After removing honey-what about remaining wax and Apistan?

Tomm

Further to my post about removing honey..I did remove 3 frames of capped honey-just had to see how it tasted-first harvest. I scraped the wax and honey into a strainer bucket..which worked out well.However I was left with the foundation plus some honey. Didn't really know what to do with it but I washed most of the honey out and squeezed remaining wax.Now left with some wax.Is that what I should have done ? or can it be dried in sun..Guess that would invite other bees and still wouldn't remove remnants of honey.Incidently would the hive be ok to treat with Apistan now? I still aim to do a sugar shake test for varoa and Im not taking any more honey from this hive.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Further to my post about removing honey..I did remove 3 frames of capped honey-just had to see how it tasted-first harvest. I scraped the wax and honey into a strainer bucket..which worked out well.However I was left with the foundation plus some honey. Didn't really know what to do with it but I washed most of the honey out and squeezed remaining wax.Now left with some wax.Is that what I should have done ? or can it be dried in sun..Guess that would invite other bees and still wouldn't remove remnants of honey.Incidently would the hive be ok to treat with Apistan now? I still aim to do a sugar shake test for varoa and Im not taking any more honey from this hive.

If you only have one hive I see no harm in returning honey to the hive it came from, or letting them clean up any combs.

You may want to melt the wax down and keep it for waxing frames in the future, you can heat it in a pot and the honey and wax does seperate and you can wash off any burnt honey after the wax is set and cooled.

As for Apistan, personally it's my least favourite of the syn strips, because it has the highest residues and the most side effects.

But each to their own.

It's fine to treat with whatever you choose once you have taken honey off for the season and the rest is for the bees :D

Didn't really know what to do with it but I washed most of the honey out and squeezed remaining wax.Now left with some wax.Is that what I should have done ?

if you put the wax in a bucket of water and shake it around quite a bit, then strain off the water, then repeat a couple of times you'll end up with pretty clean wax. Or you can obviously melt it down - i recommend watching a couple of vids on this. Be a bit careful, don't use a lot of heat..

Incidently would the hive be ok to treat with Apistan now? I still aim to do a sugar shake test for varoa and Im not taking any more honey from this hive.

if you treat this early for varroa then you'll likely have to treat again in autumn. Do a sugar shake now, if varroa numbers are fine then hold off on varroa treating for another month or so.

As Janice said I let the bees clean the honey residue off the cappings, then I put the wax into an old saucepan with an inch or two of water and gently simmer. Once the wax cools the disc easily pops out of the pan and you can scrape the crud off the bottom of it, I usually do this two or three times to get good clean wax.