jamesc

polystyrene nucs

One thing Ive learned from mass producing components for bee boxes/ nuc etc.

Every operation takes a lot of time to preform and to handle.

What is a 5 min job when doing one is a substantial job when doing 100.

Then handling, sacking doubles the job.

Edited by Philbee
typo

7 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I did consider the frame rebate being cut out on a saw.

it does leave a raw edge though.

The complexity of the shape is almost irrelevant due to the CNC and makes the assembly much stronger and quicker to assemble accurately 

The glue takes a lot less load .

My main concerns are about the lid design

If a telescoping poly lid could not be milled as one piece perhaps an option is to make the Top and a separate one piece rim that can be glued on to the top is included in the drawing set?

3 minutes ago, dansar said:

If a telescoping poly lid could not be milled as one piece perhaps an option is to make the Top and a separate one piece rim that can be glued on to the top is included in the drawing set?

Yes.

The cnc cant plunge a hole but can cut in and make a rim that would not be fully joined but because it gets glued to the top slab it wouldn't matter.

If the rims were made in halfs they could be nested so as to save material

Good one

Edited by Philbee
clarity
  • Like 1

If they are the ones I've seen the apiflora boxes have a partition for an internal/integral feeder.

Is it worthwhile to have a feeder in these nuc's?

4 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

If they are the ones I've seen the apiflora boxes have a partition for an internal/integral feeder.

Is it worthwhile to have a feeder in these nuc's?

Ive not seen FD boxes with feeders but the design so far is 180mm wide inside so would easily take 4 frames and a frame feeder

14 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Yes.

The cnc cant plunge a hole but can cut in and make a rim that would not be fully joined but because it gets glued to the top slab it wouldn't matter.

If the rims were made in halfs they could be nested so as to save material

Good one

So it's a CNC hot wire? What is the cutting width?

2 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

So it's a CNC hot wire? What is the cutting width?

Yes hot wire about .25mm (10 thou) I think.

Bloke who I spoke to was guessing but said it was very thin

Edited by Philbee
clarity

7 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Yes hot wire about .25mm (10 thou) I think.

Bloke who I spoke to was guessing but said it was very thin

Hmmm for 0.5mm slop you could cut adjacent ends and sides in one pass. They'd still assemble evenly as they datum against the base plate. Would save a lot of material.

2 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

@Jamo I think you missed the bit where

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Yes but would have to reinvent my bank account.

I will admit that when I first saw the price I thought they were expensive but then I remembered back to when we bought some mini poly nucs off Steve sometime ago and they cost us the same as a queen. Now you can buy a full size 5 fm nuc for less than the cost of a queen.

Does that make the 5 fm nuc cheep or the queen expensive?

2 minutes ago, Jamo said:

I will admit that when I first saw the price I thought they were expensive but then I remembered back to when we bought some mini poly nucs off Steve sometime ago and they cost us the same as a queen. Now you can buy a full size 5 fm nuc for less than the cost of a queen.

Does that make the 5 fm nuc cheep or the queen expensive?

Both

Queens have gone up and products have gone down.

If that company cuts the parts from a normal 2400x1200 sheet why is cheaper? Can't we cut that by ourselves? So far I couldn't find cheap sheets.

8 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

If that company cuts the parts from a normal 2400x1200 sheet why is cheaper? Can't we cut that by ourselves? So far I couldn't find cheap sheets.

CNC machines are accurate to within a tenth of a mm or there abouts, they work at the highest speed that is possible for the cutting means which in this case is very fast , I have been told.

These people make the foam so the only significant shipping costs are for shipping the flat packs.

It is possible to just order strips of foam and cut up your own components but the saving doesn't stack up.

For the nuc I have outlined BUT without the interlocking corners I have a quote for $9.40 +gst each plus frieght for a run of 10 nucs.

As the number of nucs  goes up the price each comes down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Can you make a drawing also for 3/4 nucs.

OK

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

OK

I would have said what about "please " ?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Lol its  an extra word to type

Edited by Philbee
typo

i think i would like just a slip over poly cover for my HD nucs, with holes that line up to vent and access holes in the nuc.

Edited by kaihoka
spelling

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

i think i would like just a slip over poly cover for my HD nucs, with holes that line up to vent and access holes in the nuc.

Im working on a telescopic lid.

The mat would need to be a sheet of canvas or Hardboard

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, yesbut said:

Yes,  Very much, my bad.

Thanks you @Philbee for your positive reply.

Please, please.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Philbee said:

Ive not seen FD boxes with feeders but the design so far is 180mm wide inside so would easily take 4 frames and a frame feeder

oops, sorry, I had polystyrene mini-mating nuc's in my mind; the tiny little boxes the combs are on top bars and are about ~100mm square. wrong thing entirely.

Edited by ChrisM
  • Haha 1

Would it be to hard to make them 6 frame nucs then you could have 5 frames and a feeder. 

I like to get more than one use for my gear double mating nucs are over winterd with a super my paradise 3 frame mating nucs get the devider removed and over winter with the feeder on for extra warmth ect if I only used gear for mating I would not be able to move for containers it's hard enough keeping track of what part of Canterbury what is

7 minutes ago, glynn said:

Would it be to hard to make them 6 frame nucs then you could have 5 frames and a feeder. 

I like to get more than one use for my gear double mating nucs are over winterd with a super my paradise 3 frame mating nucs get the devider removed and over winter with the feeder on for extra warmth ect if I only used gear for mating I would not be able to move for containers it's hard enough keeping track of what part of Canterbury what is

Nothing is impossible. The base model could be set as a 5 frame and a set of drawings made for 3 and 6 frame options. I am sure Phil is busy enough but  it would be a great addition to the set of CAD plans

25 minutes ago, glynn said:

Its a proverbial stroke of a pen.

Its definitely something Ive been looking at.

My frames are 33mm

x6 =198mm

+say 16mm

=214mm Inside measurement 

=294mm overal box width

• Like 2

Just did a quick sketch out and I think it is possible to recover a full 5 frame nuc from a sheet of 1200x600. that includes roof with telescoping sections, floor, ends and sides. Although with a raw materials supplier they can supply  a better sized product to suit the process,  Interesting subject. Thanks @Philbee

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, dansar said:

Just did a quick sketch out and I think it is possible to recover a full 5 frame nuc from a sheet of 1200x600. that includes roof with telescoping sections, floor, ends and sides. Although with a raw materials supplier they can supply  a better sized product to suit the process,  Interesting subject. Thanks @Philbee

Ive just done the same.

I get a very loose 2.5 boxes per sheet.

However if each item was give a full sheet of repetitions then I see 3 per sheet probably 

Boxes per sheet.jpg