tudor

Sick brood

@kaihoka how's your honey flow this year? I'm wondering about the guy from up north with his helicopter and 2000 hives going into DOC land .

Our season this side of the hill is pretty dismal at the moment but I hear it's whits as snow in Golden Bay.

Actually I think everything is flowering pretty well and the odd day it is not blowing or raining the bees are bringing in a surprising amount of honey.

Makes me think about what a great season it would have been if the weather was better.

All the Manuka here flowered and the kanuka is starting strong, we are later on the coast than the rest of the bay .

The rest of golden bay is pretty white .

The rata is at about 20% flower I think.

But not all rata trees have gone into new growth yet so there is a chance they might still flower late.

Once you see the new growth you know there no chance of it flowering now .

I have been wondering about the 1000 hives too and I shall make enquires.

What is not happening in your area to make it a bad year ?

Hi Frazz ... You beat me to it .... I was gonna ask The Windswept one the same question !!

Went over to the Coast yesterday for a look see .... talking with guys ... one says the rata is non existent, another it's late. Not a lot of sign showing, but it's there .... just needs some heat. Even the coasters were complaining of the lack of vit D.

The bees were encouraging .... they went over with raw sugar on the bottom boards as emergency supplies and have done a box plus drawn half a box of foundation. The honey is bitter sweet but at least they are alive.

The clover on the other side of the hill is sitting waiting for more than a day of sun .... as are the mown hay paddocks ..... waiting for some hot weather before it all rots and goes back to whence it came from.

And in the middle of the island the Manuka is flowering, but has been pounded by wind and rain. Some has only been flowering for two weeks and is done, with dry petals starting to drop and no new bud.

Today is cold and raining again ....

I wonder what the bitter sweet honey is.

The Bush cabbage tree flowered well here and that is bitter/ sweet.

Or if the honey went on a while ago it could be Quintana, I have read it is real bitter and A little can taint a lot .

The bees were busy in the Whitey wood ( Mahoe ) this year , and hinau. The flax is not flowering so much.

Bees are busy in my clover , which surprises me , it is quite lush and the flowers are about 6 inches tall.

I had thought clover only flowed when it was short and the days were very hot.

Are they after pollen .

I am really enjoying my bee keeping , but I am so glad it is just a hobby.

Having grown up on orchards surrounded by farms I know how precarious a financial venture dependant on the co operation of the higher power can be

@frazzledfozzle @jamesc i text my friend whos farm the 1000 hives were being flown in to the hills from today.

she said some hives have been choppered in but she does not know how many.

i will make further enquiries

but I hear it's whits as snow in Golden Bay.

confirmed mass snow from the top of the hill out to collingwood and beyond

confirmed mass snow from the top of the hill out to collingwood and beyond

And gale force winds from top of hill to Collingwood and beyond.

Is it true that Manuka / kanuka does not flow when the wind is up

Confirmed .... snow in the High Country ..... took bees up there the other morning and almost needed four by four to get through the drifts on the pass. Well, not quite,the snow was higher up but I certainly needed my winter gloves to work the crane remote.

Confirmed ... hay making has been abandoned for the year . We raked a paddock ready to go yesterday that had been lying for over a week only to have the wind come up and re spread it, and then the heavens open and make it all soggy again.

Confirmed .... the bees were making honey for an hour or so yesterday.

Optimistic .... that ten days of warm weather will give us a good crop.

Relieved .... that we listened to the Still Small Voice and didn't take up the offer to fly bees into kahurangi.

And bitter honey .... could be a remnant of Quintinia ?

• Like 1

I'm surrounded by kanuka and have never seen bees working it. Ever. My crop such as it is I think a clover/mahoe blend. Yum.

I'm going to crank up my microscope one of these days & investigate the pollen.

• Like 2

Hmmmm .... yo .... it's strange. Just like when Father Christmas comes to visit each year down the log burner flue. I've no idea how the heck he does it, but he does, and puts a big smile on three small boys faces. The bees are a mystery, and sometimes there are somethings we are just not supposed to know about !

• Like 2

I'm surrounded by kanuka and have never seen bees working it. Ever. My crop such as it is I think a clover/mahoe blend. Yum.

I'm going to crank up my microscope one of these days & investigate the pollen.

i saw some bees on my kanuka today.

i think because the bush was under 2 metres high and everything above that was bent double in the wind.

and the bees were very grateful to have somewhere to collect from.