Where have all the wasps gone?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After my last post I found a Queen wasp in the lounge! R.I.P. Also, not too many bumbles around yet and no sign yet of fluffy bums - we call them V-bombers after the Vulcan, - if you're young Google Vulcan. Last February we were down in Nelson and Murchison regions on holiday and couldn't believe how many bumble bees you have down there, although they seemed to be smaller than the ones here.

After my last post I found a Queen wasp in the lounge! R.I.P. Also, not too many bumbles around yet and no sign yet of fluffy bums - we call them V-bombers after the Vulcan, - if you're young Google Vulcan. Last February we were down in Nelson and Murchison regions on holiday and couldn't believe how many bumble bees you have down there, although they seemed to be smaller than the ones here.

Arhhh they'll be smallcellbumblebees, the guy from Gizzy is going national.

when wasp numbers were down there is an increase in the number of insect pests on fruit and vegetables

I never gave that a thought while I was burning out the wasp nest I found in an old swing frame. Prepared to sacrifice the wife's garden to protect my bees ;)

And I got to use the new propane burner that the wife got me for Xmas :)

• Like 1
We have no wasps, not complaining, just saying is all. I am picking the horrendously wet spring drowned many of the new start queens hives. What are others experiences this season??

Ive been using VESPEX [summer-autumn ] last year and my wasp population is nil at the moment.

• Like 1

I checked on a site in a scrub covered block yesterday , and added a few supers to give the bees a bit of room . As I was leaving I saw a 3 m high totara surrounded by what Looked like a small swarm of bees .

As I got closer I realised they were wasps hunting . Hundreds of the mongrels . Never saw any around the hives so better get them poisoned before they cause trouble . Seems patchy though . At home last summer the hedges were alive with wasps hunting and we had no flies at all . This year , no sign of wasps yet and heaps of flies !

• Like 1

Yes I'm the same. I've gone from not seeing any at all to in the last three or four days seeing the odd one or more at sites, one of which was trying to get into a hive and was being rebuffed.

The other thing I've noticed in the last three or four days is robbing, I hadn't seen any sign of it at all, and then opened a few hives up that are on a mild kanuka flow and the bees were into them. And today I was looking to place new cells in some mini mating nucs and the bees launched out the top, broken combs etc clearly robbing going on. Had to repopulate that nuc.

The paper Wasp queen who's nest is in my profile picture lives on my deck. So far she has failed to raise any offspring she lost her first larvae in the wet weather a few weeks back and now has capped brood (capped a few days before xmas)

Yes, they appear harmless and fun to watch until ........ late autumn when they become very aggressive and territorial. Get prepared to be chased and stung :eek:

Harmless? Not if you are trying to raise Monarch butterflies! I now have to get a plant laid on, then put fine netting over it to wasp proof the plant if I want to raise any grubs- and that is due only to the paper wasp. Previously the problem was too many grubs- not enough leaf.