When to make splits??

Hey guys. Just after a bit of advice. Was thinking of making a few splits from 2 of my 4 hives. I'll hopefully have a few queen cells to graft into them as well, speeding up the process... but when is the latest you'd advise to make splits? Someone told me recently that I wouldn't want to be making any splits after now, that my hives would be left too weak for winter. But I had thought they'd still have plenty of time to sort themselves out for winter and I'm prepared to feed them through winter if needed...

Any advice much appreciated as I'm just starting out

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You’ll be surprised how big a colony will be by October. Most common time for swarming season to start is October thru December. you can plan to split when sufficient drones are in hives to fly a

Size of colony is only one factor when it comes to swarming, Queen running out of laying space is a big one (imo), your colonies could just as easily swarm as anyone else.  If you split for swarm cont

Any advice much appreciated as I'm just starting out

Pay attention to the nectar and pollen coming in. In many areas this year the flow is reduced or non existent. That's not good news for weak colonies. @Trevor Gillbanks is spot on.

I have a few late swarms here that would normally build-up naturally for winter. But this year they will probably need significant Autumn feeding to set them up for next spring.

I have two strong hives, one with last year's autum queen.

I also have 2 nucs which I am running with this years queens.

I will choose the best New queen and combine my hives so I have 2 strong hives for winter.

I have learnt from experience that 2 strong hives at the end of winter is better than 4 sick weak ones.

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks guys. They're nice strong hives, I've put another box on top and now they're in the process of drawing out the undrawn frames in there. I'll keep an eye on how they're getting on and go from there. Was thinking of splitting into nuc boxes and moving them off the farm for a month before bringing them back and placing them in a new spot. Would this make any difference?

They're nice strong hives, I've put another box on top and now they're in the process of drawing out the undrawn frames in there.

how many drawn frames per hive? Just asking as a guide towards what you mean by strong - different people perceive hive strength differently

Yeah I've gathered that. So when I put my extra box on last week they'd drawn up all their frames in one hive and all but 1/2 a frame in the other hive (they're right beside each other but one seems to be doing better than the other in that respect). But compared with other people's hives that I've seen mine seem to have HEAPS of bees and heaps of brood but they've also now got another 10 undrawn frames to work on too...

Was thinking of splitting into nuc boxes and moving them off the farm for a month before bringing them back and placing them in a new spot. Would this make any difference?

I would not split your hives 4 ways. I would only split in half. (10 frames each) and put an extra box on each at the time of splitting.

This should give 4 strong hives for winter rather than 8 NUC's that will possibly not grow into 10 frames by the end of August.

Walk before you try to run to fast.

I have learnt from experience that 2 strong hives at the end of winter is better than 4 sick weak ones.

I agree 100%

I would not split your hives 4 ways. I would only split in half. (10 frames each) and put an extra box on each at the time of splitting.

This should give 4 strong hives for winter rather than 8 NUC's that will possibly not grow into 10 frames by the end of August.

Walk before you try to run to fast.

I agree 100%

Yeah I had wondered about that. And we can get some rough winters up here too so I'm all for being conservative. The main reason for wanting to make nucs instead of splitting into 2 hives was just for ease of transport into the town block. I'd like to just plop them straight into their new spot but worried they'd not be far enough away and would just fly away home?

From this thread is it ok to do a 5 frame nuc spilt off a strong auckland hive taking the queen in the nuc and letting the original hive generate a new queen? Enough time before autumn?

yes, but i would do a 8 or 10 frame split.

it just gets them going so much quicker and less prone to issues like robbing.

downside is its harder to move them.

If after spliting and found not to be strong, there is the option to recombine or two queen hive with excluder.

while that is a very good idea, the problem tends to be that people don't realize they are not strong until its far to late.

its far better not to get into that situation to start with.

Depends what a "strong Auckland hive" is. If you've got a box that has a Queen Excluder on it that bottom box may contain several frames which have different states of brood, and you can take at least two of those frames of brood and others with stores to make up a five frame nuc. If light on stores feed sugar syrup 2:1.

Building up my first hive at the moment for a late summer split. Been feeding them right up till now. Put the third broodbox on last Sunday, and yesterday I took out the side frames of the FD bottom box (I'm only running mediums) and replaced them in the middle with 3 mediums to encourage them to go up. They have been builing some nice comb in box 2 and also started in box 3 with drawing out comb. Looking forward to go into Autumn with 2 hives instead of one.

Building up my first hive at the moment for a late summer split. Been feeding them right up till now. Put the third broodbox on last Sunday, and yesterday I took out the side frames of the FD bottom box (I'm only running mediums) and replaced them in the middle with 3 mediums to encourage them to go up. They have been builing some nice comb in box 2 and also started in box 3 with drawing out comb. Looking forward to go into Autumn with 2 hives instead of one.

Hey your profile says you're around Rangataua, is that right...? Near Kune....?

Jus jumping in on ur post GbG,got a similar question for the experts..I have four single box hives,2 x 3/4 and 2x FD all have 6-7 frames of capped brood and wondering keep them at this size now til winter...by making a nuc from each when they get to 8-9 frames brood or add another box for brood and honey stores an winter as 2 box hives?