jamesc

polystyrene nucs

9 minutes ago, BennyBee said:

Any samples yet @Philbee

Nope,

All was set up and then they sent and invoice for the freight

so by the time that was transferred another day went by.

$15 holds up the nation.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Nope,

All was set up and then they sent and invoice for the freight

so by the time that was transferred another day went by.

$15 holds up the nation.

Ugh, the suspense is killing me! xD I'm off to find something decent to watch on Netflix

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently they are going on courier tomorrow(Tuesday) for probable Thursday delivery

Suppliers like this lot make others look really good.

• Like 2

I understand the convenience of polystyrene. It is an amazingly versatile product. But shouldn't we find something more durable & recyclable? (Even safely combustible, ie AFB)

Yep it comes from trees but polly keeps the bee nice and warm 

24 minutes ago, glynn said:

Yep it comes from trees but polly keeps the bee nice and warm 

I guess that's especially relevant to nucs and their smaller size/population. That makes sense. Thanks

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I understand the convenience of polystyrene. It is an amazingly versatile product. But shouldn't we find something more durable & recyclable? (Even safely combustible, ie AFB)

Polystyrene is very recyclable. Trouble is it's too voluminous and consequently inefficient to transport to the recycling plant. I find it odd that no regional authority has come up with a way to dissolve poly for more efficient collection

• Good Info 1

33 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Polystyrene is very recyclable. Trouble is it's too voluminous and consequently inefficient to transport to the recycling plant. I find it odd that no regional authority has come up with a way to dissolve poly for more efficient collection

low density polystyrene dissolves in petrol, but the toxic goup that produces seems pretty awful (?).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

I find it odd that no regional authority has come up with a way to dissolve poly for more efficient collection

Polystyrene compactors are available... they squish the eps like a big sausage grinder into polystyrene which is quite a bit more dense and transportable than eps. The problem then is finding a plastics manufacturer that can find a use for grotty polystyrene  (eg I imagine the market for dirty cd jewel cases is rather limited).

9 hours ago, chorrylan said:

Polystyrene compactors are available... they squish the eps like a big sausage grinder into polystyrene which is quite a bit more dense and transportable than eps. The problem then is finding a plastics manufacturer that can find a use for grotty polystyrene  (eg I imagine the market for dirty cd jewel cases is rather limited).

It could be used for wall  or. Floor insulation .

• Agree 1

mix it with petrol and it becomes a gum like substance about 1% of the original volume 

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

mix it with petrol and it becomes a gum like substance about 1% of the original volum

AKA Napalm

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Attention all campers.

The Nuc sample has been cut and is on the managers desk for very special wrapping that will protect it from damage during the long voyage from Auckland to Taupo.

In other words the job is done allbe it a bit late and will miss the courier for Friday delivery.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Well what a hard case this outfit is.

The nuc arrived but just one of each component 

I cant be bothered with this sort of service so will not pursue this project though this company but will look around for other options, possibly China

Anyway attached is a photo of what arrived and it has potential I believe.

maybe for next season

poly nuc.jpg

Edited by Philbee
  • Confused 1

The lad probably hacked it out with a coping saw...they obviously don't see much future in  it

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

The lad probably hacked it out with a coping saw...they obviously don't see much future in  it

Its actually the basis of an outstanding Nuc box for a very good price.

Maybe they saw that?

its the new open plan bee nuc. 

• Haha 2

Is that wooden frame support part of the plan? Just, I have worked with nucs designed that way before and they are a pain, because the bees can build comb between the end bar and the wall and getting the combs out is a difficult, bee squishing exercise.

Edited by Alastair

This looks good .... go ask for the rest of it. Maybe the girl in the office packed it up .... What was the price .... and Lid ?

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

Is that wooden frame support part of the plan? Just, I have worked with nucs designed that way before and they are a pain, because the bees can build comb between the end bar and the wall and getting the combs out is a difficult, bee squishing exercise.

Hard to see in the pic, it's resting on a ledge so the issue you mention won't happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Is the grade EPS 40 Polysyrene it looks to be fairly soft and no where near as dense as the Paradise boxes. Which I know is EPS 100

48 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Is the grade EPS 40 Polysyrene it looks to be fairly soft and no where near as dense as the Paradise boxes. Which I know is EPS 100

40kg/m^3 versus 100kg/m^3 (2.5x denser).

100 is still only 1/10th of water 1000kg/m^3, so quite light either way.

Edited by ChrisM

7 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

40kg/m^3 versus 100kg/m^3 (2.5x denser).

100 is still only 1/10th of water 1000kg/m^3, so quite light either way.

Yes. I understand that.  I was just commenting that the sample poly did not look very dense. More like Chilly bin density.

• Agree 1