Carlton

NZBF Bees just hanging out!

Hi All

These photos were taken about 7:30 this morning.

It is a damp drizzly day and about 20 degrees, and was probably about 17 degrees overnight.

The bottom 2 boxes are 90% drawn with brood and stores. The top honey supers are pretty much undrawn. I have moved a stores frame from the bottom box of each hive into the top to try and get them interested up there.

When i inspect the hives they are full of bees.

My thoughts, are either cooling themselves down or running out of room. If the latter should I remove the queen excluder? If the former, just let them enjoy some cooling down time outside.

Thanks

CarltonDSCF7541.JPG.25460279e73ad9e4004673b1e35296c9.JPG

DSCF7537.JPG.351592709476f39b0be6211385b747f0.JPG

DSCF7537.JPG.351592709476f39b0be6211385b747f0.JPG

DSCF7541.JPG.25460279e73ad9e4004673b1e35296c9.JPG

• Like 1

My thoughts, are either cooling themselves down or running out of room. If the latter should I remove the queen excluder? If the former, just let them enjoy some cooling down time outside.

It's perfectly normal when it's warm and/or humid. Simply them managing the climate inside the hive.

Love the hives.

It is perfectly normal for bees to hang out the front like this. They will do it when they are too full but from your description this is not the case. My hives around home have been hanging out most days and it is simply because of the heat. It doesn't help that there is very little fresh honey coming in so more bees than normal are just staying in the hive. I have also had a lot of bees wash boarding over the last week..

There's been a lot of washboarding going on around here too with the grandsprogs in residence

Nice hives. I especially like the roof. I want something to help with with winter condensation. I must get on with it.

Great looking entrances at you hive. I had some bearding going on last week in one of my hives. Was quite humid and warm here last week. Seems perfectly normal behavior.

Epic hives @Carlton :D

So cool! :love: They probably just want to look at all their coolness from the outside