Gavin Smith

Where have all the wasps gone?

150 meters I believe

Make sure the cover is on properly :whistle::bee:[ATTACH=full]17626[/ATTACH]

Is that mostly wasps ??might be worth losing a few bees to get that many wasps

Is that mostly wasps ??might be worth losing a few bees to get that many wasps

All wasps, hadn't cleaned hive mat rim properly so while bees were feeding from inside hive wasps were dying trying to get in. Maybe I could set up a closed feeder on its own just for wasps to investigate. They are a big problem on this site.

All wasps, hadn't cleaned hive mat rim properly so while bees were feeding from inside hive wasps were dying trying to get in. Maybe I could set up a closed feeder on its own just for wasps to investigate. They are a big problem on this site.

Impresssive

Make sure the cover is on properly :whistle::bee:[ATTACH=full]17626[/ATTACH]

@tristan has some great pics of top feeder wasp traps

@tristan did you take all the wasps in all your traps and drop them in there?

Did that many wasps really fly into that feeder !

It would take me at least 3 years to trap that many wasps .

@tristan did you take all the wasps in all your traps and drop them in there?

Did that many wasps really fly into that feeder !

It would take me at least 3 years to trap that many wasps .

yes they did go into that feeder. i've had them to the brim before. there was 3-4 feeders like that on that site.

keep in mind we have not lost hives to wasps even with that many around the hives.

yes they did go into that feeder. i've had them to the brim before. there was 3-4 feeders like that on that site.

keep in mind we have not lost hives to wasps even with that many around the hives.

Was there a reduction in wasp activity around those hives considering the amount trapped in feeders ? Working on the theory of depletion

Was there a reduction in wasp activity around those hives considering the amount trapped in feeders ? Working on the theory of depletion

no idea. there was very few wasps flying around the hives before feeding.

So how did you actually kill all the wasps in the top feeder, poison?

Certainly makes my water in the bottom of a jam jar technique look a bit pathetic

So how did you actually kill all the wasps in the top feeder, poison?

Certainly makes my water in the bottom of a jam jar technique look a bit pathetic

they simply drowned in the syrup.

Not too many around here so far I'm glad to say. Some paper wasps but they don't seem to be bothering the hives much

Killed a couple of nests back in Feb, but haven't seen anywhere near as many wasps around as in previous years, thank goodness.

What's up with wasps and timber. I've noticed them hanging around fence posts and fences, deck. I figured their nest might be close by?

What's up with wasps and timber. I've noticed them hanging around fence posts and fences, deck. I figured their nest might be close by?

Seen the Asian paper wasps hanging around wooden fence railings and posts and the other kind loiter around bee hives mostly up to no good..

They'll be paper wasps looking for fibre, and their nest/s will be under the roofing iron overhanging your house guttering.

How is everyone else finding the wasps at the moment? Over the last month / six weeks they've been pretty full on over multiple sites up here....

How is everyone else finding the wasps at the moment? Over the last month / six weeks they've been pretty full on over multiple sites up here....

We had lots early in the season but hardly any for the past month or so.

Seeing quite a few queen wasps around lately, in general all my sites are being hassled...they work a long day regardless of the weather. Do hard frosts have any impact on wasps ??

Do hard frosts have any impact on wasps ??

They can reduce the number of successfully overwintering nests, but they won't affect the solitary hibernating queens.

Late spring frosts are good for killing small nests.

They can reduce the number of successfully overwintering nests, but they won't affect the solitary hibernating queens.

Late spring frosts are good for killing small nests.

And potatoes

They keep trying here but not in the numbers of last season. I haven't been able to interest them in Vespex at all this season gone. They just act as if it doesn't exist!

It is normally at its worst for us at this time of year, I had been hoping with all the rain we had in March and April which was several times over historical averages, that many of the nests would be drowned, not so. Will need to keep baiting but it is difficult when wasps are on the sugar not the protein.