Gabor

NZBF back to buzz

you mean she is pretty or she is not a dronelayer?

Both.

• Like 1

new trick, I haven't seen this before

w-beard.jpg

Since yesterday they have reduced entrance and no landing board. I'm thinking about making a small one for them. They have mesh bottom board now. Still constant in/out movement, the others formed chains from the lid and quite literally just hangin' there. Do they need a second box or a good psychologist?

I'm going to put my neck out and say your queen is on the downward slide because it's a very patchy brood pattern and there's a lot of pollen being stored in the brood area.

I'm going to put my neck out and say your queen is on the downward slide because it's a very patchy brood pattern and there's a lot of pollen being stored in the brood area.

Mary Queen of Scotts did that.....once

• Like 1

That's interesting fraz. Apart from the second pic I'd thought there was enough "solidity" to the pattern albeit with some spottiness. The "empty" areas I took to be emerged worker bees where the Queen may have re-laid, something for me to learn here then..... Is it the level of spottiness that concerns you?....And what is your interpretation then of the pollen in the brood area? Ta

Yes it's the level of spottiness and yes in the centre the empty cells will have eggs and larvae in them that doesn't show up in the photo.

In a good hive with a vigorous queen you will see pollen mostly in a rainbow above the brood if you start to see pollen in the brood area of the frame it generally means the queen is not laying as well as she should and is not keeping up with the empty cells that become available after bees emerging.

Yes it's the level of spottiness and yes in the centre the empty cells will have eggs and larvae in them that doesn't show up in the photo.

In a good hive with a vigorous queen you will see pollen mostly in a rainbow above the brood if you start to see pollen in the brood area of the frame it generally means the queen is not laying as well as she should and is not keeping up with the empty cells that become available after bees emerging.

My Italian queens have a solid brood pattern but my carniolans can be spotty.

I think that is because the weather is so erratic.

The carniolans switch off their queen when the flow stops for any reason, like weather too bad to fly.

I think if our environment was different the carniolan brood pattern would be solid like the Italian

My Italian queens have a solid brood pattern but my carniolans can be spotty.

I think that is because the weather is so erratic.

The carniolans switch off their queen when the flow stops for any reason, like weather too bad to fly.

I think if our environment was different the carniolan brood pattern would be solid like the Italian

So in this example is brood pattern just an eye appeal thing for the beekeeper? Lots of brood with no flow means lots of feed being used whether that's stored honey or sugar. I understand the importance of having a strong hive to capitalise on a flow. Carni are like any other form of livestock. For example Not all cows are the same but they are still cows, you just manage them differently. Likewise with the bees, for someone to dismiss Carni after a few years as being difficult to manage probably hasn't tried to learn and is managing based on lessons learnt with Italians. I am glad most of my stock is Carni. The flow has really only just started here, if I had Italians I am positive I would have been feeding well in to December. The weather was absolutely rubbish through spring and the Carni trait of slow buildup based on available forage was a saviour financially for me.

• Like 3

We have to have strong hives for apple pollination in September the slow build up of carnies would be hopeless for us.

In a bad year like this I'm glad we have Italians because when the flow does kick in the bees are ready to go and boy do they go.

It's not much good if the queen has slowed down and you have to wait weeks for it to build up the numbers again, the flow could be all over by then.

• Like 2

We have to have strong hives for apple pollination in September the slow build up of carnies would be hopeless for us.

In a bad year like this I'm glad we have Italians because when the flow does kick in the bees are ready to go and boy do they go.

It's not much good if the queen has slowed down and you have to wait weeks for it to build up the numbers again, the flow could be all over by then.

Carni can be built up for pollination if that's the stock you have.

I'm sure they can but then you have to manage the hang out of them so they don't swarm 12 times before the honey flow

I would also like to reiterate to @Pete that he just happened to be the third or fourth member along with a breeder tag while being a new beekeeper that got me to open my fat mouth.

I would really hate to put you off the forum because of my comments because that's not my intention.

Moderators maybe this should be split off so it doesn't link up with @Pete post?

I'm sure they can but then you have to manage the hang out of them so they don't swarm 12 times before the honey flow

I would also like to reiterate to @Pete that he just happened to be the third or fourth member along with a breeder tag while being a new beekeeper that got me to open my fat mouth.

I would really hate to put you off the forum because of my comments because that's not my intention.

Moderators maybe this should be split off so it doesn't link up with @Pete post?

Maybe I was a bit bold to put 'breeder' as my title, as I am only an apprentice Queen Breeder for a commercial company, and really just a small time hobbyist on the side. I have changed my experience level to hobbyist, though it still says ''breeder" - does it need admin approval?

Sorry to cause confusion/frustration

Carni can be built up for pollination if that's the stock you have.

I think carniolans are just as good as Italians with the right management and climate.

When I read where they came from it was central European mountains.

Continental climates are the antithesis of my area.

They are cold in the winter so everything shuts down but when spring starts its all on .

My understanding is they do not have the stop start weather we have here.

So the carniolans would probably not shut down again till autumn.

I am not sure sure which bee suits our area , maybe something bred for Ireland or Scotland this year:(

Maybe I was a bit bold to put 'breeder' as my title, as I am only an apprentice Queen Breeder for a commercial company, and really just a small time hobbyist on the side. I have changed my experience level to hobbyist, though it still says ''breeder" - does it need admin approval?

Sorry to cause confusion/frustration

Ok it has changed now :)

• Like 2

Last night I got this cunning idea to give the hive "W" a small landing board, to help them land at the entrance, without making the entrance bigger. poked around and found a piece of wood, right size, put holes through it for screws. I went down to the hive, few bees were hanging around the entrance, I though I should wait until they all go in, snap it on, two screws in and bob's your uncle. Waited till midnight, sneakily walked to the hive with my headlight dimmed, started to screw when suddenly couple of hundred bees poured out and curiously waited on the front of the hive to see what the silly human is doing. As my hand just got back to its original shape from last week's confrontation, I decided to go to bed and leave them be. hehe :)

Feeders arrived.

I moved some hives yesterday and then went through about eight of them (with older Queens (1 to 2 years) with a more vigilant eye to spotty brood patterns. They were all actually pretty good, there was some spottiness, but there always is a bit, it is not "bad" put it that way. I think some of the spottiness is down the the Q just missing a cell or hygenic bees. There was no drone brood in worker cells and no pollen in the brood. Still I walked away thinking to cell or not to cell, risks either way.

• Like 1

Last night I got this cunning idea to give the hive "W" a small landing board, to help them land at the entrance, without making the entrance bigger. poked around and found a piece of wood, right size, put holes through it for screws. I went down to the hive, few bees were hanging around the entrance, I though I should wait until they all go in, snap it on, two screws in and bob's your uncle. Waited till midnight, sneakily walked to the hive with my headlight dimmed, started to screw when suddenly couple of hundred bees poured out and curiously waited on the front of the hive to see what the silly human is doing. As my hand just got back to its original shape from last week's confrontation, I decided to go to bed and leave them be. hehe :)

Feeders arrived.

Get rid of the light and do it just before it gets too dark to see. Or put your bee suit on and do it during the day.

Landing boards are for beekeepers not for bees. I have never seen a landing board in a feral hive in a tree or in a shed wall.

Landing boards are for beekeepers not for bees. I have never seen a landing board in a feral hive in a tree or in a shed wall.

I know, I know, but I am a newbie, I like to tinker a bit and I like to tinker with the hive stuff laying around the storage room. (it became a storage room since I started to buy bee equipment, hehe) And I found a small tin of nice, cherry red paint, so I made it cute.

I'll grab the suit and gloves.

I know, I know, but I am a newbie, I like to tinker a bit and I like to tinker with the hive stuff laying around the storage room. (it became a storage room since I started to buy bee equipment, hehe) And I found a small tin of nice, cherry red paint, so I made it cute.

I'll grab the suit and gloves.

I like landing boards,

don't listen to @Trevor, they may not be necessary to bees But they are very useful for bee keepers

I like landing boards,

don't listen to @Trevor, they may not be necessary to bees But they are very useful for bee keepers

Oh, I can't afford not to listen to @Trevor Gillbanks :)

The weather seem to sort out my problem, rain came in just few minutes ago. Might keep the bees in while I put on the landing strip

• Like 2

IMG_0441.JPG.41021ba5ca537301618c9a82f457622a.JPG I'm with you @Gabor I like to 'play'

My queens are named, hives painted and designer lids in place. Thanks to @dansar

@M4tt gets numerous questions and updates

IMG_0441.JPG.41021ba5ca537301618c9a82f457622a.JPG

• Like 2

My queens are named, hives painted and designer lids in place. Thanks to @dansar

@M4tt gets numerous questions and updates

Looks like you have a pretty cool bee stencil also.

Love it!!--

Stencil is already on my list for after I have finished renovating the sleep out and custom lids have just been added to the list