Dave Black

Aussie 'manuka'.

The plant that Aussies collect Manuka honey from has been known for generations as "Tea Tree", not Manuka Tree. The only reason Aussie packers are now calling the tea tree honey Manuka is so they gain from all the hard work done by the NZ beekeepers to promote their honey. It may be legal for us Aussies to call our brand of honey Manuka, I for one Aussie beekeeper do not agree with this decision, we should be able to do better in our promotion, without the need to ride on the Kwi back. When ever I hear some one talk of Manuka honey I think of it's NZ origin and so does rest of the world, we should be able to promote an Aussie brand name honey which would make the world think of Australia, not New Zealand.

• Like 2

The plant that Aussies collect Manuka honey from has been known for generations as "Tea Tree", not Manuka Tree. The only reason Aussie packers are now calling the tea tree honey Manuka is so they gain from all the hard work done by the NZ beekeepers to promote their honey. It may be legal for us Aussies to call our brand of honey Manuka, I for one Aussie beekeeper do not agree with this decision, we should be able to do better in our promotion, without the need to ride on the Kwi back. When ever I hear some one talk of Manuka honey I think of it's NZ origin and so does rest of the world, we should be able to promote an Aussie brand name honey which would make the world think of Australia, not New Zealand.

I would be interested to hear an estimate of the Australian production potential for Manuka Honey.

I use the the term Manuka Honey because the rights or wrongs of the matter dont come into it.

If the Assies can get away with using the term they will and so the next issue for NZ is to understand the size of the potential problem then act accordingly.

In my opinion, there is a lot of wishful thinking about Tea Tree honey in Australia at the moment......the talk is about "potential" not "production", there is quite a difference. This last November I took a look at a Tea Tree stand in the South West, after talking to the local farmers in the area who told me "generally the Tea Trees flowering in the area only lasted about three weeks", and further, I could not see any nectar at all in the open flowers. As it happened common sense prevailed and we did not move in our bees to the site.

Plantation Tea Tree honey will not work in our State of WA, we have far to many feral hives in the bush in the higher rainfall areas. We also have a number of beekeepers both amateur and sorry to say, professional, who would gladly send in their bees to a nearby flowering Tea Tree plantation for "free Manuka". New Zealand beekeepers should concentrate on doing what they do best, it seems you are very good at it, sure you are the envy of some Australian beekeepers, should that worry or distract you?

we have far to many feral hives in the bush

Is the beetle having any effect on these ?

• Like 1

On 19/04/2018 at 7:25 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

The Aussies have brought out a Manuka standard of their own

https://www.manukaaustralia.org.au/quality-standards/criteria/

Hahaha... Manic laughter... If only we had it that easy!!!!! My eyes are hanging out after a day of deciphering MPI5 tests... ?

• Like 1