Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pbee

Archive Observation Hive

Hi Beeks, I have made this Observation Hive to show bees to kids at a local school. It is made from recycled Kauri Timber which came from a Ponsonby Villa. ALL parts are screwed - nothing is glued so if anything breaks it can be easily replaced. The 'glass' is 3mm Cast Acrylic Plexiglas, so virtually unbreakable. It has a lockable push-lock for the door and 2 lockable box-latches for the lid. This hive holds 2 full Lang-frames. The bottom holes on the sides are still open. One side if you want to attach a hose and use the observation hive inside a classroom and let the bees forage outside and the other side will receive a feeder. Soon! [attachment=1761:name]

Would be great to see some photo's of this when there are bees in it... Looks like a lovely bit of work too :)

[quote name='Derek']Would be great to see some photo's of this when there are bees in it... Looks like a lovely bit of work too :)[/quote] Thank you! Yes, way too many hours to make one of these! Should have bees in it on Wednesday. Got to show bees to 2 classes. I'll post pictures if I get some decent shots!

Looks like a excellent bit of workmanship, and congrats for doing the right thing by the kids, anyone who takes time out to point the kids in the right direction is a Top Bloke or "Bloke'ess"

Great to see. I hope to make a couple more sometime soon - haven't settled on a design yet but will be no frills, very basic though, as I haven't got the time. The one I have was made by my Dad. Holds 3 3/4 frames (side by side rather than stacked). He also put some time into it. The sides are 'double-glazed' perspex to provide some extra insulation for a Dunedin winter. He also put a mesh floor with removable tray under it for doing Varroa surveillance. I agree that only using screws is by far the best way to go. The kids will love it.

looks really great. I have a couple around somewhere but I wouldn't normally put bees in them in winter. Many moons ago when I was at high school I was asked by the biology teacher to place an observation hive in the biology lab. I stretched the truth a little bit and told him it would need checking every day and got to spend the next two weeks in the lab every lunchtime. I think this is the only time I ever truly enjoyed school. Of course having shown an obvious leaning towards the biological sciences I was not allowed to continue with the subject in the fifth form. I left. I have found that observation hives are fine for a day or two at this time of year but it is extremely difficult to maintain them. Much easier in spring and summer.

[quote name='Otto']Holds 3 3/4 frames (side by side rather than stacked).[/quote] Thank you! This hive is only for to show bees to school-kids. If the frames were side by side the kids would have difficulties finding the queen easily. Frames go back into their hive as soon as we are finished. Should be no longer than 4 hours. Fingers crossed the weather holds up!(y)

looks really good Pbee, you've done yourself proud there (y)

[quote name='Grant']looks really good Pbee, you've done yourself proud there (y)[/quote] Thank you. (y)

Pictures of my visit today to the local school today. Pictures taken were by the teacher and the time/date stamp would have made me be there last night.;)[attachment=1780:name]

I have got pictures of the observation-hive filled with bees. I will post them as soon as I have extracted them from my camera! Boy I look fat!:eek:

[quote name='Pbee']boy I look fat!:eek:[/quote] Probably eating to much honey;)

[quote="Trevor Gillbanks, post: 10972, member: 72"]Probably eating to much honey;)[/quote] Probably! :rofl: I'll burn it off in spring!!!!(y)

[quote name='Pbee']Probably! :rofl: I'll burn it off in spring!!!!(y)[/quote] I hope it is not chasing wasps. Let's hope for a wasp free 2012-13

[quote name='Pbee']I have got pictures of the observation-hive filled with bees. I will post them as soon as I have extracted them from my camera! Boy I look fat!:eek:[/quote] I think its just that the suit has a lot of padding... Looks like you had a very attentive young audience there (y)

[quote="Trevor Gillbanks, post: 10976, member: 72"]I hope it is not chasing wasps. Let's hope for a wasp free 2012-13[/quote] Your Word in God's ear!!!;)

[quote name='Derek']I think its just that the suit has a lot of padding... Looks like you had a very attentive young audience there (y)[/quote] Think so, got a huge envelope of thank-you letters written by the kids! Still have to read thru them! I am chuffed and I had lots of great feedback! So glad I could be of service!(y)

Great fun as well Pbee seeing the smiles on the kids faces, have done a few around the Northland schools myself, they love it aye..... Lovely looking Ob Hive..... you have to be proud of that (y). Built two last year as a project with the students must take a pick to show you some different styles. I had them build an English style one and an American style one just to spice things up, not sure if my woodwork skills are up to your though.

Hi Pbee, What is the gap between the 3mm Cast Acrylic Plexiglas? My first attempt was 39mm and I had difficulty sliding the 2mm acrlyic with the bees clustering over the brood. Modified it to 64mm and still squashed in the middle. I have just worked out why the middle frame was squashed where the drone brood are. The 2mm acrylic sheet is deformed inwards quite a bit to be touching drone brood on both sides. I suspect it will be the heat causing expansion perhaps? Does your Plexiglas deform? Until I find a solution, I will probably drill a hole level with the bottom bar and put a screw through to keep the spacing. Otherwise it is too easy to kill the queen should she be crossing that area and kids pushing on the sheet.

Hi P K Tan, distance between Plexiglas sheets is 55mm. No, my sheets don't bend inwards. I presume your sheets slide in quite snug? So when the bees heat up the hive, the sheets will expand - so they bow inwards. Shave a couple of millimeters off and see if you can turn the sheets around so they bow out. I may even consider selling my observation hive for the right offer.

[quote name='Pbee'] I may even consider selling my observation hive for the right offer.[/quote] I offer $10.00:D