myrtle4

More Hive Thefts

Following on from my last post re hive thefts. Today we went to a site, all our hives are there, little bee activity, on opening hives we find that all the frames and bees are GONE!!!!! Starting to feel overwhelmed right now....

That's horrible. I hope the police can help.

That is absolute crap. Why can't we cut peoples fingers off?

• Like 2

Absolute lowlifes . Must admit , a few sites I turn up to I hold my breath until my hives come into view . Not nice wondering whether your hives will be there or not . Hope you find out who the rats are .

Little lowlives. I feel so gutted for you all.

Theres no words to say, i feel for you, its a horrible experience and to have it twice in as many days is doubly tough.

I hope they get caught and I hope its soon.

I hate whats happening in our industry right now its just sickening.

Theres no words to say, i feel for you, its a horrible experience and to have it twice in as many days is doubly tough.

I hate whats happening in our industry right now its just sickening.[/QUO

I hate whats happening in our industry right now its just sickening.

Only had 9 hives taken here as it has alot of the GWA honey which is quite crappy. Had some just over the hill, really close, but out of site, they were beaut hives, the thieves missed them, we have moved them now:) Must have taken them a while to swap over frames, especially as it was viewable from road, even though away from roadside, must have been late in day as no bees left behind, except for a half depth box, which must have been too hard to get frames out that they left behind, full of honey and bees..

Only had 9 hives taken here as it has alot of the GWA honey which is quite crappy. Had some just over the hill, really close, but out of site, they were beaut hives, the thieves missed them, we have moved them now:) Must have taken them a while to swap over frames, especially as it was viewable from road, even though away from roadside, must have been late in day as no bees left behind, except for a half depth box, which must have been too hard to get frames out that they left behind, full of honey and bees..

Thing is i dont think how view-able or what time of the day it is matters, Unless the actual owner happens by, we cannot expect Joe public seeing a few guys working on hives in bee suits to assume anything else but the actual owners are working there hives.

That is absolute crap. Why can't we cut peoples fingers off?

You can if you catch them, and if I wasn't so far away I'd be more than happy to bring a spade around to help you bury the big bits.

Sadly I think the days of being able to rely on the majority of people being decent and honest is long gone.

I'd be treating myself to a game camera or 2 in the boxing day sales and getting them discreetly set in place ASAP.

My thoughts are with you Myrtle, I know how violated you feel after a theft. Hoping the scumbags make a mistake and get caught soon.

Unless everyone with hives in the area gets familiar with each other. In this example I drive thru glen murray at least 2 times a week and my wife 3 times. But I couldn't tell you who owns what hives or what their vehicle looks like. To be fair, never passed thru as anyone's working their hives. Maybe it's time to make an effort to meet your neighborhood beekeepers....

• Like 2

Hi @Danman, I'm the guy who dropped a dozen pallets across the road from your apiary. That two acre block is looking great, heaps to go around. Hoping we can be friends and look out for each other's gear.

Kind regards, NE Beek

Is that how it goes?

Unless everyone with hives in the area gets familiar with each other. In this example I drive thru glen murray at least 2 times a week and my wife 3 times. But I couldn't tell you who owns what hives or what their vehicle looks like. To be fair, never passed thru as anyone's working their hives. Maybe it's time to make an effort to meet your neighborhood beekeepers....

The best advice is not to have a site that is visible from the road. None of my sites can be seen from the road, I just won't risk it. The fewer people who know you have hives at a spot, the better. I even mention to land owners that I'd prefer they didn't mention that the hives are there to too many people, as I'm concerned about hive theft.

Fair call guys, all my hives are up the back of large farms and none visible from the road. Was just a thought for the locals but yeah, not really gonna work is it unfortunately.

OK, Dad's site's have been there 30 odd years for the frame stealing ones, and last year the ex Crewe farm, bought them of Ed Hillarys brother Rex 50 odd years ago. Friends have hives near, they got robbed last year as well. Dad is a well known beekeeper, president of Comb Honey Producers for along time now. Dad also is the person who instigated feeding of bees in orchards 30 odd years ago, took a patent out for a while. We just do our beekeeping work, me and Dad, try to keep a low profile. We know our fellow beekeepers, just not the ones who sneak in and steal them!!!!

OK, Dad's site's have been there 30 odd years for the frame stealing ones, and last year the ex Crewe farm, bought them of Ed Hillarys brother Rex 50 odd years ago. Friends have hives near, they got robbed last year as well. Dad is a well known beekeeper, president of Comb Honey Producers for along time now. Dad also is the person who instigated feeding of bees in orchards 30 odd years ago, took a patent out for a while. We just do our beekeeping work, me and Dad, try to keep a low profile. We know our fellow beekeepers, just not the ones who sneak in and steal them!!!!

The x Crewe farm is the farm owned by Jeanette and Harvey Crewe that were murdered back around late 1960s.

Also Danman, Dad has a white landcruiser with male parts hanging by number plate, a first in the country I believe, been there a long time now, neighbourhood beekeepers and locals do know our vehicles....

A wee joke, you drive thru twice a week? Different times of year we are thru everyday. Our vehicle is a white landcruiser with personalised male parts by number plates, ask Kim at Lockiel Station...

Could you give me your number please? just PM is fine...

B224, on all boxes...

I think you north island beeks would be pretty surprised at how close to the road and visible a lot of the hive groups are in my area are .

There was one incidence of some boxes stolen a few years ago but he was just the local thief and not a beek.

Some cameras were put up and it has not happened again .

In the sounds if you're not careful you'll run some over

• Like 1

At our place there were happening for pretty long time - odd colony missing. Complete hives, only frames, placed empty combs instead of taken.. At the end it turned to be beek from our local asocciation in company with one nonbeek ( " beek" was mastermind).. It turned out he did that due to his disastrous beekeeping practice ( each season 50% or more overwintering losses). And as said none misfortune come alone, with frame swaping from different apiaries he spreaded AFB ( this not proven, but we are not that blind)..

I think you north island beeks would be pretty surprised at how close to the road and visible a lot of the hive groups are in my area are .

There was one incidence of some boxes stolen a few years ago but he was just the local thief and not a beek.

Some cameras were put up and it has not happened again .

It is not wise to disclose this kind of sensitive information! The hive thieves from up north might be rocking up in your area soon now that they know that there's easy prey.....

It is not wise to disclose this kind of sensitive information! The hive thieves from up north might be rocking up in your area soon now that they know that there's easy prey.....

don't worry about it, the thieves are well known to travel the entire island stealing hives.

Maybe, but unlikely

It seems most hive thefts are for Manuka and there are no hives in this area at all until Dec.

And Manuka is all over then.

Where is GB

Maybe, but unlikely

It seems most hive thefts are for Manuka and there are no hives in this area at all until Dec.

And Manuka is all over then.

Where is GB

Great Britain

• Like 1

had a call last night whilst still on way home from a fellow beekeeper whom in similar area had 32 hives stolen last couple of nights aroundabout

Same area ish?

getting a little late in the year for stealing hives is'n it. Maybe wait till the crops on and then start stealing that .....