January 2017 Apiary Diary

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all, we have a hot windy day today to start the New Year, no doubt drying up the tiny speck of rain we had two days ago. No bees for us today, think I'll just pick up my oldies and cruise on into the day. Have a great year.

• Like 1
Just go to bed. Tomorrow will come just the same.

Tomrrow I go to apiaries to wish all the best to the bees. But you got it right, I am home and as same as any other evening ( I usually sleep 5-6 hours), maybe will be little more wake than ordinary..

Sunshine and windy (windy for the South Waikato;)) this afternoon. Prior to this we had a day and a half of rain which is great!

Got around most of my hives today, only checking to see if a honey super was required. I am now down to my last 12 boxes of fully drawn frames from last season. Anything else that goes on after this will be new wood and wax foundation frames.

Highlight of my day was hefting 3 FD supers back on top of a 4th undersupered box. It is is a strong hive. The only problem is they are the most vicious bees I have ever kept. They pour out of the hive when I puff smoke in, attack my legs, arms, body and ping off the veil of my suit. If it wasn't for the fact they are a box ahead of my next best hive the queen would have been replaced long ago Then to really get them going I finished the apiary chores with whipping the weedeater around the hives:)

15894575_1601399449874578_1085077599232603431_n.jpg.625106aedc9d6c88c366ad2c43cc85d0.jpg

15894575_1601399449874578_1085077599232603431_n.jpg.625106aedc9d6c88c366ad2c43cc85d0.jpg

• Like 3

Sunny day today.

Quite a few hives are honey bound in the brood boxes, so lifted up to three frames per brood box up and replaced with empty frames.

A couple of hives have a supercedure cell with the queen still laying. I didn't disturb the brood much except to lift frames out .

Honey has not come in as fast as the previous week. Weather has been crap

• Like 1
Sunny day today.

Quite a few hives are honey bound in the brood boxes, so lifted up to three frames per brood box up and replaced with empty frames.

A couple of hives have a supercedure cell with the queen still laying. I didn't disturb the brood much except to lift frames out .

Honey has not come in as fast as the previous week. Weather has been crap

a couple of my hives are honey bound in the brood box too.

were the empty frames drawn foundation from a top super.

weather still crap, well windy actually, all the rata flowers are on top of the trees, right up in the wind zone

Honey flow is pretty well non existant in most of our areas, nothing we can do but walk away and hope for some decent weather with a bit of warmth rather than the sub Antarctic temperatures we have been having

well in our area i have heard that summer is cancelled this year due to bad weather.

the management committee are considering making it a bi annual event.

or postponing it indefinitely until global warming truly kicks in and the conditions will be more favorable

• Like 2

Took a couple of boxes off one of our hives today and got 42 kg of honey. This hive has another 3 boxes on it, but not enough capped.

It was our strongest hive, but I noticed it seemed to have less bees lately. We checked the brood box and there was no sign of brood at all. Last checked the brood box 20th November when we had the AFB check done.

We have taken a couple of frames of brood and eggs from another hive and hope the bees will make a queen.

The strange thing is that this hive has never acted queenless. It is about 4 metres away from our back door and we have never had any aggression from it.

On the 12th of December we checked the top 2 honey boxes and the bees were really quiet.

We still have 7 honey boxes on three other hives, but will harvest another day. The bees still have a bit of capping to do on them.

• Like 2
What wrong with this photo

I had a couple of trainees doing a part beekeeper course and this site is behind a hedge and super hot they just about pass Out with the heat it was on the last pallet so in a rush to finish it got put back upside down

I post it on facebook and a beekeeper from Canada say it does it to other beekeeper friend as joke