Muzza

Starting a business

I think the best protection for whatever name you choose, is to use it widely.

And choose wisely. It's easy to come up with something only you think is cool.

• Like 1

And choose wisely. It's easy to come up with something only you think is cool.

Remember it might become known internationally some day and could be around for years, so something cool today may just sound dated in ten years. And please please spell it properly, using apostrophes (if needed) in the right place.

• Like 1

Kiwibank don't deal with beekeepers. Foundation member....sorry we can't do a business account with you because we aren't interested in the industry.... Account closed. BNZ have been awesome to deal with.

Yep, same experience with Kiwibank - advertise business banking but absolutely no interest in any rural based industries. ANZ have been excellent!!

Understand - spelling is not my strong point.

@yesbut can help with that.

Muzza's buzzers

Sounds like somewhere you'd get a haircut :D

:eek: Only if you're in the military Rob!

Remember it might become known internationally some day and could be around for years, so something cool today may just sound dated in ten years. And please please spell it properly, using apostrophes (if needed) in the right place.

Sounds like me talking to my son about his tattoos

The same principles apply, I think. But I am old.

To go way back in the thread, Bron, could you please confirm / clarify about extraction and bottling. Can I extract in my bee shed and take my buckets of honey to a kitchen for bottling?

Also would mixing with a sterilised and food dedicated paint mixer be enough for low volume homogenisation?

To go way back in the thread, Bron, could you please confirm / clarify about extraction and bottling. Can I extract in my bee shed and take my buckets of honey to a kitchen for bottling?

Also would mixing with a sterilised and food dedicated paint mixer be enough for low volume homogenisation?

No. to both questions.

You need to extract and bottle in an approved kitchen/premises.

Your paint stirrer would only be acceptable if it is Stainless Steel. Plastic is not strong enough.

No. to both questions.

Your paint stirrer would only be acceptable if it is Stainless Steel. Plastic is not strong enough.

The answer is to control yourself and acquire only enough honey for yourself. That way, no worries.

No. to both questions.

The first surprises me as the frames are pretty dirty things to take into an A grade kitchen, meh rules are rules.

I was thinking of one of those passivised helixes that run on a cordless drill, designed for 20l paint pots. I wonder if they come in stainless?

The answer is to control yourself and acquire only enough honey for yourself. That way, no worries.

I have little in the way of self control, I over-do, blurt like I have Tourette's and frequently hit my head on inanimate objects.

I was thinking of one of those passivised helixes that run on a cordless drill, designed for 20l paint pots. I wonder if they come in stainless?

I have seen them in Zinc coated and painted. I think the zinc is ok, however the regulators will not accept that.

I have seen them in Zinc coated and painted. I think the zinc is ok, however the regulators will not accept that.

I've just sourced a chromium plated one ( West Auckland natch') which will do for home use, homogenisation is so important to get good Tutin analysis.

procrastinating, dumpster diving in the workshop scrap bin, marking, cutting and grinding 2x 100mm dia discs from 3mm stainless - 1/2 hr

cutting tube and bar, notching disc, welding assembly, tig brushing welds and giving sharp edges a quick buff - 1/2 hr

some refinement still needed though.

[ATTACH=full]16391[/ATTACH]

Maybe you could market them. How much do you want for one. Plus delivery of course.

procrastinating, dumpster diving in the workshop scrap bin, marking, cutting and grinding 2x 100mm dia discs from 3mm stainless - 1/2 hr

cutting tube and bar, notching disc, welding assembly, tig brushing welds and giving sharp edges a quick buff - 1/2 hr

some refinement still needed though.

[ATTACH=full]16391[/ATTACH]

That's a very good design...very similar to one we used for stirring up high solids Epoxy primers, nothing else would do the job as well...the blades were bent the other way to create lift with clockwise rotation though, should work well with honey (y)

Maybe you could market them. How much do you want for one. Plus delivery of course.

This one was just a "proof of concept/mucking around on the weekend" sort of thing. It needs refinement. If you can be bothered having a wee think about dimensions and features that would suit you Trev I'm happy to swap this and the upcoming "mk II" for one of Mrs Trev's stencils ;)

Pertinent details.

Material : 304 stainless steel

Weight : 475gm in current form.

Paddle : 100mm dia x 3mm. Blades were formed by disk cutting so the gap at the base of each blade is only 1mm. Mk II will have a 3/16 hole drilled at the base before cutting to make it easier to clean. Currently 6 bladed but any size or number is possible. Leading and trailing edges are square cut but could be bevelled to reduce drag a bit. Current blade angle is set to a (very) rough 10mm offset at the edge and set to push honey down when spun clockwise. Double paddle is possible, I just didn't have a 16mm drill bit on hand today. I don't mind making it more complex as I do this sort of thing for welding practise (I'm the oldest apprentice welder I know :cool:)

Shaft : 16mm x 1.6mm tube. Mk I has a 400mm long shaft. I can probably find offcuts right up to "silly" length so room to improve there.

Mandrel : A bit of 12mm solid rod protruding 50mm. Round at the moment but not hard to grind to a rough hex or triangle profile. Also have plenty of 12mm sq bar on hand if that suits you better for driving it.

Over to you @Trevor Gillbanks

BTW, I have no intention of going into business myself. I get the materials free and am allowed to use my employer's equipment to do "perk" work as it builds my skills and therefore has some value to the company. And it's fun :D

That's a very good design...very similar to one we used for stirring up high solids Epoxy primers, nothing else would do the job as well...the blades were bent the other way to create lift with clockwise rotation though, should work well with honey (y)

Cheers mate. Simple but functional is often the best policy. :)

• Like 1

Where can we find info related to what can be used on labels?

I mean here using on the bkping product's label some of these: New Zealand Honey, a kiwi bird, the silver-fern, map of NZ, the NZ flag....

It needs refinement. If you can be bothered having a wee think about dimensions and features that would suit you Trev I'm happy to swap this and the upcoming "mk II" for one of Mrs Trev's stencils ;)

Sounds good.

I will take some measurements off my current stirrer and let you know. I will send you a PM of my requirements..

We are 2 years into the industry with our own business and we love it. Although it is a lot of hard work, patience and learning. We found selling to our local market helped quite a lot, with social media these days its pretty easy to spread the word. Every dollar counts! $ We plan to export soon as well, tiny steps though and bigger dreams will come true ;)

• Like 2

Where can we find info related to what can be used on labels?

I mean here using on the bkping product's label some of these: New Zealand Honey, a kiwi bird, the silver-fern, map of NZ, the NZ flag....

generally, Coat of Arms is no go, Flag is go if it's not altered from the official design

"Can I use the New Zealand Flag on my website or in advertising?

Any person or organisation may use the New Zealand Flag in advertising. You must reproduce the Flag in its true form and colours. Letters or designs shouldn’t be added to the Flag, unless they appear in a different dimension and are clearly separate from the Flag's design. You can discuss your ideas with the Ministry if you want to use the New Zealand Flag in advertisements or for commercial purposes."

from here

"Government emblems and logos

It is unlawful to use the names and emblems of New Zealand State agencies and organisations on product labels or in advertising (including on websites) unless specifically authorised. Holding a Risk Management Programme (RMP) or an animal products exporter registration is not authorisation to use the logo or name of MPI or its predecessor agencies (e.g. NZFSA) on labels or in advertising. The use of names and emblems is restricted under the Flags, Emblems and Names Protection Act 1981. Labels of product (or any other food export) should not display any logo or emblem of, or refer to, a New Zealand Government department unless specifically permitted or required by the relevant department as part of that department’s administration of its functions under legislation.

Examples of what is not allowed: a) Ministry for Primary Industries logo b) New Zealand Food Safety Authority logo"

Legislation: Flags, Emblems, and Names Protection Act 1981

The best you can do is contact the Ministry for Culture & Heritage and discuss your idea with them.

The kiwi bird, silver fern*, map of NZ, koru, jandals, pukekos, etc. are kiwiana, not official symbols.

*Silver ferns should not be like AB's fern as that design is copyrighted or protected or what.

I hope it helped.

• Like 1