Dave Black

Aussie 'manuka'.

Can manuka survive low temps(winter)?

I doubt it would stand more than a month under snow

Can manuka survive low temps(winter)?

The stuff on the napier taupo road that was covered in snow is alive.... ish....

I doubt it would stand more than a month under snow

I don't think anyone has mentioned that to the vast stands of it that grow all around Waiouru...

I don't think anyone has mentioned that to the vast stands of it that grow all around Waiouru...

Would snow sit there more than a month at a time ?

Would snow sit there more than a month at a time ?

Yes, there are a couple of places waay out the back that it would do occasionally. They would be the same areas that I see helo's flying in multiple truck loads of hives...

Yes, there are a couple of places waay out the back that it would do occasionally. They would be the same areas that I see helo's flying in multiple truck loads of hives...

They must be big trees. The weight of snow damaged the smaller ones along the Napier Taupo.

So there is at least one Manuka bush up there...

The Manuka Gorge gets pretty cold in the winter and there's manuka in Central Otago, which can be fairly cold at times.

I have seen quite large Kanuka killed by severe frost in the Blue Mountains. I think severe frost is probably worse than a bit of snow.

Thanks guys great info from around the country in such a short time.

Basically snow insulates however frost is a big problem to many plants.

Thanks guys great info from around the country in such a short time.

Basically snow insulates however frost is a big problem to many plants.

Snow is also heavy. Breaks branches.

Aussie manuka I like the sound of that maybe our manuka cowboys can send their hives over there to chase the flow

Im sure they already are

I wonder how active the honey will be.

I wonder how active the honey will be.

Knowing the Aussies it will be more active than NZ for sure !

With regard to Australian Manuka/ Tea tree, or whatever they call it the reality may be that the Asian/ Chinese Market may grow to such a huge volume that New Zealand could not possibly supply it.

If we (Australia and NZ) can satisfy the demand globally we would have a better chance of protecting it.

Personally I dont have much confidence in the Western markets going forward.

• Like 1

@frazzledfozzle The Aussie Manuka grown around Yarloop maybe much more active than expected due to the toxic pollutants pumped into the air every day by one of Australia's big aluminum refineries situated nearby. The town's residents have had major health issues directly related to the pollution of this refinery, such that the operating company has bought up a large portion of the houses to prevent being sued for liability, and the previous owners were happy to move out of there asp.
  • Like 1

How can they?

I dont think its possible and a waste of time trying....

Brand is everything! Manuka is the brand, without the name protected the brand gets diluted and we lose control of the product.

Brand is everything! Manuka is the brand, without the name protected the brand gets diluted and we lose control of the product.

Yes but it isn't practical to do so. It is honey from the Manuka bush, if there is no chemical point of difference and no real historical point of difference I don't see how Manuka honey can be 'protected'

• Like 1

I think it's worth a shot because Manuka is a Maori word no question.

NZ has put all the dollars into the science and marketing, even if they got it wrong by taking Kanuka out of the manuka equation.

The Aussies typically are riding on the coat tails of NZ time effort and money.

On the other hand I don't want to see the UMFHA with the rights to the word that would be even worse.

even if they got it wrong by taking Kanuka out of the manuka equation.

I'm puzzled as to why you don't like the distinction between Manuka & Kanuka..

I don't want to go down that track again!

Too late you've already raised it again !

Yes but it isn't practical to do so. It is honey from the Manuka bush, if there is no chemical point of difference and no real historical point of difference I don't see how Manuka honey can be 'protected'

Exactly, The owners of the Brand could call it "Manuka Honey"but the same Honey to another the Beek would be "Nameless Honey"

Maybe we could trademark "Nameless Honey" and grab the sympathy market.