flash4cash

Queen stop laying

I have had 2 hives now that are full of bees, honey and pollen as well as what appears to be a fat healthy queen. Both have no brood at all. There is no brood disease as the frames are all hatched and she had room to lay.

Has the queens just run out of eggs? Both were laying really well and I was continuously raiding them to make splits.

Do all queens become drone layers when they run out of sperm? Or do some just quit?

Both were virgin mated this spring.

sometimes they can shut down if being disturbed or flow has abruptly stopped.

normally if there was no queen they would make queen cells. did you knock off some queen cells a few weeks back?

the other thing is she has gone up into the supers.

you might have been raiding them a little too hard?

another option is that the queens in these hives are yet to start laying - when was the last time there were eggs in these two hives?

also - describe the hive makeup, i.e. how many boxes/drawn frames/frames of honey/stores/any brood in any state/empty drawn comb/undrawn frames.

How sure are you that the queen you see now is the one you had before?

Just had a similar issue..bought a virgin popped her in went back a couple of weeks later eggs in the house yesterday found a sealed QC and 1 with royal jelly in but not capped. Shed only been there a month or so. So I took queenie out made a 3 frame nuc with her and left QCs in. All I can say is ....women no pleasing them.

It is a good point in may not be the same queen. I am just assuming since she is a very large queen and I would expect a supercede virgin to be smaller.

The hive is just 2 boxes. And I found her in the bottom box , free range. Did not recall seeing queen cells a couple of weeks ago. If I did I would have split it off I am sure. Flow is good.

I have raided pretty hard maybe 2/3 times taking out 5-10 frames and replacing them with undrawn frames. Probably taken out a few frames of capped brood and shook the bees off to boost other new nuc as well.

Have split her into a 2 frame nuc to see if she will sort her attitude out. Will give a little syrup to see if that will entice her. Meanwhile I will merge the workers with another laying nuc.

I am just assuming since she is a very large queen and I would expect a supercede virgin to be smaller.

I find supercedure queens to be some of the largest. The bees do a good job of feeding them.

I find supercedure queens to be some of the largest. The bees do a good job of feeding them.

Some of the best queens Ive seen are big fat drone layers!

• Like 2

Just a quick update. Checked today and the queen has sorted herself out (y) and fully laid out every cell on the 2 frames. I will find her some workers and merge her back to the big league.

• Like 3