a number of years without reaction, was a deciding factor for me to continue with bees if possible.
If, this had happened on my first or second sting, or in my first year, I would have most likely made the assumption not to pursue beekeeping as a hobby.