myrtle4

theft,etc

Just an observation. I was at Dargaville yesterday for my 10 yo sons swimming races. A chap asked our history abit. I mentioned we were beekeepers, he then said that it was an industry on the slide, I do agree with him. As far as we have heard, bees on pellets being burnt, foul brood spread on purpose. With us, hives stolen thru locked gates, bees and frames removed but boxes/lids/bases left behind intact, so you would not know...Not sure how to end my post, so..... Dad has been in industry for a while, hobby from school:)) Now 76 and still full on, just disheartening how things have become right now....

• Sad 1

Hey there Myrtle .... We spent 3 years up in the North island chasing the Gold. No doubt we found the motherlode, but man was it stressful. Bees stolen, Beekeepers who couldn't give a damn as long as their wages were paid,bees burnt .... we flew into a site to pull the bees out and found a pile of scorched tin lids and staples ... and then got burnt with our contract extractor whacking on charges above and beyond the stated price .... a landowner who virtually through a 20 grand cheque back in my face saying it wasn't enough for the 60 hives on his property ..... it was an eye opener to say the least. Contracted to put bees into sites knowing full well the bees weren't gonna make honey but we daren't lose the site so a suicide mission and maybe next year ....

I feel for you guys.

We came home. We don't get top dollar, but I get to put bees where twenty nine summers of experience tells me where they might do all right. We run the honey through our own plant and don't grizzle too much at the broken frames, and end the day with a beer and a sense of achievement rather than ripped offness at giving away 35% of our hard earned crop to landowners.

Yup .... I feel for you guys .... theirs no doubt there's some money to be made, but at what price ?

• Like 6

PS .... I forgot to mention the contract extraction rate per box from our good mates upin Opotiki worked out at a bit over $38/box.

Our home price is down around the $9.00 mark.

• Confused 1

I love your reply, I will show to Dad in the morning cheers:))

Hey there Myrtle .... We spent 3 years up in the North island chasing the Gold. No doubt we found the motherlode, but man was it stressful. Bees stolen, Beekeepers who couldn't give a damn as long as their wages were paid,bees burnt .... we flew into a site to pull the bees out and found a pile of scorched tin lids and staples ... and then got burnt with our contract extractor whacking on charges above and beyond the stated price .... a landowner who virtually through a 20 grand cheque back in my face saying it wasn't enough for the 60 hives on his property ..... it was an eye opener to say the least. Contracted to put bees into sites knowing full well the bees weren't gonna make honey but we daren't lose the site so a suicide mission and maybe next year ....

I feel for you guys.

We came home. We don't get top dollar, but I get to put bees where twenty nine summers of experience tells me where they might do all right. We run the honey through our own plant and don't grizzle too much at the broken frames, and end the day with a beer and a sense of achievement rather than ripped offness at giving away 35% of our hard earned crop to landowners.

Yup .... I feel for you guys .... theirs no doubt there's some money to be made, but at what price ?

I love your reply, I will show to Dad in the morning cheers:))

exactly, beekeeping and honey harvesting is hard work, my dad 76 and I his daughter sweat to put boxes on and bring harvest in...

@myrtle4 my dad has been a beekeeper since hiving a swarm back in the 1960's he went from one swarm to his own pollination business. Now bees are the life blood of two of his children who both have their own business and also pays the wages of other friends and family on the packing and selling side of the business.

My dad is now 84 and is still raising awesome queens he's amazing and I am so lucky to be able to spend time with him " doing bees".

• Like 8

PS .... I forgot to mention the contract extraction rate per box from our good mates upin Opotiki worked out at a bit over $38/box.

About $15 up here in the land of over-priced houses and flash Harry's.

Just in the time I've been beekeeping things have changed a lot, when I started I knew that this was what I was going to do for the rest of my life, but it's changed now, I still love my Bees and I love my beekeeping but other people being scum bags certainly has put a dampener on it for me. If it gets any uglier I don't think I'll be able to keep it up, but I sure am hoping it doesn't come to that.

There have and there always will be bad people.

The good people are still there.

I find the no ########s rule to be quite a good one, I just don't deal or have anything to do with ########s and it makes life a lot more pleasant.

• Like 7

As mercenary as it sounds I'm hoping this season will see some real hardships in the industry we need to hear about beekeepers losing businesses and houses rather than the ra,ra, beekeepers are raking in the money. Only problem is this would also affect the good beekepers along with the ones in it for what they can get before moving on to the next thing.

• Like 3

As mercenary as it sounds I'm hoping this season will see some real hardships in the industry we need to hear about beekeepers losing businesses and houses rather than the ra,ra, beekeepers are raking in the money. Only problem is this would also affect the good beekepers along with the ones in it for what they can get before moving on to the next thing.

The good ones will get together and help each other out. The bad ones...well...who really cares?

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2017 at 10:27 PM, jamesc said:

On 1/9/2017 at 9:33 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

@myrtle4 my dad has been a beekeeper since hiving a swarm back in the 1960's he went from one swarm to his own pollination business. Now bees are the life blood of two of his children who both have their own business and also pays the wages of other friends and family on the packing and selling side of the business.

My dad is now 84 and is still raising awesome queens he's amazing and I am so lucky to be able to spend time with him " doing bees".

Some things our mums and dads tort us are worth handing down 

On 1/9/2017 at 10:21 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

For some its not about money and there are more hobbyists out there doing it for love.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:21 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

It's not just beekeeping, it's about overpopulation and diminishing resources

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alanbee said:

For some its not about money and there are more hobbyists out there doing it for love.

unfortunately there is a great number of hobbyists doing it for the money and plenty doing it for the fashion.

• Agree 3

The greedy green eyed rainbow chasers have never been worried about bees or beekeeping  only the business of making money, and as soon as the ballance sheets start to show a decline in profits they'll be looking hard at any other industries to invest in and the pillaging will continue.

There will be alot of carnage along the way in the near future some will have already built there barbed wire canoe just haven't seen it in daylight yet.

The beekeeping industry is just starting it's purging and cleansing faze .... interesting times ahead.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alanbee said:

Some things our mums and dads tort us are worth handing down

tort
tɔːt/
noun
LAW

1. a wrongful act or an infringement of a right (other than under contract) leading to legal liability.
    "public nuisance is a crime as well as a tort"
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Philbee said:
tort
tɔːt/
noun
LAW

1. a wrongful act or an infringement of a right (other than under contract) leading to legal liability.
    "public nuisance is a crime as well as a tort"

i tort i tor a puddy kat :8_laughing:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Over Worker said:

The greedy green eyed rainbow chasers have never been worried about bees or beekeeping  only the business of making money, and as soon as the ballance sheets start to show a decline in profits they'll be looking hard at any other industries to invest in and the pillaging will continue.

There will be alot of carnage along the way in the near future some will have already built there barbed wire canoe just haven't seen it in daylight yet.

The beekeeping industry is just starting it's purging and cleansing faze .... interesting times ahead.

Agree.  Talking to senior people from a couple of large corporates yesterday and both said this season is looking like it will be worse than last year for them. ie another huge financial loss!!  Both are so deeply entrenched that it is hard to imagine how they could possibly withdraw from the beekeeping side of the industry even though their shareholders will no doubt be asking some rather probing questions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Ted said:

Agree.  Talking to senior people from a couple of large corporates yesterday and both said this season is looking like it will be worse than last year for them. ie another huge financial loss!!  Both are so deeply entrenched that it is hard to imagine how they could possibly withdraw from the beekeeping side of the industry even though their shareholders will no doubt be asking some rather probing questions.

Ted did they say what they attributed the poor season to

Was it through environmental or market difficulties.

These unusual weather patterns that we are seeing might be the new norm and we will have to adapt

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Philbee said:

These unusual weather patterns that we are seeing might be the new norm and we will have to adapt

40 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Poor season purely on the beekeeping side so environmental or overstocking would be the likely reason.  Market seems good.  They were talking manuka honey only of course which is all they are interested in.  They have been shifting thousands of hives all over the Nth Island trying to catch a flow.  One of them recently shifted a heap of hives onto a “secret” block in Taranaki.  Checked them a few days ago to discover half of the bee hive population of the Nth Island had also been moved in there.  Not so secret after all!!!!  Unsurprisingly after last seasons poor crop the comment was also made that their inventories of manuka honey have been run right down so they will be desperate to buy more - providing it meets the new standard of course.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I suspect a large element of PPBK could also be responsible for their poor crop!!

E

4 hours ago, Ted said:

I suspect a large element of PPBK could also be responsible for their poor crop!!

Do you think there will be any money for non Manuka honey .

My beek friends are onto their  6th super and wondering who will buy all there honey.

There will be no Manuka for them this year.

It's been such a fantastic flowering of everything else the bees have ignored the Manuka.

It seems like Manuka honey will be scarce everywhere this year.

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

E

Do you think there will be any money for non Manuka honey .

My beek friends are onto their  6th super and wondering who will buy all there honey.

There will be no Manuka for them this year.

It's been such a fantastic flowering of everything else the bees have ignored the Manuka.

It seems like Manuka honey will be scarce everywhere this year.

Well that’s the $64,000 question.  The word I got from my corporate “friends” was they have next to no manuka honey in their shed but are swimming in Multifloral. No pricing of any honey types were quoted but logic would say these particular companies won’t be actively buying Multifloral but will be desperate for manuka so I’m sure there will be plenty of Beekeepers who have manuka for sale that will only sell it to them if they buy their multi as well.

4 minutes ago, Ted said:

Well that’s the $64,000 question.  The word I got from my corporate “friends” was they have next to no manuka honey in their shed but are swimming in Multifloral. No pricing of any honey types were quoted but logic would say these particular companies won’t be actively buying Multifloral but will be desperate for manuka so I’m sure there will be plenty of Beekeepers who have manuka for sale that will only sell it to them if they buy their multi as well.

Well then it's about time the boffins came up with magical properties in multifloral honey . :14_relaxed:

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Ted said:

The word I got from my corporate “friends” was they have next to no manuka honey in their shed but are swimming in Multifloral. 

Well of course there is a massive shortage of manuka, now that any other honey cannot be flogged off as manuka we will return to natural proportions.

• Agree 1

Any landowners getting their rentals dropped yet?

Guy offered me his kanuka block for $20,000 and acted like he was doing me a favour, I had to say no of course but he seemed fully confident he would get it from someone, I very much don't think so.

Edited by Alastair
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1