Gavin Smith

Where have all the wasps gone?

Saw my first worker wasp for the year today. Need to see a few more before I break out the vespex.

Saw my first worker wasp for the year today. Need to see a few more before I break out the vespex.

I saw my first wasp yesterday.

They are never much of a problem here.

I wonder how much our cold wet summer will affect the numbers

I saw my first wasp yesterday.

They are never much of a problem here.

I wonder how much our cold wet summer will affect the numbers

I think that reduced forage will be a more significant factor limiting their numbers. Less nectar and fewer insects feeding on nectar means less protein and carb available to wasps.

I think that reduced forage will be a more significant factor limiting their numbers. Less nectar and fewer insects feeding on nectar means less protein and carb available to wasps.

a lot of hives will have significantly reduced bee numbers so while wasp numbers will almost certainly be down the amount of damage they can do will be up and they may be even more desperate for food than normal.

lots of wasps hanging out round here the last week or so, getting in everywhere.... friggen things...

Dont think they on our property, but I have a suspicion they will be on a new neighbours place, they were there last year... guess I should go and investigate

Well today has been rather eventful on the stinging front . I started the day putting cells in a few splits , using the last cell on my angry hive . Had to retreat after taking the honey supers off to clear the little mutts off my veil . Then it was a quick insert cell close up and retreat . Glad they are the only hive like it .

Then it was off to do some fencing in a rough stump infested paddock . Ole mate punched a post straight through a wasp nest and it was all on . Of course he ran straight towards me so instead of him taking a few stings and me laughing , we were both running and swatting the mongrels . The stings are a lot hotter than bees especially on wrists , armpits and on the head . They are persistent little so an so's chasing us over 100m ! Sounds like I have been nominated to finish the fence in my beesuit .

• Like 1

I have killed 4 with the ole number 8 boot today. Little buggars were attacking the bees on the landing but not succeeding so reverted to chopping up and carting away the cast out bees on the lawn.

Closed up the entrance a little bit, however don't think they're after honey ...yet.

They will still be feeding their grubs protein.

We have no wasps, not complaining, just saying is all. I am picking the horrendously wet spring drowned many of the new start queens hives. What are others experiences this season??

Gavin, I found all your wasps. They just turned up on the barrier !! Last week none, this week heaps of them.

Gavin, I found all your wasps. They just turned up on the barrier !! Last week none, this week heaps of them.

What a wonderful place for them to holiday, they can stay as long as they like.

Since the weather has improved, with 2 days over 30deg in a row yay and no wind, I'm getting a dozen wasps a day. I need to know where they are hanging out.

Rotten hua's

@Doughy, interested in trying some Vespex on the sods & see if they will take it?

If the vespex doesn't get them , a look around just on sunrise is often a good time to spy the nests . I found two more good sized nests today that I have been driving past every day . Just happened to drive past when they all started pouring out for their days hunting .

@Ali What are you using as lure, Are you getting good success?

Problem with finding a nest is the habitat in my locale is quite dense and steep. There would certainly be some good hidey-holes under the trees. They arent attacking the hive, yet, but are killing and eating the kicked out bee's/drones.

I put out some Vespex today and I think the wasps were taking it from one of the bait stations as I left for work. A check tomorrow will tell.

Yep, they're back! Put vespex out yesterday.

I am confused by the posts which are using Vespex at this season. I had the idea that it was to be used in Spring. I believe the product is protein based and the mode of action is for the insecticide to be carried back to the starting wasp nests and kill them.

Clarification please.

If they are eating it, we are feeding it. It is protein based and they seem to be taking it now.

@Barbarian protein is the food of choice for wasps so long as there are grubs in the nest. Spring foraging for nectar is normally the queens coming out of hibernation.

Why wasps eat protein? Well wasps can't actually digest protein but they chew it then feed it to the grubs who can. In turn the grubs produce a waste product, like a honey dew, which the wasps eat. It is said this is like a drug to the wasps and drives them to get more. After queen ceases laying and no grubs to feed the wasp changes tactics and hunts out nectar and honey. Nectar and honey can be digested by wasps.

Hope this helps

We've nearly reached out threshold for Vespex. Maybe set baits next weekend. Certainly within the next two weeks I expect.

Wasps have just started appearing at Tiniroto.

Passed my vespex approved user course last week and now eagerly awaiting my first product order to arrive to dispatch the little ######s.

Interesting reading about Vespex... seems to work well.

Anyone in canty an approved user? As much as I would like to do it, its not a cheap thing to start.

Cant afford the vespex polava at the mo so I have made a batch of sardine al la fipronil.

Seems they are loving it.

I'm starting to get an idea of their hideout. Wasps tend to fly in straight lines from a to b.

Thought I had a pretty smart fish w fip blend and it did actually mostly work. But Vespex is better. I think it's just that the consistency is perfect for wasps to come in chop off a ball of it and fly, and no liquid so they don't have to drink any and die quick.

I haven't seen any wasps around yet. Those dozen or so queens I trapped in the spring must have helped.

@Doughy, I tried a little bit back in Spring on it's own with no lure and they took it! Sat there cleaning themselves after sampling but I don't have any about for Autumn yet thankfully.

I plan to try fish bait pillie & other scrap fish if they appear.

Beauty is you don't have to find the nests, they find the bait & it's goodbye nests!

PM me if you want to give it a go, I have enough to go round. Only good wasp is a dead un.