john berry

The ongoing effects of a bad season.

Here you go, i'll share some green with you @Bron

[ATTACH=full]16508[/ATTACH]

Oh! Now that's just mean, my flower gardens wilting, and even the weeds aren't growing!

You have clovers!

I'm sitting in cool sunshine today looking back across at the fresh snow on the Taraura's. Just taken the empty honey boxes of 50 hives not a single frame of harvestable honey. hope I get some autumn feed honey otherwise it is going to be a really bad winter also.

I've been waiting a fortnight so far for my single box to get capped......I'll look again later

Mine, all FD double brood, did a box early on in the season. They were then undersupered. Only two of them have done anything of significance in the second box. The rest have been slowly consolidating the stored honey down into the brood nest. Looks as though the bees have given up on this season.

Mine, all FD double brood, did a box early on in the season. They were then undersupered. Only two of them have done anything of significance in the second box. The rest have been slowly consolidating the stored honey down into the brood nest. Looks as though the bees have given up on this season.

looks like you may get your rain this weekend, i am in discussions with the higher power to give you all our coming lot too.

it looks like i am going to get hammered on sat night with really strong nor nor east winds, my garden will be flattened.

today we have had our first gentle easterly day in weeks and the bees are really busy up in the rata trees

• Like 2

It tried to rain today, the concrete wasn't even wet, the goat was unimpressed as she hates getting wet! Saw raindrops on the grape leaves but they never joined together. Did lots of book work, ewwww!

Did lots of book work, ewwww!

If you like book work then perhaps you should be a teacher...

consolidating the stored honey down into the brood nest

That sounds a lot like eating it....:unsure:

• Like 2

I saw a passion vine hopper on my bee suit today, while it was hanging in the porch.

I saw a passion vine hopper on my bee suit today, while it was hanging in the porch.

Do you want some more ?

Do you want some more ?

Yes please. It looked lonely and there is no tutu here for it. It's going have to cope with my passion fruit

• Like 1

That sounds a lot like eating it....:unsure:

Yes, perhaps they need it more than I do.

Just to top my season off I found sticky tutu at one site yesterday with baby hoppers evident. That's going to be the next problem with no flow to speak of - tutin.

Just to top my season off I found sticky tutu at one site yesterday with baby hoppers evident. That's going to be the next problem with no flow to speak of - tutin.

I can imagine bees will be turning to that in the Hawkes Bay. Is there and sign of Giant Willow Aphid down there this season?

I can imagine bees will be turning to that in the Hawkes Bay. Is there and sign of Giant Willow Aphid down there this season?

I haven't hunted for it, but haven't noticed an issue yet. Also no apparent issue with wasps yet - I imagine all insect populations probably running behind schedule due to cool spring, but won't be long before they all turn up.

Yes please. It looked lonely and there is no tutu here for it. It's going have to cope with my passion fruit

They hide in the flax bushes , so if you can not work out where they are coming from look there

They hide in the flax bushes , so if you can not work out where they are coming from look there

It's the first I've seen for years. There were lots about when I was a kid

It's the first I've seen for years. There were lots about when I was a kid

I wonder why you are seeing them this season, I thought they were only there in the hot and dry.

Is that you

I wonder why you are seeing them this season, I thought they were only there in the hot and dry.

Is that you

Dry, yes. Hot, no far from it.

Possibly got blown in from the east coast in the wind :lol

Dry, yes. Hot, no far from it.

Possibly got blown in from the east coast in the wind :lol

I can not see how you will miss tonight and tomorrow's rain

Tutin has already been detected in honey from the area this year so it could be a bad one. If you look to our forecast of the last two months you would think we had lots of rain but the reality is when it rains everywhere else it almost never rains here and even if it did it would be too late for most of the district. We often get a forecast with Norwest winds and rain which is about as likely as me shaving.

No rain today as yet, just more wind:mad::mad: himself thinks Wednesday might get a drop or two then

They hide in my grapevine, usually in pretty decent numbers. I wonder if "grape honeydew" would market well.

Could be Marlborough's next big thing, now that everything else has been replaced by vineyards.