• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All my queen excluders have a notch about a cm wide taken out as a top entrance

Snapped moments ago. They use them alright

Posted Images

Do any of you run a second entry above your queen excluded? I am looking at adding one on the same principle as the bottom entrance maby only half the size.

Hi. I have a couple of Technoset queen excluders with front entry. The theory is the bees can access the honey box and not have to travel up through the hive. Nice theory, but neither hive seems to use it. They keep using the main entrance the same as the rest of the hives. No noticeable honey increase from the other hives with normal plastic qe on.

Using the top entrance or defending it?

Keep in mind queen excluder doesn't work well if she can go around the outside (insert slim shady joke).

One hive would only use the top entrance. I think there was something about the site, which was facing a hedge. Maybe it was easier to get airborne. There were guard bees at the bottom but no traffic.

I have had a queen above the excluder once on another hive but that was most likely beekeeper error.

And why did that go into italics?

I am running six hives with brood on top! Top box has a 25mm hole entrance. The excluder is under the brood box and honey boxes below. Bess use both entrances en masse. One hive is now four full depth supers honey and one brood on top. Happy with the result so far.

Experiment? Very interesting

Yes experiment. My thinking goes along the lines of

I am playing with an idea. Honey boxes get heavy and i am am getting older and feeling it. ( There i have admitted it)

So if the brood is on top i can check the hive without lifting every box. Bees in a tree trunk build the hive downwards so maybe its a natural way for the hive to run. So far looks promising. Top brood box has own 25mm hole entrance with little landing board, bottom is fully open as per normal. Bees running pollen mostly go straight into brood entrance. Bottom entrance very busy as normal with big hives. Will see if i can post a pic. I looked across the net but could not find any reference to this being done or if it was useful.

• Like 1
Yes experiment. My thinking goes along the lines of

I am playing with an idea. Honey boxes get heavy and i am am getting older and feeling it. ( There i have admitted it)

So if the brood is on top i can check the hive without lifting every box. Bees in a tree trunk build the hive downwards so maybe its a natural way for the hive to run. So far looks promising. Top brood box has own 25mm hole entrance with little landing board, bottom is fully open as per normal. Bees running pollen mostly go straight into brood entrance. Bottom entrance very busy as normal with big hives. Will see if i can post a pic. I looked across the net but could not find any reference to this being done or if it was useful.

Thanks for the info. I am going to rearrange a couple of hives and give it a go.

• Like 1
Are you physically moving the full honey frames down rather than putting honey supers under the brood box?

i am under supering the brood box. Largest hive is four supers full of honey with single brood ontop. Yesterday i tookthe odd outer frame of honey from brood and moved it down replacing it with undrawn frame mid brood. They do as you say encapsulate the whole brood area with honey but also happily fill the boxes below. Will keep going with them for now.

Today I rearranged some hives and put the brood box on top .

This one had a old 3 year old failing queen, so she's been despatched and the hive will make a new one. There are two 3/4 brood boxes on top here so it will be interesting to see which entrance the new queen returns to

image.jpg.0e3b095d684af9b4cc712fe62efea8a2.jpg

My immediate observation is that the bees use the top (mid) entrance straight away.

Its certainly going to be easier checking brood without lifting the honey supers off

image.jpg.0e3b095d684af9b4cc712fe62efea8a2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Experiment over. Did not find any advantage to it. Lifting off the brood box was no better than moving honey boxes. I felt the bees

were less inclined to fill out each honey box. Brood chamber was as Faz expected more honey choked. I think smaller brood area meant less varroa. Best hive produced 90 kg honey. av less than standard hives this season (40kg av). One produced a second queen below the excluder. Ended up being a two queen hive. All in all not worth the time, back to hefting big boxes.

• Like 1