I am not sure why the aversion to a smart phone. I use Beetight - available as a free app or $25 for larger users.

I use a smartphone constantly, it's a work tool for me, but according to Beetight the app is only for registered 'Pro' users, which costs $15 a year, not free. There is also no way on earth I'm exposing many hundreds of dollars worth of 'phone to the dirty, propolis encrusted, honey infested mire that inhabits an apiary and the worker in it, even when I can get coverage. I go home and get washed! :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... There is also no way on earth I'm exposing many hundreds of dollars worth of 'phone to the dirty, propolis encrusted, honey infested mire that inhabits an apiary and the worker in it, even when I can get coverage. I go home and get washed! :)
...I tend not to use my 'phone as a hive tool.

Cheers

Like Dave, we use cattle ear tags - screw them on to the landing board - and the special indelible pen for them. Hasn't faded at all in a couple of years.

That way we don't end up with numbers written all over boxes (which we used to do).

• Like 2
Like Dave, we use cattle ear tags - screw them on to the landing board - and the special indelible pen for them. Hasn't faded at all in a couple of years.

That way we don't end up with numbers written all over boxes (which we used to do).

Explain more please, I presumed the cattle ear tags came pre numbered, if they can be written by hand sounds like they could be the answer I'm looking for.

My wife makes stencils with the Beekeepers reg No.. Just use a spray can and job is done.

Latest stencils even have a picture of a bee on them so that the bees will know it is a beehive.

Will post a photo when I take one.

Looks like there is some interest there. Are orders bring taken?

Sent from my phone using tapatalk

• Like 1

Yep, Shaun - you can buy them pre-numbered, but you can also buy blank ones - just the traditional yellow cattle ear tag.

The pen is some special sort - more permanent than a Vivid or such - I think it actually etches or something? Kev bought tags and pen at Farmlands, so I don't know the specifics particularly, but they work a treat.

My only issue at present is that I don't like having them screwed onto the base, because I never carry a drill with me to do up/undo the darn things when I need to change something in the field. I do carry a screwdriver, so can remove them, but it's a bit of hard work to screw on a new tag by hand. I want to find some sort of clip that can be screwed onto the board so a tag can be clipped on or off more easily, but still be rugged enough to stay put for years.

As for records, a 1B5 exercise book. Can record as much or little as we need to, low cost, big enough to not lose, small and flexible enough to tuck in anywhere. I database key details at home, but really that's just enough to do seasonal performance analyses, rather than the day to day minutiae.

I can vouch for Trevor's wife's templates. Trevor showed me a beautiful example at conference.

(Trevor - I need good photos for my hobbyists too please - of template and sprayed box and might be able to get you the odd order.)

• Like 1
Looks like I will have to get Her Who Must Be Obeyed to make me the latest model so that I can do the photo thing.

See what I can manage this week end

What you showed me @ conference was amazing. I'll definitely buy one when SHMBO gives the go ahead!!

Yep, Shaun - you can buy them pre-numbered, but you can also buy blank ones - just the traditional yellow cattle ear tag.

The pen is some special sort - more permanent than a Vivid or such - I think it actually etches or something? Kev bought tags and pen at Farmlands, so I don't know the specifics particularly, but they work a treat.

My only issue at present is that I don't like having them screwed onto the base, because I never carry a drill with me to do up/undo the darn things when I need to change something in the field. I do carry a screwdriver, so can remove them, but it's a bit of hard work to screw on a new tag by hand. I want to find some sort of clip that can be screwed onto the board so a tag can be clipped on or off more easily, but still be rugged enough to stay put for years.

As for records, a 1B5 exercise book. Can record as much or little as we need to, low cost, big enough to not lose, small and flexible enough to tuck in anywhere. I database key details at home, but really that's just enough to do seasonal performance analyses, rather than the day to day minutiae.

Thanks

Here is the registration stencil that I mentioned earlier.

Size is approx 200 x 200 mm plus handle.

Cost is $20.00 each.

If you would like one please send a PM with your registration number and your mailing address.

I will then send you my bank details.

Beautiful, I've PM'd you.

Cheers

• Like 1
Hi, is it wise to add a cell phone number as well ?

We have had one special one with Name and cell phone number.

Over to you as to if you think that is a good idea. I have seen on this forum where members have seen apairies with damage and no way of contacting to owner. Extra fee for the extra work involved.

• 2 months later...

The pens is some special sort - more permanent than a Vivid or such - I think it actually etches or something? Kev bought tags and pen at Farmlands, so I don't know the specifics particularly, but they work a treat. .

. I use these pen to mark the top of my honey drum with my name ,I was reuse drum so try to remove the writing but could not every with petrol and even try paint it over but the writing keep coming Thru the paint ,very good pen if you want it permanent ,the name is called ear tag pen
  • Like 2