Hi, my husband and I have purchased our first hive. We have a few beekeeping friends who have inspected it and advised us that the next step is to purchase a nucleus...We live in Kinloch Taupo and would appreciate any advice as to where or whom we can purchase from, or if there are any swarms?

Kind regards

Iggy

I would talk to John Carter from the Taupo Bee Club, PM for his details. I don't think he would appreciate me putting his number here.

I would talk to John Carter from the Taupo Bee Club, PM for his details. I don't think he would appreciate me putting his number here.

Thank you Kiwimana - but I'm new to this and don't know how to PM on this...

I'm meeting John tomorrow night at a beekeeping meeting , very excited and once again thank you for the help...

you would be well advised to avoid buying any hives out of Taupo township right now.

It is struggling with AFB as publicised in the local news paper

you would be well advised to avoid buying any hives out of Taupo township right now.

It is struggling with AFB as publicised in the local news paper

Oh no...I've already bought one...:eek:I will be vigilant in checking the hive!!!;)

Oh no...I've already bought one...:eek:I will be vigilant in checking the hive!!!;)

Will make for an interesting decision come time to add your flow frames. Could turn into an expensive bonfire.

Will make for an interesting decision come time to add your flow frames. Could turn into an expensive bonfire.

What's your next Aliexpress purchase???;)

Taupo beekeeper starting Taupo Bee Club to help fight American Foul Brood disease

You contacted me about a Nuc but didn't follow it up.

Maybe it was a bit rich for you?

This beek that sold you your Nuc had a duty of care to disclose the urban Taupo.

Myself and a Taupo breeder have both found multiple AFB cases in Urban Taupo

What's your next Aliexpress purchase???;)

Yeah, nah! Even the copies are expensive.

Taupo beekeeper starting Taupo Bee Club to help fight American Foul Brood disease

This beek that sold you your Nuc had a duty of care to disclose the urban Taupo.

Is this to me?? I'm a bit confused...I've not purchased a Nuc yet, am going to a bee meeting tonight to meet with other local beekeepers. Have inquired about local Nucs...Confused...

@Iggy, don't worry too much about the nuc & AFB comments, someone must have misread you initial post and thought you have bought your bees rather than just their anticipated home. If it is all new gear you don't have any reason to be concerned. Used boxes/frames etc are a real concern.

Bee club is great place to start and hopefully find an experienced Beekeeper/mentor who will see you right without any added worries. Just go for it and enjoy!

• Like 1

@Iggy, don't worry too much about the nuc & AFB comments, someone must have misread you initial post and thought you have bought your bees rather than just their anticipated home. If it is all new gear you don't have any reason to be concerned. Used boxes/frames etc are a real concern.

Bee club is great place to start and hopefully find an experienced Beekeeper/mentor who will see you right without any added worries. Just go for it and enjoy!

I will repeat my prior statement.

It would be wise to Avoid buying hives from Urban Taupo

Urban Taupo is currently a cesspool of AFB.

My advice would be to steer a 20km clearing course around the town.

This advice especially goes to beginners with Flow hives.

For the record I would never sell a nuc to a beginner for use in a Flow hive for any amount of money

Dear Philbee

I've been to a bee keepers meeting and not one person there had AFB...are you able to provide evidence regarding the cesspool?

• Like 1

Dear Philbee

I've been to a bee keepers meeting and not one person there had AFB...are you able to provide evidence regarding the cesspool?

Are you serious?

A bloke I met once told me he never met so many innocent people till he went to Jail.

Ive seen AFB in Taupo, People I know see AFB in Taupo and the article written by a person you will have dealt with has seen excessive AFB in Taupo.

What more do you want?

I discussed this with John, his story is different. He's also my nuc supplier...thank you for your concern, I'll share this with him just to be clear.

I discussed this with John, his story is different. He's also my nuc supplier...thank you for your concern, I'll share this with him just to be clear.

How different?

My concern is for everyone within a 2km radius of your Flow hive

He didn't seem to think there was a problem...why is my Flow Hive an issue?

He didn't seem to think there was a problem...why is my Flow Hive an issue?

I don't think @Philbee has a problem with your flow hive per se, it's more likely where he perceives your bees have come from.

I think the Stuff artical is poorly written. It could be read that John thinks we're not on top of AFB nationally (who would disagree?) and that he's setting up a club to help Taupo beekeepers manage that risk. It could also be read that his concerns are local, aka a cesspool.

That @Philbee knows people who have found AFB in Taupo doesn't surprise me at all. It's everywhere. If you keep bees long enough or know enough beekeepers then there will be experience with AFB. In fact it would worry me if none of the beekeepers I met regularly had experience of AFB. Are they hiding it? Do they know what it looks like?

So from the artical it seems reasonable that John is well aware of AFB and that any NUC provided by him would be free of clinical symptoms. That's not to say that your clean NUC wouldn't then pick up AFB from another colony nearby. There are no guarantees. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Keep a box of matches in your bee toolbox.

• Like 1

I think the Stuff artical is poorly written

I couldn't agree more

Taupo or any other urban location is a very small space when viewed as 2000m circles.

From what Ive seen I would not bother keeping Bees in the Taupo Urban area or probably any other Urban area for that matter but my main actual experience relates to Taupo.

I dont have a problem with flow hives specifically.

Its the combination of the flow hive and the beginner Beek that is worrying.

There is only one way to get into Beekeeping successfully and that's with a proper Beehive.

A flow hive IMO is possibly most suitable for an experienced Beek.

Personally Id have my doubts as to the suitability of the flow hive for bush honey anyway so wouldn't want one myself.

Recently I dealt with a person who spent a lot of money with me and when I delivered his Bees and Queens I realised he had probably wasted a good deal of money on his purchases.

I suggested he hook up with this site and learn some skills.

His reply was that he was a member of a large Beekeeping Club and got good info from them.

IMO Bee clubs are a waste of time, possibly a case of the blind leading the blind.

When I joined the Rotorua Bee club there was a Commercial Beek who would come along and help.

He appeared to have the worries of the world on his shoulders and now I realise why.

Back to Flow Hives

My recommendation would be to put it the shed this season and focus on fattening your Nuc as its too late for a Honey crop from a Nuc this season anyway.

Get it through winter and expanded next spring.

Having done this, then consider using the Flow hive.

Definition of terms

"waste of time" Time that can be better utilized

"Recently" 3 months ago

Large Beekeeping Club "Not Rotorua"

• Like 1