Bees becoming aggressive

Hi everyone,

Two out of my 4 hives have gone from having lovely calm bees to very aggressive bees. I had thought it was due to running out of space on one of them so after inspection I added another box. But they are still aggressive don't even like you standing anywhere near them, we got stung several times for mowing the lawn a good few metres away from them ( something they've never bothered with in the past). They still have a very active Queen in there any ideas what could be going on?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just walked in the door from a trip to shift a grumpy hive from in town . They seem to be getting worse daily , so figured it was best to shift them before someone cops a heap of stings . I'm guessing the older foraging bees havn't got much to do with things drying out , so they are turning their attention to "intruders" .

• Like 1
must be getting close to that time of year where all they people claiming "my bees are calm, i don't need to bother lighting a smoker or wearing a veil" start learning about how stings feel

Most of us were "all they people" at some stage in our beekeeping adventure. I certainly was.

Well for a completely different answer. VARROA. Every year we note this phenomena but i have a take on this.

Every season as our hives ramp up they have been out breeding the varroa, the slow down comes and varroa take over. They irritate the """" out of the girls and they get grumpy. I think it is a good indicator that its time to do something about varroa.

I noticed my big honey hives getting tichy ten days ago and treated, regardless. Took ten supers for honey today, brushed the bees off them frame by frame, not a sting, no gloves and calm bees.

When i treated some of the hives stripped brood, not lots but some with DWV larvae. Hives are off again now.

Just my own humble view, grumpy bees, check varroa status.

• Like 3
Well for a completely different answer. VARROA. Every year we note this phenomena but i have a take on this.

Every season as our hives ramp up they have been out breeding the varroa, the slow down comes and varroa take over. They irritate the """" out of the girls and they get grumpy. I think it is a good indicator that its time to do something about varroa.

I noticed my big honey hives getting tichy ten days ago and treated, regardless. Took ten supers for honey today, brushed the bees off them frame by frame, not a sting, no gloves and calm bees.

When i treated some of the hives stripped brood, not lots but some with DWV larvae. Hives are off again now.

Just my own humble view, grumpy bees, check varroa status.

I'll put the inspection boards under, the last treatment was in spring. Thank you

Different things can make bees angry. Bad weather, wrong inspection timing kind of forage among others. Bees on canola for example become quite aggressive. Supposed reason is that the foraging on canola is very demanding and damaging to the bees which upsets them making them way more aggressive. Once that flow was over, bees came back to normal. And it is never a good idea to use machinery near hives without a veil. Vibration and nasty smells agitates the heck out of them.