Gabor

NZBF back to buzz

After the ill-fated first attempt, several things happened. First of all I got help from forum members especially from @M4tt who offered me an FD box worth of bees and a short practical course. I visited him last Wednesday and I have learnt a lot. Returned home with a buzzing hive. The evening I got home from @M4tt my other friend sent me a mail, she said she managed to find a nuc for me and next day she showed up with the box. That was unexpected, and I found myself severely undergeared, so at lunchtime I ran to the beek shop and bought some extra bits to be able to hive the nuc. I was painting boxes and stuff all night to get everything ready.

On Friday, after work, when the weather was not too grumpy I followed @M4tt 's advice and put a second brood box (moving two frames of brood up) on the hive he gave me, and relocated the frames from the nuc box to a new hive. I did it with my daughter, she's been a great help.

Now we are running two hives, the blue one (from @M4tt) and a white one.

To9Qu816Vn2XoOt4aLt-sWgtIdQgv96BFLI5LkUgNzvOBQNZt7g2kwozJaG86QaaOuk99GJLmA---XsXMBiiTPG4Ei1qRFUCSZar-FFVajDwsgGVjhyvHmjQ9OTaocSCk7sk9GOy8-bBW67qSa9widZb7bLEKN25tKt7F4xGCHuHtDWLd6dihBxR9rO14hzW1PGh34imG3V90X4toXL3r8gCW1gkUFRAwaO85glsdoKeGkof3UvzYPbC3Sr0gSjOhVkVeT649O787fGLgBgaC1axHtDQYlSnUmeS2dEe889i4KcwaAgQwbd-wfEqzspwLsVPw3GSN_pzmxa5y36sAMrQbmwdFl7s1oRhXaGLk64xKKu9K0-AUJJMrNFx0ZIggKRI1NnPQD1581l2N_l61x7xQEEd-P_tWv39S9r8A1lX5wjC4LhWdRr7POvU9ouVuwFcgWp2RiSX1is_zvS_3Robi2KkhqRYkrJE1urWKbojLZJRCVmCL39_3TeA0lXauNvyJR-f-lOYAlYRlnF7GcxxSKezHZr9vJxhjrK7oeIR8GN002jIKWHGBdVUo4WqfXkmmeai1oTky-Wcc4VUU-MAe6dRz6097A9AydsxeU_j8NSMP-CsWA=w1035-h776-no

We saw the queen in the blue one, plenty of freshly laid eggs. This is a very calm and friendly hive. The white one is a bit more agile, the bees weren't too happy about the relocation after the one and half day they spent in the box, we could not see the queen during the commotion, but hopefully she's OK. I don't even know she is marked or not. We'll see next weekend when we're going to check everything. And I will not let the smoker go out before all is done :)

newhives-hives.jpg?resize=500%2C496

I'd like to say thank you again for all the beeks who helped us, (you can check everything in the "it has begun" topic). There is a great air traffic since, orientating and foraging as well, bees are being very busy.

I managed to see and video the "scenting" and noticed that quite a few bees from the box are circling where the nuc box was sitting on the deck. Don't know why they're doing that, the hive is about 1.5 meters away from that spot. I expected them to go to the hive as soon as possible and they spent the night in the hive, why they're going back?

I'd like to say thank you again for all the beeks who helped us, (you can check everything in the "it has begun" topic) I am utterly greatful.

I'll report back soon.

ps: In the meantime we (the kid and I) officially joined to the bee club.

youtube_hPtlH3Rs2ww_thumb.jpg?1484965555

• Like 5

All the very best. It's been a hard introduction to beekeeping for you. Just goes to show there are so many good people out there. @M4tt and your nuc friend, legend!

Looking good @Gabor .

Do those hives get any sun there?

• Like 1

Looking good @Gabor .

Do those hives get any sun there?

Probably not this summer...

They get sun approx from 10am till sunset. (northern side of the house)

pics taken at 8:45am today:

aPa73tSn88pC4d4eI9t-crma5HDM1jZRp5GC-Wk8EM4SKcU7kzXKOwQZcmDSoCyVRqAMcmnJRSV-q9mRYefsYkSvD0-lnjVvLpSBWAFQrjUqPa4mykDs3qgQAkMzvby4XElkVf-cUkAzXKFphJlODqkjIondCiroLpfWszucE-clArqThjtrxUg2DnqFsWZ--oXt_a-2gwXI_SNHJ_2QJT8DUneYmzO1ghNc69d10YJ4i5Lrar-zoyYT3wGCLm9gUj1KLKPUU6yt8ZdriHl3jdCQsPiOPNj9YQc1kHo2Bc2mABSnnBupxWdfW7oH4eRgcwpP1YcEqp64Oj_OgKYde6kcbMAI8xOlSIfVVeZS53bcltjAz83NH8u3dMaMRkhc45Hs3SxRPWylXWrvad7pc9SoaL8njhiP4a21IQNjHIC1yvGzKd8SGmGcE2mmdpGIEgxFi_hFBfxl061DM8gsrIF5WHWVCMusvEOk9MJAmA2Sab52a70R3pOGjFHHC6J9s-VOmJDXie5mq6KloLRGVeR-GRUAkmqrrsfLx5RRef3hzLftpgMLETyoWU-O9k0vnCQWFVQ6xtF4BKbT_5jOiKIb5zP4VcZWYNKPxuzVxwGouXHZKXXPLQ=w808-h776-no

_J_m2I3coMx1YBD3HXVisT5YhvimXiQWCiWGmx-tqCKA79xs8WqCghUOSBNF88L22qaIGQTTKjEE0mJQuRa_uTehbqkgzoh9mtezRbVXx-9WdxyrLMx_B480Fa7tc1TOSGAFGHJjzuJvSnjG5yKC_ahvq7tlJ7o_BqRtKpD-QpecCCPdqCjTiR-uToahuCXZcfu0ZbUqAedxkdtQB8GYjb2kAvv_7x4tcaLKFfUUl2tJVUdEIjNNDo3QsY3L6tlWXtzgELqdvS7AiICYy0YLzqJLNXK9xiWneCqc1K1-PPp1DtRmX1llwP-vkSwJd33EEVQXLLtUIuvepF9Sgv7HItG2fdf_-GICaPjsORsfMOJlXFNGS9PHS5g_7Cng1ZNmhbS9sFD9GyGuQViIr7W56ugF8Vi2qNQXOKsFm3Zv6Vuub5VlQvyFRFu38W2yUBK545YU_TQ1H54HxEPqs-ikFV6G95FwIHmdZjn9YTXeFu278Qlwrevnrqngfgv34WNlp1h0EpMeEB4yYdqSwaRr1bjEz5ESKbrBIn4zNHWMz3nQOFAh0izpr-u-vM4-iTfEEDejCqpPnKeyWAvpgL2imarihYua6TDDKv39XTDGvM9Un4Pkqw=w673-h776-no

Perfect. Thanks(y):)

it's raining again, my wife asked me 'where are you running to the garden in PJs?' I picked the 3 sunny minutes to take the pics, hehe

• Like 2

Working on those two hives directly in the flight path maybe difficult and it appears you dont have the option to work from the side of either unless you stagger them.

Working on those two hives directly in the flight path maybe difficult and it appears you dont have the option to work from the side of either unless you stagger them.

It looks like there is a pad to work from behind

We can work on the hives from the back, exactly as @M4tt said.

Unfortunately this is a small section, even it's not ideal, the best location (sunshine, less disturbance, etc.) available, I just built that small platform to level it. With just one hive it was awesome, with two it is less easy, but it is what it is.

Here is the space behind the hives from above (please don't mind the untidyness and cinder blocks :)

OK83F526OwRU4T6xbBjTDqmoSLW7l-w6f_-PAFBg4o2T0odkVS4SMdfoHqzvoYGTZkh3GnZwfpdV1_L_kGBlY4onl-1eFtxAeykwOh9vPl69IcxrcmMUmbdZxIikiLK0iaenSc-agMrOsdya1SymFVB70rvaOnv4JR8wGv40VP1YuSWfQNXdgGijhppgHKH5hQDrM-q0lpoff94b3GB8XVfbcPBY8gE7omA7E2VQM765R8suK5QTSEsPRrLE1ytWyUT4gFWvvSGzFzA5BIM13u8Qw15SfTfRA2KyTVcr4v5-RyIlHh4dKL2WST11_-i5m4l_rOh_eJd59WtYDs3ta2Ndgqr2LYFMr8bcbJZTsrPb2EoYH-WvnxjBjetIQu7o2ttu6WS5Lgl-0fWlb671iW9cXHcO2pYJns4HqPHxPF3K-mKJ6vDl7jwyrshItlfFOIBRw6Shkof2rxuPgtXn9kZyn98SRtAqGW_fA1vcHtH53cq_a4EYcEl9J99o6M8q8CBrY38AKagoRYFXethNtx9h1yyyhWnyA7uzuNlm4poWPqDWG1fCLHBjXX5JOwQx-ANKAcfJsPN0jwLRbqieDtAZFUuatFjlbu5nV0wRi_zQp1YFz74r2A=w964-h776-no

• Like 1

@Gabor half of the pictures in your posts don't show up for me. Are you using the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button?

@Gabor half of the pictures in your posts don't show up for me. Are you using the "Upload a File" button next to the "Post Reply" button?

Thats odd. I can see the pics on my iPhone, but not apple Mac safari

thanks for letting me know, I usually don't upload pics to the forum, rather link them from other hosting servers to keep the forum server load/storage at minimum and avoid unnecessary duplicats. I had a look and seems the pics linked from my google photo storage are problematic.

From now on, I'll use my own hosting site to put the pics on and link them from there as I have full control of that site.

like this, this is the last pic from the thread, now linked from my own site instead of my google thingy. Please let me know if you can't see this one.

Cheers,

forum-fromtop2.jpg

• Like 4

That one is visible thanks on both devices:)

That one is visible thanks on both devices:)

thanks, I'll create a storage on my own server dedicated to forum pics and link the pics from there.

Good to see you back in the saddle @Gabor.

I think it's been a hard start for a few of us, and even harder for the commercials this year.

Under the circumstances you can only go onward, and you know so much more than you did a very short time ago.

Best of luck for the future.

• Like 2

Good to see you back in the saddle @Gabor.

Thanks Desmo, even after a few weeks the beelessness was weird feeling. Now all back to normal, I had my morning coffee with the girls.

I think it's been a hard start for a few of us, and even harder for the commercials this year.

I'm glad it's my hobby not source of income. I hope the commercials cope.

Under the circumstances you can only go onward, and you know so much more than you did a very short time ago. Best of luck for the future.

I feel it's a lifetime learning curve, but I am on it :)

I also came across a very interesting meteorological phenomenon. There was no 60knots wind this morning and a very shiny, slowly moving object appeared on the sky. It was so bright you could literally read books at its light. Apparently it has driven the bees wild, there was a great commotion at hive entrances and significant air traffic.

I asked around and it is fairly normal in other parts of the planet during that special period called Summer.

• Like 3

I was playing with this map tool for other reasons and it came to my mind It would be interesting to visualize my "bee range".

Hypothetically bees fly in a max. 5km radius and this data is being repeated in all books from all continents. So I draw a circle with my hives in the centre (give or take) and here it is, my bee coverage:

bee-forage4.png

bee-forage1.png

That covers a great area (=πR2, R=5km), although I think they don't fly that much if they don't have to, from Bayview to Lake Pupuke and back is quite a trip. And they can fly to the Hobsonville Farmers Market, Heralds Island, etc... On the second picture it's clearly visible how many reserves (dark green) are in the area even it's well populated. Or I might say overpopulated... Plenty of them are near to the centre pin, so hopefully they won't worn out their tiny wings too soon looking for food. Interesting.

(I hope the pics are OK now)

• Like 1

:eek: I used to live and work on RNZAF Base Hobsonville.

Sobering to see what they have done to it.

I liked the area better when there were fewer people:(

That farmers market used to be Aeronautical Engineering Support Squadron.

The hangar I worked in is still there, who knows what it's used for now.

I was playing with this map tool for other reasons and it came to my mind It would be interesting to visualize my "bee range".

Hypothetically bees fly in a max. 5km radius and this data is being repeated in all books from all continents. So I draw a circle with my hives in the centre (give or take) and here it is, my bee coverage:

bee-forage4.png

bee-forage1.png

That covers a great area (=πR2, R=5km), although I think they don't fly that much if they don't have to, from Bayview to Lake Pupuke and back is quite a trip. And they can fly to the Hobsonville Farmers Market, Heralds Island, etc... On the second picture it's clearly visible how many reserves (dark green) are in the area even it's well populated. Or I might say overpopulated... Plenty of them are near to the centre pin, so hopefully they won't worn out their tiny wings too soon looking for food. Interesting.

(I hope the pics are OK now)

Sorry your bees are coming into my bees area's, and I was there first. Cease and desist. (Joke)

:eek: I used to live and work on RNZAF Base Hobsonville.

Sobering to see what they have done to it.

There is no shooting range, no rundown council houses any more, it's been wiped and developers took over. It's ok, although the house prices there are insane. They still building it, we'll see how it will be like in ten years. I've read the flyer it said there is room for 50k people... New schools has been built too.

That farmers market used to be Aeronautical Engineering Support Squadron.

The hangar I worked in is still there, who knows what it's used for now.

Probably yacht building or the building next to the pier is the Farmers Market itself.

Yachting developments is a new building. I worked in the one to the west of it. You can still see 2 "H" markings painted on the concrete outside.

It was 3 Sqn Naval support Flight, operating the Westland Wasp helicopters (hence the logo on my avatar name tag)

It gets worse, I grew up in Birkdale, moving to Glenfield as a teen. Lived the best part of 20 years total in your bee forage area.

I'm a Glenfield College old boy, so I had a look around that area (very near your place) and wow, has it changed a-lot since I last saw it. Kaipatiki road never joined Beach Haven road back then. To cross there you'd have to swim. And Manuka road used to have a large area of manuka. There were heaps of native geckos living in the manuka. (Hoplodactylus Granulatus make awesome pets, illegal to take them but we didn't know, no internet to tell us)

• Like 2

Kaipatiki road never joined Beach Haven road back then. To cross there you'd have to swim. And Manuka road used to have a large area of manuka. There were heaps of native geckos living in the manuka. (Hoplodactylus Granulatus make awesome pets, illegal to take them but we didn't know, no internet to tell us)

Yeh, when we moved here I checked the old aerial photos and saw how empty was the area comparing to today. Manuka is still here in the reserves, but native geckos... not so much. Havn't seen any... Even the orginial sections are split to half and just a few has only one house on them. Auckland is growing, the Shore grows with it.

hoplodactylus_granulatus_04.jpg.5de54ecbff5e58419c86a55be6dfa9a0.jpg I visited in September last year. My brother lives 5km up the valley behind Waiwera. He is almost a townie now it's grown so much :cry:

Shame about the geckos, they were so cute.

hoplodactylus_granulatus_04.jpg.5de54ecbff5e58419c86a55be6dfa9a0.jpg

• Like 3

One of the advantages of living in an undesirable area is nothing changes and you pretty much have the place to yourself

• Like 3

quite a few of us go where the work is, a nice, undesirable area is not an option...

• Like 1