I'm looking for a cheap, permanent system for numbering my hives/boxes. I've had a quick hunt around but haven't found anything useful as yet. If anyone has a good system in place could they please share some details?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife makes stencils with the Beekeepers reg No.. Just use a spray can and job is done.

Latest stencils even have a picture of a bee on them so that the bees will know it is a beehive.

Will post a photo when I take one.

Thanks Trevor - have one of those.

Sorry should have been more specific. I want unique identifiers on all my hives/boxes as I want to easily collect and collate data for all my hives regarding performance and varroa monitoring.

Sorry Otto,

some beek around the world use bar codes printed on paper and laminated and stapled on the hive.They are easy to remove, but also easy to read/identify with an Iphone or smart phone.

Printed and laminated numbers sound straight forward and simple.

I'm not a smart phone user (and hope never to be) so just numbers and record keeping on paper will do me fine.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
My wife makes stencils with the Beekeepers reg No.. Just use a spray can and job is done.

Latest stencils even have a picture of a bee on them so that the bees will know it is a beehive.

PS. Are you advertising these stencils on the forum? If not, you should.

• Like 1

You could buy a branding setup that you can change the letters, don't know anyone in NZ that sells them. But a few people in the US sell them. Has anyone here used them?

You could buy a branding setup that you can change the letters, don't know anyone in NZ that sells them. But a few people in the US sell them. Has anyone here used them?

Had thought of this but hadn't really checked it out as an option as I am pretty sure it won't fall into the cheap category - penny pinching dutch genes kicking in.

• Like 2

I have been trying to find a suitable answer to this very question myself. So far I'm just using a perment marker pen on the honeys and dremel bur and then a marker pen on the Brood and base. What I would like is a low cost alpha/numeric like miniture letterbox numbers that I can nail/screw on. I don't believe that laminated paper would last very long and still be readable.

Hi Trevor, as I mentioned at the conference I would like a stencil made with the addition of my name and phone number.

• Like 2
Had thought of this but hadn't really checked it out as an option as I am pretty sure it won't fall into the cheap category - penny pinching dutch genes kicking in.

I have checked them out, think $400-500 up. Scots in me said no.

For numbers (depending on hive quantity I guess) I just buy ear tags. Barcode or not - your preference.

• Like 2
Printed and laminated numbers sound straight forward and simple.

I'm not a smart phone user (and hope never to be) so just numbers and record keeping on paper will do me fine.

Thanks for sharing.

I am not sure why the aversion to a smart phone. I use Beetight - available as a free app or $25 for larger users. It keeps good track of each hive (which I think is the objective rather than keeping track of paper which proves nothing) by utilising a QR code for each hive - access at the site with a smart phone. Another massive help is being able to take photos at the site and it is attached to that hive record. Makes close analysis of a frame easier when later looking at the photo - not having to find other cues to associate that frame with a particular hive. If you don't want a smart phone then maybe go to a tablet!

Cheers

• Like 3
I am not sure why the aversion to a smart phone. I use Beetight - available as a free app or $25 for larger users. It keeps good track of each hive (which I think is the objective rather than keeping track of paper which proves nothing) by utilising a QR code for each hive - access at the site with a smart phone. Another massive help is being able to take photos at the site and it is attached to that hive record. Makes close analysis of a frame easier when later looking at the photo - not having to find other cues to associate that frame with a particular hive. If you don't want a smart phone then maybe go to a tablet!

Cheers

Not so much an aversion. I know they are useful but I don't think I'd be that good at only using it for work. I'll end up wasting a lot of time on pointless stuff just because I can. At this stage it's easier to not have that temptation.

Beekeeping is also only a small part of my job and I like being 'off the grid' while being out with the bees. The smarter the phone the easier it gets for people to interrupt this quality time. I managed to resist getting a cell phone of any sort until 5 years ago...

I am getting reasonably efficient at collecting data on my visits to the bees so that it doesn't take too much time. It doesn't take me much time to transfer the data into excel and play with it. I am a bit of a data/number geek and very much enjoy this part.

• Like 1
Not so much an aversion. I know they are useful but I don't think I'd be that good at only using it for work. I'll end up wasting a lot of time on pointless stuff just because I can. At this stage it's easier to not have that temptation.

Beekeeping is also only a small part of my job and I like being 'off the grid' while being out with the bees. The smarter the phone the easier it gets for people to interrupt this quality time. I managed to resist getting a cell phone of any sort until 5 years ago...

I am getting reasonably efficient at collecting data on my visits to the bees so that it doesn't take too much time. It doesn't take me much time to transfer the data into excel and play with it. I am a bit of a data/number geek and very much enjoy this part.

Fair enough - beetight exports straight to excel if you want

Cheers

Yes. But propolis and wax and honey get onto eveything. Even the smoker gets gummed up.

Details need to be done as each hive is completed so dirty electronic is a problem.

Sorry guys it was my attempt at a joke!